Manchester United Talk banner

Which of these made the best defensive partnership for United down the years ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With O'Shea saying Rio and Vidic are Europe's best......

I was thinking who is best they ever had in defence ?

I make poll here with a few of the better ones....

What do you think ?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Pally and Bruce did it over a long period of time. They (along with Schmeichel) were the foundation of us winning the first and many Premiership titles. Rio and Vida are easily the best paring since Pally and Bruce but they need to do it over many seasons to be considered as good and as reliable as P & B.
It is uncanny how similar the 2 pairings are. Vidic is as brave as Bruce was. They would stick their heads anywhere. Pally could play like Rio. Smooth and effortless style of play and they could both defend for fun.
So Pally and Bruce for me but only for now.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Bruce and Pallister were the rock of our team over the early years of domiance in the 90's. At the moment it is Bruce and Pallister but if Vida and Rio play together for many more years then i can see them being more successfull. I would have loved to have seen Vidic and Stam play together i say they would have been amazing!

Vida and Rio are the best pairing we have had since Bruce and Pallister.

P.S I thought the pairing of Stam and Johnsen was a good defensive partership

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The problem is your memories are so short. Crerand & Foulkes; Where is japp stam? Duncan Edwards (easily the best EVER).

·
Registered
788 Posts
In my option Vidic and Rio are only playing together fully in their 2nd full season together were as Bruce and Pallister played together for 7 years together at the heart of our team, I think that Vida and Rio are brillant but i think it needs to be maybe another season or two to be like Bruce and Pallister and achieve what they did in there 7years playing together, 1 1/2 seasons if that isnt long enough!!

Dont get me wrong, Vida and Rio are the best defensive pairing since them but i dont think 1 1/2 years is long enough to compare to a pairing of 7+ years palying together. I hope that they play longer than Bruce and Pallister did for United. Only time will tell. Both are the best on the planet at the moment!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Pally and Bruce did it over a long period of time. They (along with Schmeichel) were the foundation of us winning the first and many Premiership titles. Rio and Vida are easily the best paring since Pally and Bruce but they need to do it over many seasons to be considered as good and as reliable as P & B.
It is uncanny how similar the 2 pairings are. Vidic is as brave as Bruce was. They would stick their heads anywhere. Pally could play like Rio. Smooth and effortless style of play and they could both defend for fun.
agreed, this is exactly what i would of put, the only differance mine would of had spelling mistakes :)

why do you keep saying duncan edwards when he was a midfielder wasn't he?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Edwards was very versatile, Centre-half, centre-mid, centre-forward. Anywhere.
Bobby Charlton to this day still thinks Duncan was the best player he ever saw(or so I think).

Jaap Stam and Ronny Johnsen had a good partnership too.

It's hard to say really...from those options..Pallister and Bruce...the Vidic and Rio partnership is still young.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red Devil said:
The problem is your memories are so short. Crerand & Foulkes; Where is japp stam? Duncan Edwards (easily the best EVER).
It's not our memories that are too short Mr Devil sir...........it's your life that is too long

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
At a guess i'd just say that people who voted for Ferdinand and Vidic didn't really get to see Bruce and Pallister play?

IMO pally and bruce where better players. Vidic and Ferdinand have had more success at international level though...

Its great to be able to even discuss this anyway!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
all the young posters have gone for rio and vidic

and all the older posters who have seen both partnerships perform have gone for bruce and pally so in my eyes bruce and pally have won this poll

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
andycole9 said:

and all the older posters who have seen both partnerships perform have gone for bruce and pally so in my eyes bruce and pally have won this poll
How ?

Democratic poll Mr Cole.............

Only 17 votes though - maybe too much effort for people to vote !!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Rio and Vidic is still a relatively new partnership and whilst they have been top notch and quite possibly the best centre-back pairing in the Prem at the mo I still have to give it to Pallister & Bruce - United legends the pair of them.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
andycole9 said:

And in my eyes too ;)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
andycole9 said:

Oi, I'm still young! :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts