Manchester United Talk banner

Vidic: Arshavin would shine in Prem

912 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Drunia (Saint-Petersburg) 
#1 ·
Nemanja Vidic would love to see Andrei Arshavin in the Premier League after the Manchester United star labelled him a "seriously good player."

The pair are expected to go head to head on Friday as Manchester United tackle Arshavin's Zenit St Petersburg side in the European Super Cup in Monaco, renewing a rivalry Vidic left behind when he was transferred from Spartak Moscow in January 2006.

After his performances for Zenit in their run to UEFA Cup glory last term, followed by an excellent Euro 2008 campaign with Russia, Arshavin has become one of the most talked about players in Europe.

At 27 he might be regarded as a late developer but that has not stopped Zenit's asking price hitting £20million, with Spurs among those to show an interest.

And while Vidic does not know the playmaker well enough to gauge his future plans, he does feel life in the Premier League would be a worthwhile experience.

"Arshavin is a seriously good player," said Vidic. "He was one of the best when I was in Russia.

"He is very quick. Technically he is very good. He is good in one-on-one situations and he can make chances for other players.

"How he would do in England is difficult to know. I didn't know how I was going to do in England.

"He is a good player and I would like to see him in England. It would be good for him to come to see how good it is here compared to Russia."

Arshavin's presence in the Zenit line-up is one of the reasons why Vidic is so wary of United's opponents.

The Serb knows the Russians will provide a stiff test to the Red Devils' claim to be Europe's number one, although he insists United have already moved on from that balmy night in Moscow when Chelsea were defeated in a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

"We are in a new season now," he said.

"We have not forgotten what we did last season but we know what we need to do again this year.

"We need to show we are a good team. We want to have the same experiences and show we are still focussed and ready to win more trophies."

The Super Cup certainly ranks above the Community Shield in Vidic's view. Another medal is being craved by the defender, who needed stitches to get through Monday's win at Portsmouth.

But he realises Zenit will not be easily dismissed, especially now they are setting their sights on the Champions League.

"They are owned by one of the biggest companies in the world, so they have money, which is important now," said Vidic.

"It means they can buy good players as well as finding their own, which they do very well.

"The game will bring back a lot of memories for me and I am looking forward to it.

"But make no mistake, I want that trophy."

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.