Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reaching a century of Reds appearances against Newcastle reminded Nemanja Vidic of how far he's come in two-and-a-half years at OT…

It's a great feeling to have played 100 games for this fantastic club. Pat [Patrice Evra] also played his 100th match against Newcastle and we both felt very proud.

We were talking the other day about the time we both joined the club (January 2006). In the beginning things didn't go too well for us - it's funny to look back on that period now. Pat and I have both worked very hard over the last two years or so and playing 100 games is an achievement we're both very happy about. Hopefully we'll play many more games for United.

Things change quickly at a club like this. I was sad to see Mikael Silvestre leave this week and also a little surprised to see him join Arsenal. I think it was a surprise to a lot of people in fact because players leaving a big club like United to join another top team like Arsenal isn't something that happens very often.

I played with Mikael for two and a half years and had a very good relationship with him - he's a good guy and a good player. He didn't play too much last season mainly because he was injured and maybe he felt he wouldn't play as many games this time. I think he still deserves to play at a high level though and I wish him all the best at Arsenal. For us, though, the challenge of winning trophies here continues and we'll be looking for our first win of the season against Portsmouth on Monday.

I have taken this from the official United web site . I cant believe its 100 games for both of them .

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can remember Evra's debut like it was yesterday. With Gabi Heinze only a few months away from being able to play first team football again I was very suprised to see Fergie buying another left back.

Evra's first touch in a United shirt was not a good one and he was caught dwelling on tthe ball. I think it's fair to say Evra's debut was not a sucess in anyone's book.

But fast forward 12 months and Evra is flying high. Patrice had found the form of his life and was keeping Heinze out of the team, a man who won player of the season just tow seasons before. Evra had gone from an unknown to one of the best left backs in the world. A real find at only £5 million.

Vida was very much similar to Evra. His first six months at United weren't the best and he initially wasn't looking a United player. But after his six month 'bedding in' time he as well looked a different player.

At the time he joined Unitednd Wes had a partnership in the centre of our defence that looked solid. But when Vida found his top form and formed a partnership with Rio, United have two centre backs that look formidable. Again only costing United £7 million, SAF found a real bargain in the Serbian centre back.

Also one other thing that has always stuck in my head about Evra and Vidic is this. In the 2006 Carling Cup Final United were 4-0 up and crusing. Ruud van Nistelrooy United's top scorer had been left out of the side in favour of Louis Saha. When the time came to make substitutions, Evra and Vidic were put on the pitch instead of Ruud. At the time I remember thinking to myself why has Fergie not played two new signings who might not be good enough for this club, and left on the bench our top goalscorer. But again fast forward twelve months and RvN is in Spain and Evra and Vidic had formed one half of the meanest defence in England on the way to the title.

SAF you were right again!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
^^^nice summary JD.

Cant believe they have clocked up the ton each. I can safely say that these
are 2 of my favourite players. They were pivotal to our successes over the last
2 years. Makes their transfers fee's look like bargains. 12mill for the 2???
Thats peanuts in this day and age.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
hafiz_shukri00391 said:
before vidic and rio......
which player partner rio at the center back.....
Silvestre and Brown played in there at times. Larry Blanc for a little while as well.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I thank the gaffer...aside from the players mentality themselves, sir alex play a major part in making them adapt. I admit i am NOT one of their doubtsters even thou before this i never really know them well except maybe evra. I always believe new players need time and time it was.

For all we might not know...Anderson or nani might feel like them too..we will know in one or two years time.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
both made slightly rocky starts and had a fe worried but after that there was no doubt they have been 2 of fergies best signings, they both fitted perfectly into the back 4 and both helped alot with our recent successes, good on them and i hope they continue to perform for a good 200 maybe 300 games

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
I have to admit, when we first got the pair, i had more faith in evra than vidic which was not saying a great deal but when i used to watch vidic play, i used to think 'we already have on silvestre, why do we need two?' but then fast forward and i see him play now right at the top of his game in his peak years, its immense to see how good he has become.

Evra also is right at the peak of his game is witout doubt a world class full back...the best left back in the world to many like myself and its just crazy to see how they've progressed. What a bargain at 12 million for the pair!!

great summary by the way JD, good read.

pz

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
After Evra's first couple of months, I wondered if he could cope. He seemed to lightweight and defensively poor for the Premiership (though I remember one great, hard challenge against Sunderland :p)

Vidic, though, I thought would make it with time after his first couple of months. You could see little moments that showed that he could make it, and he was the more likely of the two to make it in the Prem.

However, they have both worked extremely hard, and they have both showed that they are vitally important to us and the way we play, and they both had fantastic consistency levels, in the last two years, but especially last season.

I'm surprised there are no teams who try to tempt us into selling, because they are fantastic players after all. However, I'm glad their isn't, not that their loyalty would be in any question.

They seem to have great loyalty towards us, and seem to be United through and through ;).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts