Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United To Offer Van Der Sar New Deal?

Goal.com Netherlands are reporting that veteran goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar has already signed a new contract with Manchester United, and the club will make an official announcement on Friday.

There has been much speculation in recent weeks over the future of veteran shot-stopper Edwin Van der Sar.

The former Netherlands international's contract was due to finish at the end of the year.

But with Polish glovesman Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster seeing increased pitch time, it appeared that a new deal may not be offered to the ageing number one.

However, according to British newspaper the Daily Mail, Manchester United and Van der Sar's agent Rob Jansen will make an official announcement on Friday afternoon stating that the two parties have come to an agreement over a one year extension.

Van der Sar is likely to retain his position between the sticks for the club's weekend game over lilywhite London side Tottenham Hotspur.

Sir Alex though may favour England hopeful Ben Foster for the semi-final FIFA Club World Cup game in one week's time.

Terrible news, we need to be getting him out of the club, not giving him a new contract >

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
Manchester United To Offer Van Der Sar New Deal?

Goal.com Netherlands are reporting that veteran goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar has already signed a new contract with Manchester United, and the club will make an official announcement on Friday.

There has been much speculation in recent weeks over the future of veteran shot-stopper Edwin Van der Sar.

The former Netherlands international's contract was due to finish at the end of the year.

But with Polish glovesman Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster seeing increased pitch time, it appeared that a new deal may not be offered to the ageing number one.

However, according to British newspaper the Daily Mail, Manchester United and Van der Sar's agent Rob Jansen will make an official announcement on Friday afternoon stating that the two parties have come to an agreement over a one year extension.

Van der Sar is likely to retain his position between the sticks for the club's weekend game over lilywhite London side Tottenham Hotspur.

Sir Alex though may favour England hopeful Ben Foster for the semi-final FIFA Club World Cup game in one week's time.

Terrible news, we need to be getting him out of the club, not giving him a new contract >

Bizzare comment at the end :confused:

I thought it was VDS' last season in football....hope he resigns

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I don't think we should be offering him a new contract tbh.

We should be looking at our better and long-term options imho, be it internally or externally.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Id love him to get a new contract. He is still a class keeper despite the odd howler
(which ALL keepers have). Id still have him before Foster and TK in the big games.
Great news if it happens.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
This can only mean that SAF is not satisfied with Foster and Kuszczak and he doesn't see other solution available on the market

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
The agent of Edwin van der Sar claims the goalkeeper has reached an 'agreement' regarding a new contract at Manchester United.

Despite speculation that the 38-year-old could retire at the end of the season, Van der Sar has previously insisted that he is no hurry to hang up his gloves.

And the Dutchman's representative, Rob Jansen, has now announced that he has been in discussions with United for 'some time' regarding fresh terms.

Jansen has also stated that harmony has been accomplished with the Old Trafford outfit.

"We have already been in talks for some time and now we have reached an agreement," Jansen told NOS Teletext when asked about contract negotiations.

It is understood that United will make an announcement regarding Van der Sar's future on Friday.

The former Fulham star joined United in a £5milliom deal in 2005 and he helped the Red Devils to UEFA Champions League and Premier League glory last term.

Van der Sar has also played for Juventus and Ajax during his career and made 130 appearances for Holland.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4626634,00.html

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
I'd actually quite like him to stay.
he gives me more confidence in goal than Kuszczak or ben

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
i think vds is past it hes made a couple of howlers this season but as jazz siad id pefer him in thee bigger games then foster and tomaz! anyone reckon he could stay on as a goalkeeping coach bit like ole with the reserves?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Let me get this one thing straight all this swaping and changing of keeper is not doing any good to our team .

I love VDS for what he has done but like schmicheal he must know its time to pass on the gloves . The thing is when a keeper gets older it has more of an effect on the team . He is a big lad who's not in the condition of say a james who is very athletic .

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Foster needs to start playing more games, but I think it would be a real loss if we released VDS. He hasn't made that many howlers and is still a top class keeper, we should keep him for one more season.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Sorry, but hes been very shaky this season.

He's also made a lot more mistakes than people are saying he has, but they aren't highlighted because they don't result in a goal, either because the defence clear it or the opposition miss.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
saw it on sky sports this morning that his agent confirmed the new on year deal is going to be signed...........i don't have a major problem with that, i don't see why we couldn't have gone for a new keeper ( maybe with strikers in mind we don't have piles of cash and VDS is a safe choice), but really what does this say to Foster and Kuszczak?? can see foster especially leaving on load or if not permanently

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
It's official. He's been given a 1 yr contract extension.

I would have liked to see Foster given a chance next season but I guess that isn't going to happen now.

I still can't forget the clanger he made against Liverpool for Brown's own goal. It was such a big game and, although it brought back happy memories of Dudek, it could prove so costly come the end of the season.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Edwin van der Sar has agreed a one-year extension to his current contract with United.

The veteran keeper's latest rolling deal will keep him at Old Trafford until June 2010, by which time he will be nearly 40.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed next season will be the Dutchman's last at the club.

"Next year will be his last," the Reds manager told Friday's pre-Spurs press conference at Carrington. "Edwin has great experience, and his temperament and performance levels have never changed."

Sir Alex confirmed Edwin's impending exit will intensify the competition between his understudies Ben Foster and Thomas Kuszczak next season.

"Edwin has helped with the development of our young keepers, but next year we need to make it more competitive for Ben and Thomas," Ferguson added.

"It will come down to whoever is the right man for the job."

www.manutd.com

I guess he believes by keeping him his schooling foster and pig. and once his gone fergie will make his choice. its like keeping them on at sixth form :rolleyes:

VDS has still been vital to us this season. him rio and vidic are vital to us even at his late age so not a bad move i guess. just hope it dont get to much for him next year

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Van Der Sar Inks New Manchester United Deal

The future of Manchester United's No.1 jersey will belong to Tomasz Kuszczak or Ben Foster. After all, it seems unlikely that neither will be able to grab the opportunity to succeed Edwin van der Sar between the sticks in the long-term.

In any case, the big Dutchman will be sticking around a bit longer, for he has - as Goal.com's Dutch office reported that he would - put pen to paper on a new one-year contract extension.

After that, his career at Old Trafford will come to an end. The 38-year-old joined in 2005 from Fulham and has made a big impact. His long international career recently concluded with a farewell performance for Oranje.

United gaffer Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed: "We have agreed a new one-year contract with Edwin.

"His experience, temperament, professionalism and performance level have not changed one bit since he has been with us.

"Obviously, it will be his last year. He will be almost 40 [after the further year], which is a great credit to the lad.

"He has been absolutely marvellous here."

Few thought the massive gloves of legendary Dane Peter Schmeichel could be filled, but Van der Sar has done so admirably. Now, young pretenders Kuszczak and Foster will be faced with a similar task.

Greg Ptolomey, Goal.com

So yesterday's speculations were true after all. I know we will have mixed emotions about this contract, but this can only mean that Tomasz and Foster will have to wait for another year ( or maybe less if something unexpected happens), but I'm rally afraid that Foster may want to leave OT for another club or the better solution to go on loan somewhere.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Que the Foster transfer request very very soon if you ask me !!

as for kuzzy I think we seen enough of him on wednesday didnt we he flapped like a seal at that header he aint good enough !

·
Registered
736 Posts
VDS extends Reds contract....

Edwin van der Sar has agreed a one-year extension to his United contract.

The veteran keeper's latest rolling deal will keep him at Old Trafford until June 2010, with Sir Alex Ferguson confirming next season will be the Dutchman's last at the club.

"Edwin's got great experience and his temperament, professionalism and performance levels have not changed one bit," the Reds manager told Friday's pre-Spurs press conference at Carrington.

"Next season will be his last - he'll be going on 40 by the time his new deal is finished, which is great credit to the lad. He's been absolutely marvellous for us."

Van der Sar has been used more sparingly by Sir Alex this term and his impending departure will intensify the competition between Ben Foster and Thomas Kuszczak.

"What Edwin has done really well for us over the last year is help with the development of the young goalkeepers," Ferguson added. "Eric Steele, our goalkeeping coach, of course has also played a great part in making the situation very competitive.

"We're using Ben and Tomasz quite a bit now, which allows us to keep Edwin fresh for the really important games. Edwin has bought into it very well - he understands the reasoning behind it and he's played a great part in making sure the big picture is there for us in terms of the future for Ben or Tomasz.

"Next season, in fairness to Ben and Tomasz, we've got to make it more competitive. It'll be down to who the best man is for the job."

ManUtd.com

Great goalkeeper !!! If he hang he boot up, SAF should think on signing Jussi of Bolton or Shay of Newcastle

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
oh dear thats bad news , vds makes far too many mistakes these days and i can see foster putting in a transfer request , if he wants to play for england he simply needs to play in a settled side and i don't see ferguson ever giving foster the opportunity he requires :( .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts