Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rant is not just based on tonight's FA Cup tie against Southampton, but on this season in general.

A disclaimer before I begin - I'm a very pleased with tonight's 0-3 result and the chances we are creating give me reason to be very optimistic.

Still.....

We have been creating a lot of nice chances this season, bu have failed to make them pay.

The main reason for this is the decision-making of our attacking players.

It would seem to me that they are taking turns to be selfish or unselfish at the wrong time.

When there's a good chance to play a through ball for a team mate, we see the player with the ball hesitate and look for a more "specteculr" / "impressive" option.

In the case of Nani, he seem to run into trouble on purpose. Where a simple touch would take him past an opponent and into acres of space, he insists on running closer to the opponent and ultimately loses the ball.

IN the penalty area, we see players shooting when they should be passing and passing when they should be shooting.

We see them trying to play in their "amigos" when another team mate is much better placed and would have a much better chance.

We see players of all age doing silly flicks and tricks, when simple passes are more appropriate. Giggs would be a good example here.

I could go on, but think I've let out most of the steam I had.

What gives me hope, is the type of football we can be capable of and the thought that when these young players finally get over themselves and REALLY, REALLY start playing for the team, we're going to see some smoking hot football.

I mean, we're going to see some truly inspirational football like from the 90's.

Right now, our attacking players are relatively young, so when they learn when to do what skill and when their passing and reading of the game, as well as team mates' movement becomes better, it truly going to be samba time.

Till then, I'll try to remind myself of the future potential while i'm being frustrated by our young reds.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Look on the bright side... I say

We're grinding out the results, Sunderland at home a perfect example.

Rooney, Carrick, Scholes, Berb, VDS, Vidic, Rio all in fantastic form and all playing
well...aka, the spine of the team.

...we're not conceding many at all. The defense is coming good again, and Evans
is settling in nicely, although has a few rough edges and VDS is on top of his
game.

Our shooting has been a bit poor alright...

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
If I was told in August that we would be in a strong position to complete the sextuple in January, I would have been quite happy to tell the truth. But I do agree with you that it is frustrating that we're not finishing teams off like the06/07 season, where we were sweeping teams away by 4 and 5 week after week. But I am an optimist and think that eventually it's all going to click and we are going to go on a very very lon unbeaten run, intertwined with a plethora of goals. The sextuple is therefore definitely on and that is what will be Beautiul about our season .

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
If I was told in August that we would be in a strong position to complete the sextuple in January, I would have been quite happy to tell the truth. But I do agree with you that it is frustrating that we're not finishing teams off like the06/07 season, where we were sweeping teams away by 4 and 5 week after week. But I am an optimist and think that eventually it's all going to click and we are going to go on a very very lon unbeaten run, intertwined with a plethora of goals. The sextuple is therefore definitely on and that is what will be Beautiul about our season .
You just enjoy writing sex

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its just like when you play football, it can be as frustrating as it is beautiful,
but thats the beauty of the game ;)

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
We are great to watch yes,but severly lack the ability to finish consistently.We do all the hard work only for it to lead to nothing and thats what winds me up.We should have put at least 8 past the saints today.3-0 will do though

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i much enjoyed the last min winner against sunderland than seeing us beat them 5-0. blew cobwebs off the roof anyways lol.

na i understand what your saying. some games it is frustrating but its grinding out results that win you titles. im more than happy with the season at the moment. berbatov frustrates me sometimes, only sometimes with his decision making. rooneys finishing sometimes frustrates me. but without players like them this year we would be in a much worse situation. rooneys work off the ball and inspiration has got us results. berbas touches and a few of his goals have done us the job. so yeah its taking time but it is falling into place like a jigsaw as weeks go on so im pleased

only player that continues to make me struggle to compliment is Nani. fair play to the lad not much match fitness their year but thats obviously for a reason. he just seems to make bad situations worse and good situations bad as you said. i really wanna see him do well but just aint happening for the lad at the mo. needs to stop trying so hard and play with more flowing football. needs to stop trying to be the answer and help solve the problem

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
We need to shoot more imo, there are too many times where people try to make another pass instead of just putting one on goal, I think people are afraid to miss.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Being able to grind out results is good. But with the amount of shots at goal, I think we definitely need more goals. It's not that we can't create chances, it's that we create chances and don't score that bothers me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
this season has been a weird season for us. we dont play the free flow football like we used to be. we dont score the lot but we play some friggin good game. when we were expected to win comfortably, we only won by 1-0. we enjoyed most of the possession but we just couldnt find the net. it's totally frustrating. where gone our killing instinct?

but yet, we are gunning for 4 trophies. with a good result against southampton, hopefully, it would kick start our season. derby here we come !

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Clarky101 said:
i much enjoyed the last min winner against sunderland than seeing us beat them 5-0. blew cobwebs off the roof anyways lol.

na i understand what your saying. some games it is frustrating but its grinding out results that win you titles. im more than happy with the season at the moment. berbatov frustrates me sometimes, only sometimes with his decision making. rooneys finishing sometimes frustrates me. but without players like them this year we would be in a much worse situation. rooneys work off the ball and inspiration has got us results. berbas touches and a few of his goals have done us the job. so yeah its taking time but it is falling into place like a jigsaw as weeks go on so im pleased

only player that continues to make me struggle to compliment is Nani. fair play to the lad not much match fitness their year but thats obviously for a reason. he just seems to make bad situations worse and good situations bad as you said. i really wanna see him do well but just aint happening for the lad at the mo. needs to stop trying so hard and play with more flowing football. needs to stop trying to be the answer and help solve the problem
word!...

It's true that the late one-nils have been amazing to watch, but I could use a breather man. Stoke and Boro were absolute must-wins.

Dropping points against Liverpool, Chelsea and everton after leading were disapoointments and not winning against Spurs equally so.

Some of Berba's play has been brilliant though, but the team's decision making around the penalty box, as well as finishing has been poor.

IN fact, I haven't seen such poor finishing / dicision-making for a number of years.

·
Registered
376 Posts
**confessa** said:
Being able to grind out results is good. But with the amount of shots at goal, I think we definitely need more goals. It's not that we can't create chances, it's that we create chances and don't score that bothers me.
And 1-0 is always a dangerous score because it only takes a dodgy pen and the points are gone. Look at what happened to chelsea last season - they didn't concede many but their inability to get the second goal cost them (eg wigan)

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Toybos said:
Anyone else reminded of the Arsenal of a couple of seasons ago?
No more of the United from three seasons ago. 11 games that season without scoring, only 5 last season.

remember it for being the season when we ground out wins and lost in champions league to celtic when should have beat them easy, lille when we should have beat them easy and benfica as well.

This season aint like that but we are looking distinctly similar upfront

1 - 20 of 20 Posts