Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fav games but they ran on and up to XP - now I have Vista some will not even run anymore. Far Cry for example. Does anybody know of an first person shoot ups that are out for Vista? Will Far Cry 2 run on Vista?

Come on people, I am getting boooooooooooooooooooored!!!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doh! Vista is not actually crap, just takes some getting used to. Win Me was crap, then XP was crap, its getting used to something new, thats all.

I can play Sid Meier's Pirates on this though. Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
xp had a feature which allowed you to run games meant for other operating systems does vista not ? it could be also that vista puts a much bigger strain on system graphics so if game seems to load but doesnt play properly that could be it

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I had it running on patch 1.40 before, but not in Vista. The bloody cd has cracked now, for the second time, in the same place. Obviously a flaw in the construction. I will have to get a third copy now. Amazon - here I come:

Just got Pariah to work in Vista - with no adjustment. Just found possible video problem though - needs to research that one. One of the levels, as you swing around, the screens blacks out, weird!

And Serious Sam 1 & 2 also runs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Bioshock (IGN.com - 9,7/10), Half-Life 2: Episode 2

...and incoming: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky (August 2008), Project Origin (December 2008), Far Cry 2 (December 2008)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red Devil said:
Yes, I had it running on patch 1.40 before, but not in Vista. The bloody cd has cracked now, for the second time, in the same place. Obviously a flaw in the construction. I will have to get a third copy now. Amazon - here I come:

Just got Pariah to work in Vista - with no adjustment. Just found possible video problem though - needs to research that one. One of the levels, as you swing around, the screens blacks out, weird! - Found: default settings (on setup) in advanced optics, causing image failure, need to be changed.

And Serious Sam 1 & 2 also runs.
Another fault is in Far Cry, mouse not working. Solved by going through all options, setting then at default, then run it save it and change setting back, alles klar!!

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
Red Devil said:
doh! Vista is not actually crap, just takes some getting used to. Win Me was crap, then XP was crap, its getting used to something new, thats all.

I can play Sid Meier's Pirates on this though. Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!
[RAGE MODE = ON]

Gahhhhhh!!!

It doesnt matter if the games support Vista, you wont be able to play them with Vista gobbling up your resources like Jade Goody at an all you can eat buffet.

Vista is a horrible mangled excuse for an operating system.

Hence why in 2 years the new Windows version is coming out (when there is usually a 5, or longer, year gap between OS's) and they are current working on a new SP for XP.

Basically, Vista is a useless 12 million lines of code that does NOTHING to improve your computer and DEGRADE it in gaming standards.

Go back to XP.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Justice said:
[RAGE MODE = ON]

Gahhhhhh!!!

It doesnt matter if the games support Vista, you wont be able to play them with Vista gobbling up your resources like Jade Goody at an all you can eat buffet.

Vista is a horrible mangled excuse for an operating system.

Hence why in 2 years the new Windows version is coming out (when there is usually a 5, or longer, year gap between OS's) and they are current working on a new SP for XP.

Basically, Vista is a useless 12 million lines of code that does NOTHING to improve your computer and DEGRADE it in gaming standards.

Go back to XP.
But SP 3 for XP will be the last Service Pack for these windows.
Vista is being improved every day - some new games run smoother on Vista than on XP even NOW. And it can use more than 3,2GB RAM (unlike XP) and works better with Dual\Triple\Quad core processors than XP.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am currently running on Vista via my quad core 3gb RAM;

Far Cry
Chrome specForce
Serious Sam 2
Pariah
Halo
Prey
Pirates of the Caribbean
DarkStar One
Silent Hunter 4

With the exception of the last one (massive) These all run better now than ever before. SH4 can only run properly on a "big" machine.

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
Lawbreaker1944 said:
But SP 3 for XP will be the last Service Pack for these windows.
Vista is being improved every day - some new games run smoother on Vista than on XP even NOW. And it can use more than 3,2GB RAM (unlike XP) and works better with Dual\Triple\Quad core processors than XP.
Bye the time SP3 is outdated. Windows 8 (From what I've seen?) will be out.

Actually there are few very, less than a handful, of games that work better on Vista.

And about the RAM thing your wrong. Has nothing to with XP and Vista but the type of Vista/XP you use. Just about everyone uses 32bit which can only support 3.something GB of RAM (Both OS's!)

In your last statement I have to clarify that the only reason that it works "better" with dual and up is because it performs so terrible on single cores.

Red Devil said:
I am currently running on Vista via my quad core 3gb RAM;

Far Cry
Chrome specForce
Serious Sam 2
Pariah
Halo
Prey
Pirates of the Caribbean
DarkStar One
Silent Hunter 4

With the exception of the last one (massive) These all run better now than ever before. SH4 can only run properly on a "big" machine.
Those games are not demanding in the least, if your experiencing ANY unsuper gaming with 3GB RAM and any quad core then your GFX card is bottlenecking your system, what one you got?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Justice said:
Bye the time SP3 is outdated. Windows 8 (From what I've seen?) will be out.

In your last statement I have to clarify that the only reason that it works "better" with dual and up is because it performs so terrible on single cores.
How could you know, that Windows 8 will be unobjectionable from the very beginning?

Who cares about single cores nowadays? Most of the double cores are pretty cheap now. And Windows Vista can use more of their performance than XP.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SH4 is not demanding! It wouldn't even load on XP! The graphics are tv quality as well. Everyone is an expert ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts