Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United centre back Nemanja Vidic has criticised his side's defensive display against Hull City yesterday and admitted they cannot afford a repeat performance.

The champions went into a 4-1 lead against the Tigers at Old Trafford but two late goals by the visitors ensured a very nervy finish as United held on for the win.

Vidic, who scored United's fourth goal of the afternoon, admitted his team could not play like that again. According to the Manchester Evening News, he said simply: “That must not happen again.â€

A Bernand Mendy goal pulled the game back to 4-2 before a Geovanni penalty made it 4-3 after Rio Ferdinand was adjudged to have fouled Mendy and Vidic admitted the Red Devils were hanging on at the end.

“Nobody could believe it. I wouldn't say the last few minutes were hard, but we were under pressure,†said the Serbian, “We should not be losing goals like that. There is no need to worry but we have to think about it because we must erase the mistakes.â€

Vidic also denied accusations that his side had become complacent in the game after taking a three goal lead.

“We knew Hull were a good team,†he explained, “They have surprised Arsenal already this season and they have 20 points, which says something about them.â€

The result moves United ahead of Hull in the table and they now sit third, five points off the top with a game in hand.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
spellbound said:
The over all team defending is horrible.

Is one of the missing pieces the loss of Q?
Thats what I was thinking.

I think that throughout this season the standard of our defence has dropped compared to the last 2 years. And its alright saying "Yes, but if we score more than the opposition" but that attitude is a poor attitude to have.

Also, our luck will run out in certain games (and possibly eventually) and it may cost us against the better teams.

Hopefully it'll improve soon, because we're not defending very well atm.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
It would help greatly if we stopped messing about with the RB slot. Last season we went 20 odd games without changing it once in the league, thats what we need to know now.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
TheManc said:
It would help greatly if we stopped messing about with the RB slot. Last season we went 20 odd games without changing it once in the league, thats what we need to know now.
Exactly, we need to have a consistent un-changed back four who play together week in week out.

I'd personally like to see Wes Brown at right-back. A lot of Neville's techniques are 'old fashioned' I guess I could say. He'll often kick it out for a corner rather than clear it the other way, which not too many other defenders do now. Also, he thinks he can get away with putting his arms around another player. I just don't think he's good enough, and Rafael's too young.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's strange how our problems have only appeared in the second half of our last three games. I think the team is mentally switching off after having very good first halves. It's definitely not acceptable though. I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the changing room after our game on Saturday. I bet Fergie lost it big time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts