Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fom eurosport

Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic has tipped goalkeeper Ben Foster to make the most of his long-awaited debut on Saturday.It was three seasons ago that Foster moved to Old Trafford, but the 24-year-old spent two of them on loan at Watford before having a knee operation in the summer.

With only one reserve game behind him, he has been drafted in to face Derby at Pride Park as Edwin van der Sar has a groin problem and Tomasz Kuszczak is suspended.

Vidic has been impressed with Foster in training.

"Ben is a great player and a great man," said the Serbia international. "I think in the future he will be England's top goalkeeper.

"Ben has been training with us the last two weeks and done well.

"He looks as though he has never been injured. He is confident, which is important for a goalkeeper.

"I hope he has a good game at Derby and that we get the victory we want."

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson has firm belief in Foster, who has one England cap to his name, to do a job after planning to send him out on loan before two of his goalkeepers were sidelined.

He said: "Ben has been out for a year and this is a big challenge for the boy.

"Certain things, though, about him encourage me. He has fantastic presence and speed and agility. I have no fears about him being okay."

United could take overtake Arsenal at the top of the table for a few hours at least.

Ferguson has been impressed with the way the players have responded to the FA Cup defeat against Portsmouth last weekend.

However, he is refusing to take anything for granted against a Derby side that have failed to win in their last 23 league games.

Ferguson said: "You have to react when you lose a match. It is part of football.

"It is important to do something about it. We have 10 league games left and need to motor on.

"We have to make sure we put in a good performance and get the result we need.

"Points will be dropped between now and the end of the season by all clubs but if we go on a consistent run we will have a better chance of success."

Meanwhile, Ferguson is delighted defender Gary Neville came through another reserve game in midweek unscathed after a year-long absence with an ankle problem.

"Gary showed good energy and speed," said the United boss. "He came through the game well.

"The great thing is he played for 75 minutes with no problems and that is important.

"I think he will be involved in the first team quite soon."

·
Registered
21 Posts
foster will do a gd job he will be the long term replacement for vander!!!!
gd to see him back from a terrible injury

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only thing that concerns me is Fergie was considering loaning him out for the rest of the season prior to Portsmouth.

I would have thought for him to contemplate that he thinks he needs time and games and wont be ready for us this season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts