Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

David Beckham's former Manchester United team-mate Juan Sebastian Veron could be set to follow him to MLS football in the United States with DC United.

The 32-year-old playmaker is a free agent after he played out the last three years of his Chelsea contract on loan at Internazionale and, last season back at his first club, Argentinian outfit Estudiantes.

His displays for Argentina in the Copa America suggest he could still have a lot to offer in America and reports emanating from South America say DC United want to make him their designated player, who is exempted from the league's salary cap.

If United can agree a contract with the player, he would become the fourth designated player in the league after Juan Pablo Angel and Claudio Reyna at the New York Red Bulls - they received an extra allocation due to a player trade - Cuauhtemoc Blanco at the Chicago Fire and of course, Beckham at the LA Galaxy.

·
Banned
142 Posts
Obviously, Veron wasn't really at success at Old Trafford, although he did have his moments...i remember him scoring a cracking goal against Spurs at White Hart Lane in a 5-3 win (United were 3-0 down in that game). Also, i can recall a couple of great free-kicks that he scored in the Premiership at Old Trafford.

Veron was a talented player, bags of skill...and as i say, just didn't do it at United..it happens to some players...although his £28m price-tag (i think) did put a bit of pressure on him. Interesting to see if he goes to the U.S.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will certainly help promote football over in the USA. I hope he goes too.
I remember the Spurs match well. I missed the first half and listened to the second half. What a game!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Veron was a class player but he was always going to suffer the pace of the premiership. I saw alot of him as like alot of you i watched football italia on chanel 4 (god i miss watching that) and even then i thought his price tag could never be justified with us. One of fergies bad business dealings i think, overall a good player not great.

·
Registered
265 Posts
SolskjaertheLegend said:
Didnt he score a pretty good goal against Arsenal aswel? We won 2-0 if i remember correctly
it was a bit of a tap in but the celabration was good. scholes' goal was better in the second half i can just picture the goals now wasnt that the game when p.neville excelled against veira?

seba looked really good in the copa, hes one of the best passers ive seen

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
He couldnt handle the pressure, one of his family members died aswell to the end of his United career so that must have messed him up a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts