Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm 21, and will only name players from my life time.

As a young'un, it was all about the goals for me, and so players like Cole and Yorke i loved. I didn't fully understand the mechanics of the game so naturally i idolised our strikers. Ruud was a big part of my life in school as well, he was a machine! Every game i got to watch the man found the back of the net...

Scholes and Giggs, for their ability, patriotism and service.

But i can happily say, Rooney. He is not just a target for the midfield. He is the midfield, he is a striker, he can score, his vision and ability are amazing.

I'm not sure how our former greats would fair in the game of today, so i wont even start. But from my generation, as an all round player, Wayne Rooney.

It is hard to mention greatest ever players, when my personal pick isn't typically at peak form...

I'm sure Best and all the others will get loads of votes, but i'd hate to just say his name because everyone else does or because i've seen the odd 10 second clip on TV.

Jesus i almost forgot Eric Cantona...my Step Dad was not a big fan of football but he did love to watch United and was always harping on about Cantona. When we played footy in primary school you could always pick a player. I was always Cantona!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
George Best will probably be most people's vote and I think Eric will come in second.

At a club which has seen so many magnificent players it is difficult to pick, but I think George Best really dominated the game during his time and inspired people.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Probably Duncan Edwards. But, obviously I've never seen him play along with other greats such as Best, Law, Charlton etc.

From those players I have actually seen playing, Paul Scholes is the one that stands out for me.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
George Best.

I never got to see him play in my lifetime, but i've seen lots of clips and videos that would leave you in amazement of how good he actually was.

Best is Best.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
For me its George Best. He could do things no one else could or has been able to since. And thats only what gets caught on camera too, as I'm not fortunate enough to have been in this world when he was here! Its such a shame that he went the way he did, nobody had had that fame before so there was no advice or guidance for him to keep him on track. Who knows how he could have faired in the modern game where you don't get hacked like you used to and there are people who can guide you away from the fame and the drink.

The one who means the most to me is Cantona though, don't even need to explain why.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
The problem with making a thread like this is that not only is it bloody difficult but younger fans, such as myself, never got to see Best, Law, Edwards, Robson or Charlton play, and we only have a limited amount of clips to see what they were like. I was too young really to actually appreciate Cantona, although I did see him play in some games.

For me, I grew up watching Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes - they've been the best for me. Both are outstanding footballers with amazing skill and longevity; two of the best players ever in the premier league. I don't know if Best was better than Giggs and Charlton was better than Scholes though, cos I'm too young to have seen either in their pomp.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
The problem with making a thread like this is that not only is it bloody difficult but younger fans, such as myself, never got to see Best, Law, Edwards, Robson or Charlton play, and we only have a limited amount of clips to see what they were like. I was too young really to actually appreciate Cantona, although I did see him play in some games.

For me, I grew up watching Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes - they've been the best for me. Both are outstanding footballers with amazing skill and longevity; two of the best players ever in the premier league. I don't know if Best was better than Giggs and Charlton was better than Scholes though, cos I'm too young to have seen either in their pomp.
Good post.

You should only judge based on what you see.

Anyone who's 30 or younger has no business talking about Best,
Charlton, Edwards [who has become something of a cult figure
since Febuary '08 - before that nobody knew his name] and Law.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Unfortunately I never saw Duncan Edwards but in my lifetime it has to be George Best by a golden mile.Apart from all the stuff that everyone is familiar with people forget that he could tackle back and nick the ball like a burglar in the night.Heaven knows what he would make of todays crop of forwards who drop dead at the merest whiff of a full backs bootlaces.Nine times out of ten George would either avoid or ride the tackle ---stay on his feet---and score like as not.Absolute genius.
Also from that era people forget just how good Sir Bobby was.More recently Cantona,Giggs,Scholes and Keane are stand outs.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For me it has to be Cantona, the guy was a God. I thought Ronaldo would be our greatest until his exploits last summer.
Rooney wil grow to be the best player ever at Old Trafford.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
For me its got to be Roy Keane

he wouldn't be the most skillful or the most technically gifted player but the way he ran almost every game was unbelievable he knew when we needed to up the tempo when to slow it down his passing was a joy to behold he hardly ever gave the ball away he was a natural leader he was the hardest cnut you will ever see play the game and took shit from nobody!he always put his team mates first an example of this was the Juve semifinal away when he knew he was going to be missing the Final and yet he put in arguably one of his greatest performances! its a shame he left the way he did as it will tarnish some supporters memories of him but the man was an absolute legend!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Edwards [who has become something of a cult figure
since Febuary '08 - before that nobody knew his name]
That is a bit of an extreme to say that no one knew his name. Plenty have known his name, but with the tragedy cutting his career short, he sadly can't be mentioned, in my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts