Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like the problem englands got with gerrard and lampard 2 great players that cannot click when played together in the national team.well i also think utd's got this problem with rooney and tevez ,who are great players in their own right but they are not a "striking partnership".
utd need a striker who plays around the box and can actually score his fair quota,lets be honest a striker should score 30 a season in this team and rooney or tevez will always struggle to hit 20 because they play all over the field.berbatov will certainly split this pair up and rooney will probably pay the penalty on current form has tevez is playing fine but with little end result,and thinking about it that sums up tevez and rooney's partnership " plays well with little end result "
well its time utd the champions of europe start finding results and the pair must be split for the good of the team or we will meekly give our crowns away ,we all know its early days but if we lose to chelsea that will leave us 9 points behind and their looking hungry again, manucho could also be a gem if we ever get to see him and i reckon he will also outscore rooney and tevez if he can play at this level of football .

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
agree with your what your saying totally m8 think berbatov gonna add more to the problem rather than solving it personally still think united lack a top clinical finisher someone who aint do any fancy stuff just bury the ball ( cole, ruud, shearer,lineker) type despite ronaldo's massive goalscoring spree he still aint a striker n when were without him so far have lacked any real venom. as for what we have now something's gotta be sorted as to how we play the guys as it aint workin

S

·
0 Posts
sweet fa said:
just like the problem englands got with gerrard and lampard 2 great players that cannot click when played together in the national team.well i also think utd's got this problem with rooney and tevez ,who are great players in their own right but they are not a "striking partnership".

Are you taking the mick mate? the strike force that won the Premiership and Champions league last season suddenly arent a "strike partnership", are you for real?

well its time utd the champions of europe start finding results and the pair must be split for the good of the team or we will meekly give our crowns away ,we all know its early days but if we lose to chelsea that will leave us 9 points behind and their looking hungry again, manucho could also be a gem if we ever get to see him and i reckon he will also outscore rooney and tevez if he can play at this level of football .
The reason that we are champions of Europe was massively dependants upon Tevez and Rooneys goals last season, how anyone cant see this is simply beyond comprehension for me Of course i know Ronaldo contributed a rather substantial amount of goals but to say that Tevez and Rooney cant work is simply nonsense and surely is not an opinion that can be backed up in any way

In my opinion, our current weakness is just the fact that we arent playing well as a team, last night we were ok, much better than in other recent matches but we was just unlucky in the final third, we severely lacked the attaking prowess of Carrick or Scholes to construct our attacks from midfield.

I just think your statement is a bit wild and probably just a knee-jerk reaction to our current "relative" poor form, im sure in the second half of the season your views to the two will have changed

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Rooney and Tevez got 35 goals between them last season. That sounds like a decent strike partnership to me.

To steal a line from a well-known Cole & Yorke build up against Barca, some of their link up play was out if this World last season (the goal against Middlesborough being the stand out example).

Plus when you have a winger who has contributed 65 goals in the last 2 seasons surely the last thing we should be worried about is who will score, especially with Berbatov now in the squad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rooney and Tevez have chemistry (unlike Lamps and Gerrard), its just they play similar type of game. Lets not forget Tevez is still a 'new' United player. Last season was his first, and to have huge expectations and instant chemistry with Rooney was nearly an impossible task. As the season grew on, I think both players adapted to eachothers skills very well.

Also I dont think their egos will affect the team, both players want to win very badly, and dont consider their ego when they step on the pitch (unlike lamps and gerrard)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yea i would disagree with that big time. I think they work well together.
Don't understand how you can say they cant play together when they were
our main patnership last season and we won the Premiership and CL!!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scotty12347 said:
The reason that we are champions of Europe was massively dependants upon Tevez and Rooneys goals last season, how anyone cant see this is simply beyond comprehension for me Of course i know Ronaldo contributed a rather substantial amount of goals but to say that Tevez and Rooney cant work is simply nonsense and surely is not an opinion that can be backed up in any way

In my opinion, our current weakness is just the fact that we arent playing well as a team, last night we were ok, much better than in other recent matches but we was just unlucky in the final third, we severely lacked the attaking prowess of Carrick or Scholes to construct our attacks from midfield.

I just think your statement is a bit wild and probably just a knee-jerk reaction to our current "relative" poor form, im sure in the second half of the season your views to the two will have changed

the reason we are champions of europe is solely dependant on 1 man RONALDO. rooney and tevez scored 35 between them and their our strikers ,the winger scored about 42 on his own.look any proper striker would hit 30+ in this team ,i am not critizeing the 2 players but its just not sparking like hughes and cantona or cole and yorke who where always dangerous .these 2 will be split i assure you and utd will score a lot more goals when it happens ,we have been a 1 man team for two seasons now and when he isn't there we mostly struggle especially up front .its time for battering rams not beautiful toothless attacks ,there ain't much wrong with the team i agree but there is no bite where it matters and its beginning to hurt us. and i can assure you this was my view last season also, i was praying all summer for berbatov and got my wish i now hope he proves my view correct and it will be you that will be singing the praise's of our new strike partnership !time will tell my friends.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
reddwarf said:
Rooney and Tevez got 35 goals between them last season. That sounds like a decent strike partnership to me.

To steal a line from a well-known Cole & Yorke build up against Barca, some of their link up play was out if this World last season (the goal against Middlesborough being the stand out example).

Plus when you have a winger who has contributed 65 goals in the last 2 seasons surely the last thing we should be worried about is who will score, especially with Berbatov now in the squad.
Amen!!

(Re: original post) I diagree that Rooney and tevez cant play together.. they played some class stuff last year, they didnt really get that many games together up front.. i reckon one or the other of them should play off Berba with the other starting on the bench.. but in certain games the two of them can definitely play up top together... we should rotate the three of them and give them all a fair share of time in their natural positions... whatever happens i do not want to see Rooney rotting on the wings!

Re: Gerrard and Lampard... the reason they dont play well together has nothing to do with clicking the fact is neither of them are good enough to dominate midfield like Scholes, Fabregas, Essien do... at their respective clubs allowances are made for them to be in the team... having two players at the heart of midfield who arent capable of bossing midfield and dictating the pace of the game is a disaster waiting to happen... I personally believe Lampard should be dropped from the England team completely, he doesnt offer anything in international football... Gerrard should be doing better but to have him playing you'll have to sacrifice a winger cos Gerrard aint got the ability to dominate in the centre but he is capable of something brilliant at any time!

For Gerrard to play for England and to get ANYTHING out of him you need to play one winger : Walcott/J. Cole... and Carrick/Barry with Hargreave occupying the other wing/ to compensate for Gerrard when he goes missing in games

With those tactics England might just win something!!

You have Sven to thank for your Golden Generation not winning anything... he messed about your one natural world class central midfield player (he scores goals galore) who really could stand up and be counted in the centre not like showboats Lamps and Stevie G

S

·
0 Posts
sweet fa said:
the reason we are champions of europe is solely dependant on 1 man RONALDO. rooney and tevez scored 35 between them and their our strikers ,the winger scored about 42 on his own.look any proper striker would hit 30+ in this team ,i am not critizeing the 2 players but its just not sparking like hughes and cantona or cole and yorke who where always dangerous .these 2 will be split i assure you and utd will score a lot more goals when it happens ,we have been a 1 man team for two seasons now and when he isn't there we mostly struggle especially up front .its time for battering rams not beautiful toothless attacks ,there ain't much wrong with the team i agree but there is no bite where it matters and its beginning to hurt us. and i can assure you this was my view last season also, i was praying all summer for berbatov and got my wish i now hope he proves my view correct and it will be you that will be singing the praise's of our new strike partnership !time will tell my friends.

to say that the only reason we won the champions league is because of ronaldo is such a narrow minded and simplistic look on our team. A lot of the time when attacking last season Ronaldo was the man that getting forward and it was Rooney or Tevez that was playing him, through the added input that they give in midfield. Do you seriously thing it would be possible for 2 strikers to get 30+ goals whilst an attacking midfielder gets 42?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
scotty12347 said:

Very well said Scott. Tevez and Rooney have been great since they started
playing together. The only thing we can maybe criticise is that they drop too
deep and try to do too much. But they made a lot of space for Ronaldo last
season and worked their balls off for the team. Without these 2 we would have
won nothing last season.

S

·
0 Posts
Why is it that when i write in perfect grammar in the reply box, it comes out a mess when its actually posted? Is there some sort of filter?

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
what are you all talking about?! why are we bashing on the partnership that brought home the champions league, and the prem. obviously they are not clinical rudd van nistelrooy type of strikers, but they make a decent amount of goals, and create danger and oportunities to other players, they clearly complement each other perfectly and their good goal tally together proves this.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
sweet fa said:
what on earth are you mumbling about? its quiet inaccurate your view that united won the cl and prem because of ronaldo. yes he was the most important player, but to just even think that is extremely dumb. especially on the basis that ronaldo disappeared on almost every big game we had. and on what basis do you come out with the idea that any striker should hit 30 in this team last season? with so many goalscorers and ronaldo hitting 40 how is it possible? and as far as your berbatov comment I seriously dont think A berbatov- rooney, Berbatov-tevez partnership will do any better, what rooney and tevez do is work and sacrifice for the team, playing back etc, also with their spedd understanding and skill break up defences and set up opportunities for themselves and others. And I seriously dont think berbatov will run the whole game which in the end of the day could seriously hurt the overall speed of the game we are trying to play.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While Rooney and Tevez are undoubtably class problems neither is a real poacher... the last of that breed we had was Ruud...

I would like to see Tevez and Berbatov given a try up front together with Rooney playing 'in the hole' behind them (a la Sheringham/Scholes). That way Rooney can run his little heart out... which IS his natural game... and we have at least one clinical striker and Tevez causing havoc with his movement.

S

·
0 Posts
seanm said:
While Rooney and Tevez are undoubtably class problems neither is a real poacher... the last of that breed we had was Ruud...

I would like to see Tevez and Berbatov given a try up front together with Rooney playing 'in the hole' behind them (a la Sheringham/Scholes). That way Rooney can run his little heart out... which IS his natural game... and we have at least one clinical striker and Tevez causing havoc with his movement.
What your proposing is what we played on Saturday, and i dont know about you but i dont wanna see any more of that, the amount of stick iv been getting of scousers is incredible but it was deserved. We had NO-ONE in midfield capable of grasping the game for us, scholes could of but for some reason he didnt seem to be arsed that day.

The system you are talking about is a 4-3-1-2, which, personally, i dont think could work for United. after you accomodated our three strikers that leaves 3 in mid, we'l obviously need a left and right winger for some width so we'l put nani/giggs and ronaldo on. with this we have one position left, and so we still have Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson to pick from, fine choices they may be, but none of them on their own could win us the midfield battles, we would get totally dominated if we were to play this, as we did on saturday.

To me it seems the only option we have is to play a straight 4-4-2 personally i would drop rooney atm and give berba and tevez a good run, as i think they could perform miracles, this would also allow us to use 2 strong centre mids take your pick from scholes/hargreaves/anderson/carrick/fletcher/park

with this team who couldnt we beat?

------------------------------VDS----------------------------------
Brown---------Ferdinand--------Vidic-------------Evra------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ronaldo--------Scholes-----------Carrick---------Giggs
-----------------Tevez------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------Berbatov--------------------

I dont see why people are so scared of dropping one of our three strikers, to me rooney needs to be dropped atm as he isnt playing as well as tevez and we need to give berbatov a chance. i really dont see how we can accomodate all 3 and still be strong on all other areas of the pitch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No mate, I'm not proposing 4-3-1-2 at all... What I am suggesting is the same formation as you posted but with Rooney instead of Scholes... and possibly Hargreaves instead of Carrick but that's another story...

One defensive midfielder as an anchor (think Keano) and one to play further forward behind the front two. Under no circumstances do I want to get rid of our wingers!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts