Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
sweet fa said:
oh dear thats bad news , vds makes far too many mistakes these days and i can see foster putting in a transfer request , if he wants to play for england he simply needs to play in a settled side and i don't see ferguson ever giving foster the opportunity he requires :( .
Ben Foster is 24 he's got the best years of his playing career ahead of him . If he can go on to be the first choice keeper and he plays on to the same age as Edwin then that means he's looking at 15 - 16 years at the top . So I can't quite see him looking to leave United . I for one am delighted that VDS is staying . Sure he's made a few errors this season but no more than the 10 others in front of him . What about our forwards lack of finishing in front of goal , I don't hear anyone calling for any of them to be kicked out of the club . If Fergie and VDS himself didn't think he was up to the job then I think they both would have come to conclusion that it would be best for both parties if Edwin called it a day . Jesus its not like he's turned into a Massimo Tiaibi or Jim Leighton overnight .

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
dublin red said:
Ben Foster is 24 he's got the best years of his playing career ahead of him . If he can go on to be the first choice keeper and he plays on to the same age as Edwin then that means he's looking at 15 - 16 years at the top . So I can't quite see him looking to leave United . I for one am delighted that VDS is staying . Sure he's made a few errors this season but no more than the 10 others in front of him . What about our forwards lack of finishing on front of goal , I don't hear anyone calling for any of them to be kicked out of the club . If Fergie and VDS himself didn't think he was up to the job then I think they both would have come to conclusion that it would be best for both parties if Edwin called it a day . Jesus its not like he's turned into a Massimo Tiaibi or Jim Leighton overnight .

like you said ben foster is 24 !thats about half way thru his top class carear and he still has not got his foot on the ladder , i realise he has had injuries which has perhaps cost him 18 months but if he hangs around for another 3 years his international dreams will be in tatters and utd will probably have bought another keeper in that time . perhaps fergie has more faith in the young german goalie utd have got on the books.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i love van der sar, hes getting old though i think were getting the italien illness where we keep older players until they die of diabeties type 2 or something.

i would like to freshen up the team no disrespect to veterans

·
Registered
366 Posts
sweet fa said:
like you said ben foster is 24 !thats about half way thru his top class carear and he still has not got his foot on the ladder , i realise he has had injuries which has perhaps cost him 18 months but if he hangs around for another 3 years his international dreams will be in tatters and utd will probably have bought another keeper in that time . perhaps fergie has more faith in the young german goalie utd have got on the books.
I saw an interview the other day on MUTV with Ben Foster and he seemed fairly content with his current role . just because VDS has signed another contract it doesnt neccessarily mean that come the start of next season he will be no.1 choice . All players suffer dips in form , whats to say he has a bad spell and Ben gets his chance and does really well . We just dont know whats around the corner .
I think too much is being read into this whole thing . Fergie will always pick players who are at the top of their game . If anyone is going to get browned off with not getting regular first team football then I think that will be Kusack .
As for Foster's international career , well Steve Bruce did'nt get one international cap and it didnt stop him being one of the best defenders of those years he played .

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
dublin red said:
I saw an interview the other day on MUTV with Ben Foster and he seemed fairly content with his current role . just because VDS has signed another contract it doesnt neccessarily mean that come the start of next season he will be no.1 choice . All players suffer dips in form , whats to say he has a bad spell and Ben gets his chance and does really well . We just dont know whats around the corner . I think too much is being read into this whole thing . Fergie will always pick players who are at the top of their game . If anyone is going to get browned off with not getting regular first team football then I think that will be Kusack .
As for Foster's international career , well Steve Bruce did'nt get one international cap and it didnt stop him being one of the best defenders of those years he played .
great post dublinred. Who knows what will happen but having Edwin stick aorund for an extra year can only be excellent news for United. Im delighted. He is still our no.1 and a top one at that.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Maybe he's being signed to cover for Foster in case of an emergency, personally I think it could also be buying a year to look for another keeper, cause TK isn't quality enough, consult pretty much every game he's ever had, Foster doesn't look to be the same post-injury, not many would, so I think we should give him a few more runs-outs to see what happens, if not, purchase someone next year.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
piazza said:
Maybe he's being signed to cover for Foster in case of an emergency, personally I think it could also be buying a year to look for another keeper, cause TK isn't quality enough, consult pretty much every game he's ever had, Foster doesn't look to be the same post-injury, not many would, so I think we should give him a few more runs-outs to see what happens, if not, purchase someone next year.
:confused: Why would he be cover for Foster? VDS is our No.1 and deservedly so.
Its up to Foster to prove his worth, but Edwin needs to cut down on the mistakes.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
:confused: Why would he be cover for Foster? VDS is our No.1 and deservedly so.
Its up to Foster to prove his worth, but Edwin needs to cut down on the mistakes.
What I meant is, maybe Foster will be our no1 next year, but we will have Edwin in case he bottles it. Sort of the same way Old guys get bought as free agents every now and then. I wouldn't want that either. I'm not sold on Foster, never have been. Edwin, like all keepers has a gaffe now and then, but he's still class enough, the safest thing imo post-van der sar would be to get someone like Frey or Neuer or someone comparable.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
piazza said:
someone like Frey or Neuer or someone comparable.
Those two are my choices to be our future keeper.

I have always liked Foster, but after his injury he hasn't been the same. I think, with games, he can regain that ability and sharpness.

However, if he doesn't, or we are to sign a new keeper, then it would be a straight choice between Frey or Neuer for me.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
martinutd said:
This can only mean that SAF is not satisfied with Foster and Kuszczak and he doesn't see other solution available on the market
exactly the first thing that came into my mind when I first heard the news, but he is a very solid and reliable goalkeeper so we dont really lose much.

·
23,699 Posts
skysports

Ferguson warns Van der Sar

Bright future predicted for veteran's understudies.....

Sir Alex Ferguson has told Edwin van der Sar that he will have to fight for his Manchester United place next season.

Despite signing a new one-year deal at Old Trafford, the 38-year-old goalkeeper will have no first-team guarantees as Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster are also competing for the No.1 shirt.

"Next season we're going to make it more competitive," the Manchester United boss told the Daily Mirror.

"It will be the best man for the job really.

"We're using Ben and Tomasz quite a bit now and that lets us keep Edwin fresh for big games.

"Edwin has bought into it very well."

Ferguson added: "He understands the reasons and has played a great part in making sure there's a good future for Ben and Tomasz."

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
tonight against spurs he looked rejuvenated. lets hope it continues.

in terms of the year extension, i would prefer us to start bringing foster in so as not to fall in the trap like we did when schmeichel left and we suffered greatly as a result.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts