Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Van der Sar a star

Edwin van der Sar is revelling in his new Premier League record for clean sheets.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson feels the side's amazing defensive performances mean more to the goalkeeper than all his other honours combined.

The 38-year-old has not conceded a league goal for 1,122 minutes, stretching back 12 matches to Samir Nasri's strike in Arsenal's 2-1 win at the Emirates Stadium on 8th November.

It has put him in line for what many feel will be a British record if he keeps West Ham United out for a further 75 minutes at Upton Park on Saturday.

Current record-holder Chris Woods disputes the tag, claiming van der Sar is actually four matches away from beating the record he achieved at Rangers as Van der Sar conceded three times against Gamba Osaka at the Club World Cup in December.

But while that argument is yet to be resolved, Ferguson can see what a dramatic effect van der Sar's 12-match sequence without conceding is having on the veteran Dutchman.

"The record has left Edwin revelling in a personal achievement that seems to be giving him as much pleasure as all the many honours he has won with Ajax and Juventus, as well as winning 123 caps with Holland," said Ferguson.

"His great experience, allied to youthful enthusiasm, marks him out as a very special goalkeeper."

full capacity

Ferguson is not giving van der Sar all the credit though as he is equally amazed by the performance of a defence that has been forced to operate at less than full capacity for the past three months.

Rio Ferdinand played his first match since United were crowned world champions in the five-goal destruction of West Bromwich albion, when Wes Brown also returned following ankle surgery.

This weekend Patrice Evra is due to feature once more after damaging his foot in the win over Chelsea a month ago.

"The defensive record is remarkable because this is the part of the team that has been most affected in recent weeks by injury," said Ferguson. "But everyone has rallied round."

Of equal interest is Wayne Rooney's fitness. The striker has been out since picking up a hamstring injury against Wigan on 14th January but with England manager Fabio Capello due at West Ham it will be interesting to see whether Rooney is included in the England squad to face Spain in Seville next week when it is announced on Saturday evening.

link

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Van der Star:) this should be his nikname from now on. He made us all proud for this record and not only. I gues nobody can contradict me when i say he is one of the best keepers United had in their history. He is part of this history due to his great games he played for United, and trophies that he won with the Red Devils.
He deserves all this aclamation and at the game at Old Trafford he should receive a standing ovation for all that he's done for us, and hope many beautiful days will come while he's still playing for us.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Wazza1989 said:
Van der Star:) this should be his nikname from now on. He made us all proud for this record and not only. I gues nobody can contradict me when i say he is one of the best keepers United had in their history. He is part of this history due to his great games he played for United, and trophies that he won with the Red Devils.
He deserves all this aclamation and at the game at Old Trafford he should receive a standing ovation for all that he's done for us, and hope many beautiful days will come while he's still playing for us.
if somedody had looked at this forum a few months back he'd think vds ws a curse

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
abojodeh said:
because i can faind u 40 thread about VDS performances he was the most slated and hated played on the forums
i wouldnt say hated but his performances were poor abo you have to admit that! for me he is not the reason for the clean sheets i think 70 % of it is down to vida and the boys and than 30 % van der star because he hast really had much to do in the time but when hes been called upon hes been reliable and hes done it well witch is great :) best keeper we've had since schemical by a country mile and hes going to take some replacing

·
Registered
50 Posts
cantos red army said:
i wouldnt say hated but his performances were poor abo you have to admit that! for me he is not the reason for the clean sheets i think 70 % of it is down to vida and the boys and than 30 % van der star because he hast really had much to do in the time but when hes been called upon hes been reliable and hes done it well witch is great :) best keeper we've had since schemical by a country mile and hes going to take some replacing
But the goalie is integral to any defence - he's not just sitting there filing his nails while Vidic and the lads hoof ball after ball out of the danger area - he's constantly marshalling the back 4, or 3, and his quick and accurate distribution has set up many an attack at a blistering pace.
Also, it can be harder to maintain focus and concentration when a goalkeeper hasn't got much to do - all the more impressive to not have any lapses given the sporadic nature of the work he has to do. All credit to him I think. Goalkeeping is way more than shot-stopping. There should just be a separate record for the defenders keeping clean sheets too, then everyone would get the accolades they deserve :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
had a few wobbles along the way but generally been a great keeper whos lucky enough to play behind the best defence we have had for years...credit to the defence and edwin in particular- the best since the great man himself :)

·
Banned
836 Posts
I love VDS, he's my idol and I try to emulate his style when I play in goal for my football club. He's someone I can look up to and emulate, for definite.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Im surprised there were so many VDS doubters at the start of the season
(you know who you are) ;) He is a class act who is still setting records.
Long may it continue.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
VDS is one of the best goal keepers in EPL.
Some where I found remark that he is lucky because is playing behind the best defence......Hm ....... I must note that he is a part of the best defence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
VDS ia good steady pro. Let's hope he stays on while he still feels he can offer something. I still think Kuszak is not the answer to replace him. His kicking off both feet is atrocious.

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
Burkey said:
VDS ia good steady pro. Let's hope he stays on while he still feels he can offer something. I still think Kuszak is not the answer to replace him. His kicking off both feet is atrocious.
This I agree it think he'll always be our no.2 and foster - who knows but imo we need to buy a fresh young - ish keeper maybe older depending on how long they need to devlop, or like we did with VDS buy an experienced keeper like Jaaskkeleinen (sp?)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts