Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They've took just one point from their last four league games now. Arsenal have also been crap recently but they've got back to within three points of Villa and could pip them to fourth spot.

They've still got to play United and Liverpool yet so they don't exactly have an easy run in.

Is Villa's squad strength (or lack of) being shown up or are they bottling it?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Their next four are make or break for them. I think it is Spurs, United, Everton, and 'pile if I remember correctly. They need to right the ship quick if they are going to get into the CL.

I am not sure, but I think that it is mostly due to the size of their club. We have seen the wonders a large club can do for us with all the injuries we have suffered through. If our club were any smaller, this would be a much more frustrating campaign so far.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
going thru a bad patch and the squad is a bit on the small side for a team competing for a CL place. the loss at home to chelsea has really rockd them and they have not won since. 2-0 nil up at home to stoke and then they blow it, only getting a point. thats the sort of game they should be winning if they want to contest a CL spot. again tonight they had a bad result, fair enough they were away at city, but they were missing the in-form bellamy and their star man robinho. at least a point tonight would have been expected

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
You have a paper thin squad, so you buy Heskey and a kid younger than me. :confused:

They're being found out for their squad strength.

Then again, they should be winning these matches if they were Champions League quality.

So I think its probably a bit of both.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
small squad does explain most of it, but keep in mind, they're only playing for the league now, while most of the others have 2 or 3 competitions still going.

It was a tough game tonight, so let's see if they can rebound, or if they've run the distance...

·
Registered
141 Posts
there in the same position as liverpool where there not used to being involved in a run in with ten games to go there interest in the league usually ends around christmas and they dont have the legs never mind bottle ,villa have overachieved and im sure next seson they will be back to there usual low stands

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I still think that Villa will reach a CL spot at the end although it will be very hard to beat arsenal in the race. I think this is just a bad couple of games and they will start to win again very soon

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I think its because they have such a small squad all the players are knackered, if they don't improve on there current form arsenal will claw the 4th place back :(

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
I know they wouldnt do anything in the comp but to give O'neil a dig at the UCL would be awesome.Hes put so much graft into building a young fluent Villa side and its a shame to see them start to crumble at the pinnacle point.Arsenal dont deserve 4th spot and i wouldnt miss them one bit next season.I really hope Villa can bag that spot!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think their momentum was halted either when they lost at home to Chelsea or when they got knocked out of the UEFA Cup. You often see winning or losing streaks in sport and Villa have hit a losing streak at the wrong time. Their remaining fixtures are very tough and tbh I think Arsenal will end up pipping them for 4th now because they have the likes of Eduardo and Fabregas coming back.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
villa's next game is at home to spurs who will be in good spirits after their 4-0 drubbing of boro. if they fail to win, id fancy arsenal to pip them to 4th.

they need to win their home games if they are serious about the CL spot

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
They werent expected to be a top 4 side this season and on paper they are the 5th/6th best team.
They will do very well to hold onto 4th (but I think Arse will nick it) :rolleyes:
As zuco mentioned, they do have a small squad which doesnt help things.

I think 7/8 of their players have played 90% of games this season (I heard that stat the other day)
so I guess the players are fatigued and burnt out, simple as that.
Coming 5th would still be a very good season for them.
Although they still have a chance and I really hope they nick 4th.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
To be honest I don't really understand why Villa have,
all of a sudden, become everybody's 2nd favourite
team.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
To be honest I don't really understand why Villa have,
all of a sudden, become everybody's 2nd favourite
team.
They have a good, young, predominantly English team with likable players (Young, Barry, Bouma, Laursen, Agbonlahor, Petrov, Milner for e.g.)
Ive always had a soft spot for them since the McGrath, Stan, Ray, Townsend and Yorkie days.
And we want to see Villa get 4th throwing Arsenal into the Europa cup. That would be so funny.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Well its pretty hard to believe that Villa are already in 5th place. They were a good 7/8 points up on Arsenal and now they seem to have blown it. I fancied them for 4th spot about a month or two ago but now I can only see Arsenal clinching it (or possibly Everton as an outside bet)
Its a real shame that we mightnt get to see them in the CL next season but its their final ball that has been letting them down. Young is a class act but his final ball today was poor as it has been recently.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's shocking how badly they've fallen apart. I suppose it was always predictable really with the size of their squad and all of Arsenal's top players coming back from injury, but it's a bit disappointing. I'd loved to have seen Arsenal in the UEFA Cup :D

To be honest they haven't played as good football as people give them credit for. A lot of it is just long balls over the top to Young and Agbonlahor against teams that play with a high defensive line. They've struggled against teams who sit deep and that's where they've failed at times.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
it was expected, they just did not have enough depth to really finish in the top four, hopefully they can go on a little run and put some pressure on arsenal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts