Manchester United Talk banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
To be fair, saying Ronaldo is the greatest footballer to have played for United, is quite a fair opinion.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I wouldn't call paying up to approximately £30m a bargain. A bargain if looking at the big picture, but I'd call Ronaldo a bargain, same with Vidic and Evra, but I wouldn't class Rooney as a bargain.

Back to Ronaldo, how many other players have got the world player of the year award whilst at United? Scored over 40+ goals in one season from the wing? Sensational player. Achieved more than most players have done at United.

He's a sensational player. If he had Rooney's personality which appeals towards the fans then you'd all put him in your top 3.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I wouldn't call paying up to approximately £30m a bargain. A bargain if looking at the big picture, but I'd call Ronaldo a bargain, same with Vidic and Evra, but I wouldn't class Rooney as a bargain.

Back to Ronaldo, how many other players have got the world player of the year award whilst at United? Scored over 40+ goals in one season from the wing? Sensational player. Achieved more than most players have done at United.

He's a sensational player. If he had Rooney's personality which appeals towards the fans then you'd all put him in your top 3.
He was a complete nancy, but I dont hold that against him when judging his ability.

I think that we will all see how good Ronaldo was this season, I think the impact will be much less than some people suggest but I agree we'll miss him. We have a more balanced team with Valencia but we'll also be more predictable.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
ronaldo or best
Best > Ronaldo

Its hard to judge Ronaldo against a lot of Utd greats because they all play in different positions and wingers like Ronaldo always get the praise over goalkeepers, defenders, etc.

Personally, even over our recent history I prefer plenty of players to Ronaldo. Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel, Giggs, Rooney to name a few. I'd take anyone one of those in their prime over Ronaldo, and I think i'd cry like a girl if we sold Rooney.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
So would I, but it doesn't mean that they are the better player. I'd take Ole over Ruud, but Ruud is the better player, but I just love Ole. So it's pointless thinking like that.

Ronaldo at Manchester United, is better than Rooney at Manchester United (hopefully so far).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Edwards didnt get long enough in a United shirt so for me its Best i saw him for the first time when i was a 7 year old boy , what a player he could dribble , tackle , head it and was faster than a whippet , he had more tricks up his sleeve than Paul Daniels , in 1966 he beat Scotland on his own (honest ) playing for Northern Ireland and it was a very good Scots team at the time , he never moaned even though he was at times kicked all over the pitch , the greatest i ever saw by a long way .

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
So would I, but it doesn't mean that they are the better player. I'd take Ole over Ruud, but Ruud is the better player, but I just love Ole. So it's pointless thinking like that.

Ronaldo at Manchester United, is better than Rooney at Manchester United (hopefully so far).
I didn't mention them player because I like them more than Ronaldo, I mentioned them because I think they were greater Utd players. I'd take Ruud over Ole everytime even though I far prefer Ole.

Dont get me wrong, Ronaldo is a class player. I rate him very highly and I dont think he's far behind the players I mentioned but I rate a players greatness on everything.

Ronaldo has an exception ability to score goals, but thats not better than Keane's leadership. Ronaldo won games on his own but so did Peter Schmiechel, etc.

Like I said its really hard to compare these players and everyone is going to have different opinions, so I respect what you're saying but i've never been Ronaldo's biggest fan.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I would be torn between 4 players, Giggs, Best,Kean and Ronaldo.

As has been said there is no right answer so f*ck anyone who has a problem with my choices.

Giggs has been in the team since he was 15 year old. That is a fecking achievement for any player at any club in the world. You dont do that unless you are truly a great player. Maybe doesnt get the credit he deserves because like Cantona, Best and Ronaldo he didnt leave the club in his prime. People maybe forget the Ryan Giggs that ripped the pish out the whole Arsenal team and rattled the baw in the top bag.

Ronaldo, his record speaks for itself. Prolific infront of goal with increbible skill to match. The exact same attributes that makes us all remeber George Best so fondly. A truly great player and in 10 years time will no doubt be remembered as one the greatest players to have ever kicked a fitbaw. Obviously as United fans we find it difficult to understand folk wanting to leave but each to their own, I enjoyed watching a great player playing for United and without doubt one of the best ever in my opionion.

Roy Keane. My fecking hero. Dont know want to say about him other than the greatest captain this club has ever had. He didnt try to make friends, he just let his football talk, a true leader. A rock in midfield, your lucky if the man made 10 incomplete passes in a season. Every footballer in the world could learn a thing or two from Keano. Was gutted when he left but his interview when he ripped into half the team was one of his finest moments. People put it down as unprofessional, I put it down to a few home truths that were needed at the time. Too many people just enjoying the ride at United and Keano put them straight, I doubt the passion he had for United will be matched anytime soon.

And obviously George Best. The only thing that stops world football from recognising him as one of the greatest footballers to have ever lived is the fact he was from N.Ireland. Had he played in the world cup I have no doubt every man alive would put him in the same bracket as Maradonna and Pele etc. His performances against Benfica are up there with the greatest performances any footballer has ever put in. He is also a ex Hibee, albeit a drunk washed up player at the time but for that he is my number 1 choice. Anyone who can be mentioned in the same breath as Maradonna and Pele is without doubt my choice as Uniteds greatest player.

that is not easy to write when your fecking blootered:thumbsup:

101 - 114 of 114 Posts