Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United are lining up a £22 million move for Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes.

Sir Alex Ferguson is desperate to sign a long-term replacement for Edwin van der Sar with Ben Foster still considering his future at Old Trafford.

The United boss sees Valdes as a top quality replacement and cannot, yet, offer Foster the first-team football he craves in his bid to make England's World Cup team.

The Barcelona keeper's current deal finishes in June 2010.

And, having rejected the chance to open talks on a new contract, Fergie hopes the lure of Premier League football can snatch him away from La Liga.

Van der Sar agreed a one-year extension earlier this season but, at 38, Fergie knows he needs to find a world-class replacement.

Valdes would challenge the Dutch shot-stopper next season and with his experience not only in La Liga, but also the Champions League, the 27-year-old has all the qualities needed.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is interested in taking Foster, but there are sure to be a number of other clubs looking at the young shot-stopper.

Ferguson is planning for Valdes to be at Old Trafford next season

Source : The People

I do not want to see him here, althought the story does seem completely fabricated!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I don't think he's ever been that good. Theres absolute no point what so ever in wasting £22 mil on another keeper the same quality as Foster.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Sounds fabricated. For what it's worth Valdes is better than a lot of people say.

The reason he's gets all the stick is because of the team he plays for. Barca have so many extraordinary players.

Amidst them Valdes is merely a good goalkeeper in a phenomenal team. Good simply isn't enough.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No but it couldn't be true, with his contract running out next year, 5 million maximum!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
He's not worth £22m, Barcelona are talking about replacing him.

Strange though, a few goalkeeper stories coming up at the moment.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
No quotes from anyone from manunited in it. doubt its true. and VDS surely can last one season more. 22 mil for a keeper? thats more likely how much its worth for buffon or casillas. not valdes.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
That is Ridiculous................Valdes is shit..!

£22M:laugh: That's taking the piss anyway..!
Valdes has always been dodgey in goal for Barca and he's never got called up to play in a major tournament for Spain... Casillas, Canizares and Reina were always streets ahead of him..

It's an absolute joke if any club pays more than £8M for his services..

Anyway back to United, we have Ben Foster who will be a top keeper in the coming years:)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
This isn't true to be polite.

As for Valdes, I've never thought a lot of him and he isn't a top class keeper like Buffon, Casillas, Frey etc are imo.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
I think Fosters better than Valdes, Valdes has always been one of those examples where the defence makes the keeper look unbeatable when he is infact fairly average...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
No offence to the thread-starter.

This is a load of horse manure.

Victor Valdes is inconsistent at best and I would take a young Raimund van der Gouw over him anytime.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
valdes can come here if he is willing to be second choice keeper! :D

Not good enough for united. Even foster is not reliable and they're both pretty much similar in alot of ways but valdes plays more regular. Both aint good enough for long term replacements for VDS imo.

pz:cool:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts