Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBC Sport...

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has blamed "futile" friendlies for the absence of midfielder Darren Fletcher with a knee ligament injury.

Fletcher, 24, played 90 minutes for Scotland against Croatia in midweek, but will now be out for six weeks.

"We've had a bad blow with Darren and it emphasises the futility of playing these friendly games," said Ferguson.

"He should have played for 45 or 60 minutes at most, but he played the full game so he's out for six weeks."

Fletcher was left out of United's squad for the 3-0 win over Liverpool last weekend, but recovered sufficiently to play in George Burley's first game in charge of Scotland.

"He was recovering from a bad chest cold and we rested him last Sunday because of that," added Ferguson.

"It's a bad blow for us and it's crazy. Supporters will stop going to these kind of games.

"They have the whole of the end of May, too. (England) have fixtures against Trinidad and the USA and I think every manager knows that they're a waste of time."

Fletcher has made 21 appearances for United this season, and his absence will stretch the club's squad as the season moves into its critical final few weeks.

Not a terrible blow but it gives Fergie less rotation options going into the last couple of months of the season.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i agree with SAF here though.

stupid international friendlies at "crunch time" in the season......

I dont think united are gunna have a friendly and call all there players up in the middle of the european championships in the summer!!!!!!!.....

so yes i definately agree with SAF 100%

and darren fletcher is a bigger loss than many will think with the games we have coming up against blackburn and middlesbrough.im sure he would have played a big part in these games as he is a real battler!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I just heard this im quite gutted, the games come thick and fast around this time of the season and we need everyone we have and i believe Fletch is a decent player especially in the big games.

·
Registered
854 Posts
gggrrr. pointless international games Steve Bruce is right. Not only will we miss our biggest game player , not only will we have to rely on hargreaves, poor oul Fletch prob hasn't played enough games to get a league medal, if we win it of course.

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Its a real blow to loose Fletch.

He's the sort of guy who will come in now and again and play his heart out.

Hopefully he'll still play more games this season and that this setback doesn't
affect his recent good form!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Big blow to lose anyone at this stage of the season, and I'm sure Fletch is devestated. SAF was right in what he said, International friendlies at this point in a season are ridiculous

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
People aren't going to be pleased with this, but if I had to pick one player to be injured from our squad it would be Fletcher.

This will just force Fergie to play Carrick more often, who is easily better.

No big deal as there are Ronaldo, Carrick, Anderson, Hargreaves, Nani, Park, Giggs and oh yeah this guy called PAUL SCHOLES!

Are we really going to miss Fletcher?!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its a bad blow for Fletch when he had been showing great form.
If we can afford to lose anyone, we can in the midfield department.
Injuries will happen and we have the likes of Anderson, Hargo, Scholes
and Carrick to step in, so no major worries on this one.
Its just bad news for the lad himself.

·
23,699 Posts
I am not his biggest fan but that also simply translates to end of season for him. Or one lesser player to work with...

Not so sure if that is 'good news'.

S

·
0 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Bad Omen!
The last time Fletch was injured and missed the title run in we came second (he injured his thigh at Arsenal)...fact.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
RedForceRising said:
People aren't going to be pleased with this, but if I had to pick one player to be injured from our squad it would be Fletcher.

This will just force Fergie to play Carrick more often, who is easily better.

No big deal as there are Ronaldo, Carrick, Anderson, Hargreaves, Nani, Park, Giggs and oh yeah this guy called PAUL SCHOLES!

I agree with everything you said mate. We share a lot of the same views, lol!!!

Fletcher isn't good enough to be honest for United but when he plays, he does work arguably harder than any other player and gives his all. For this, I will always have time for the lad.
However, as RedRising said, we have better players who can play in centre midfield so he won't really be a loss as long as the rest of our midfield stay fit!!!
I still wish the lad all the best and hope he recovers soon obviously.

SALFORD RED said:
Bad Omen!
The last time Fletch was injured and missed the title run in we came second (he injured his thigh at Arsenal)...fact.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm not a superstitious guy.
In fact, I open umbrellas in the office in front of my Italian colleague all the time to see him squirm. : )

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
I agree with everything you said mate. We share a lot of the same views, lol!!!

Fletcher isn't good enough to be honest for United but when he plays, he does work arguably harder than any other player and gives his all. For this, I will always have time for the lad.
However, as RedRising said, we have better players who can play in centre midfield so he won't really be a loss as long as the rest of our midfield stay fit!!!
I still wish the lad all the best and hope he recovers soon obviously.

Great minds.... : )

I'm not going to elaborate on Fletcher otherwise I'm going to get into trouble CRooney from Dubrovnik, but I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he's played enough games to get a medal at the end of the season.

·
23,699 Posts
RedForceRising said:

I'm not going to elaborate on Fletcher otherwise I'm going to get into trouble CRooney from Dubrovnik, but I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he's played enough games to get a medal at the end of the season.
Wise. He won't let you off so easily. Be very prepared with your arguments. ;) :D :p

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
RedForceRising said:

He's a pussy cat really mate. ;)

Say it loud and say it proud!!!! (OMG I just quoted Oasis :eek:)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
versa said:
Yes indeed. In awe and respect. ;) :D :)
lol - it's a shame for fletcher really - i know he hasn't been an integral part of the squad but just about when he begun showing his improvements he injured himself..i knew something was wrong as soon I saw him limping off

1 - 20 of 100 Posts