Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here think Villa might break the "big 4" this season?

Unlike other seasons, there's a team staying VERY close to the top 4 and ready to
pounce on any mistakes...

They've got a good set up at Villa park and a talented manager IMO.

Friedal
Laursen
Maloney
Agbonlahor
Carew
Barry
Young

Bliddy decent players who would have a shout at playing in any of the top 4...

Views?

And if you think they will break it this season...who will they knock down?

And if you don't think they'll make it, why, and do you think they ever will?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
lol at the timing of your thread...... They just lost at home to Boro :D

I can see what your saying, Villa have a very good team, but top 4? Nah not
this season anyway. Top 6 side for me(ie 5th or 6th, no more no less)

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
:p I first thought this was David Villa thread again

I dunno, can't really see them breaking in till they become more consistent in their play...

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Yes, if they don't lose easy games.

I think there's more chance of a Villa v Man United 3rd round of the FA Cup tie, though.

Z

·
0 Posts
Stephen said:
Yes, if they don't lose easy games.

I think there's more chance of a Villa v Man United 3rd round of the FA Cup tie, though.
For the 96th season in a row :p

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jazz 16 said:
lol at the timing of your thread...... They just lost at home to Boro :D

I can see what your saying, Villa have a very good team, but top 4? Nah not
this season anyway. Top 6 side for me(ie 5th or 6th, no more no less)
:eek:..lol, I know...Turn on Sky and see the result! :p...

Thought about deleting it...:p......but I stand by it, I think they're the best equipped side to break the top 4...

Either them or hull.....;)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
They're a good team, but I don't believe they can or will. They've got lotsa great players, but they don't have the same level of quality as the big 4.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
they broke my heart today .i crossed rangers out and put villa down instead my other 2 selections won , oh dear!
once carew is out their a second class team.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
they are certainly the strongest side outside the top four, although i feel they need to add more quality to the team.
if they can keep pace with the 4th placed team they stand a chance.

ps. keano - maloney is now back at celtic

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I don't expect so.

That may sound a bit strange considering I thought Spurs had a strong chance of breaking into the top 4 at the start of the season :eek:

They're a good team and do have the best chance of anyone to break into the top 4 imo. However, they're too inconsitent, which could perhaps also have something to do with their pretty small squad. They get a great result then lose to a pretty pants team in the next game :p

If they can push on, keep some of their best players and buy more and a better quality of player next summer (if they fit into the team and to English football,) they could mount a serious Top 4 challenge next season.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Great result today shows that they are in with a shout........
2-0 away to Arse and a missed penalty says a lot about the team.

·
23,699 Posts
ITV

Villa can be a top four side - Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson has paid handsome tribute to Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill and claimed the Irishman could lead his club into the top four this season.

O'Neill has grasped the challenge provided by owner Randy Lerner at Villa Park with both hands, assembling an impressive squad packed with young English talent.

After a brief stutter, victory at Arsenal last week took the Midlands giants level on points with the Gunners and Ferguson said: "They can finish in the top four."

He added: "They are level with Arsenal and not far behind us, which is a good position to be in. It will be interesting because it is such a competitive league.

"Without question, Martin O'Neill is one of the best managers in the game.

"The only way you can judge managers is how they prove themselves over a period. And the job he has done at Leicester, Celtic and now Aston Villa makes him an obvious top manager."

The work O'Neill has done is also having an impact at international level.

Gabriel Agbonlahor and Gareth Barry were in the side that defeated Germany in Berlin on Wednesday, with Ashley Young and Curtis Davies muscling their way on to the bench.

Ferguson can see the positive effects as O'Neill sticks with the same side on a regular basis.

"He has built up a squad over the last couple of years that allows him consistent team selection," said Ferguson. "He doesn't make many changes and sticks by his format all the time."

Perhaps Fergie can learn something from his own statement, especially on our central midfield partnership? Even Rafa is trimming down the excesses in rotational play and appears to be reaping at least some rewards from it.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't look like such a stuid idea now IMO!!

League table ATM...

#.......Team....................P.......Pts
3. Manchester Utd.........13......25
4. Aston Villa.................14......24
5. Arsenal......................14......23
6. Hull............................14......22

And bear in mind Arsenal on a huge down hill now....Villa could well do it!!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Its possible they could do it, but its still only 14 games now. If they're still around that postion in another 14 odd games, then i reckon they very well could do so. Anything could happen until then, like a huge slump in form etc

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Keano! said:
Doesn't look like such a stuid idea now IMO!!

League table ATM...

And bear in mind Arsenal on a huge down hill now....Villa could well do it!!
do you realise how daft you seem now ? you posted how villa were the team to watch then when we draw with them away you l;ay into our side .

catch your self on fella;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts