Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nemanja Vidic admits Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to stay at Manchester United as he struggled to settle during his early months at Old Trafford.

The Serbian defender joined United in January 2006 from Spartak Moscow and has become a vital part of the champions' side.

However, the 27-year-old accepts he found it difficult to adjust to the Premier League at the start of his United career and considered leaving the club.

Red Devils boss Ferguson soothed Vidic's doubts and the centre-half paid tribute to the Scot for persuading him to persevere with English football.
Confidence

"I found it hard to settle and I know everyone was asking whether I was good enough to play for United," said Vidic in the Daily Star.

"I'd had some injuries too and the Premier League is more physical than I'd experienced before.

"After a couple of months I said to myself, 'This is not the right club for me'.

"I was very down, but the manager kept telling me he believed in me and that I'd come good and be a big player. That really gave me confidence."

Comfortable

Meanwhile, Vidic is confident United are in a strong position to defend their Premier League title after he scored an injury-time winner against Sunderland on Saturday.

He added: "Right now it is like a track-and-field race. The two leaders, Liverpool and Chelsea, are at the front of the race with one lap to go.

"We are sitting just behind them on their shoulders, looking nice and comfortable and ready to choose the moment to strike for the finishing line.

"The next two months will be very important and I'm sure the race to be champions will be tight this year.

"But I think we are in a very good position right now and I am happy where we are."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4610055,00.html

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I read this in the paper I think alot of players doubt there ability when they come to united because its such a step up .

The whole premiership as a whole is hard to adjust to and many find it to hard ( Veron , Morrientes , kleberson ) all come with huge reps and left with careers in decline .

The great news is vidic has made it and what a player he is got to be up there in the all time united stakes .

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
He's a top bloke is vida,a proper hard nut defender who takes no flak....i wonder what this magic that Fergie does to keep these players is all about......is it voodoo :O

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
another good job by the stadff at united, although like they are well paid and as a guy you have to come across as all macho etc....to come here from abroad you have to uproot your family, change your lifestyle, learn new language, new culture etc and thats even before you consider the football aspects.
must be a daunting prospect for most players in that respect, no wonders some take time to settle and i'm never shocked when a player can't hack it and goes back home or to another country

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
To play for Chelsea or any other fairly big clubs is one thing. You can be great but still not cope with a move to United. At Chelsea and fools you're someone but you are not the cream of the crop.
In United we have...or had maybe...a standard. At OT you have another kind of pressure. The scene where you can perform is the biggest with all the fans all around the world. Thats why some players who have come here loves this club as much as we do. This is as far you can come as a football player. If you make it here you are a legend world wide.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Him and Evra are the newest reason to why SAF is the best manager in the world. He just knew thier potential.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
What a relief that he didnt leave !! hes a brilliant signing and hope he stays at OT for long !

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
on his day theres no bettr defender in the world! hed head a brick for a clean sheet and united! the guy is a ledgend and hope he stays with us for thre rest of his carear! himself and evra probably the two biggest bargins weve had in a long while

1 - 16 of 16 Posts