Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who thinks that Rooney has not physically looked in the right shape at any time this season? Everytime he gets the ball, he looks a bit slower than he should be and his touch is a bit off. He gave the ball away a number of times in the final simply because he was not sharp enough and did not control the ball quick enough. I think the injuries he has had along with being asked to play out of position are valid reasons, but he will have had a proper rest for next season as England are not in Euro 08. Also I am certain he will be playing behind a main striker next season (probably Huntelaar) in his natural role so there will be no more excuses. We all know he has all the ability but its just his fitness, next season Rooney must deliver.

·
Registered
63 Posts
He looks fit enough to me non stop running for 90 minutes,its his phsique which is different to alot of modern players.Judging him in the final to the rest of the season is a little unfair,didnt have a great match but he is a team player who works his socks off and has great natural ability...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
it is not fitness problem, it is sharpness problem. he can be out of sorts sometimes, due to his consistent and freakish injuries. rooney, alongside ronaldo, are the two fittest player in the squad, who can still sprint at full speed at the 90th min.

i do agree that rooney must contribute more next season, i just hate seeing fergie saying that it is going to be rooney's season, again. i hope he can really live up to the high expectations. i have no doubts about his abilities.

have an injury free season, and show the world what u can do!!

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Non stop running around is not match fitness. Put me on the pitch and I will run around non-stop, its what you do with the ball that matters mate.
You do not know what you will get from Rooney from one match to the next, he needs to be more consistant. I expect him to improve significantly next season.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
His sharpness and reaction time has been a bit off recently and that basically sums up his season in a nutshell.Injures have plagued him and this was not his best season,by any stretch of imagination

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Hes had a pretty average season.

But I wouldn't say hes unfit.

I just think that his injuries have disrupted his season.

Nothing major, and he'll be back next season. ;)

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
He hasn't had the best of seasons but he's performed great over the season.

The injury at the start was a huge blow for him and then there were side issues
with conceding a penalty for England and then his hip [problem which he suffered
against Blackburn Rovers.

He'll be fine come August and he'll be raring to go.

I'm delighted England didn't qualify because now players like Wayne and Rio can
get a well earned rest.

No worries on Wayne's fitness......;)

...In fact, along with Tevez, he's probably the fittest on the team!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not too concerned about the lack of goals ,its the impact that the Rooney persona has on Utd that makes him a great player.You get the same feeling that you had with Keane,Robbo,Sammy Mac,Hughsie true Utd players that had that bit extra ...Types of players that i want to see at Utd..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Banana-rama said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Rooney has not physically looked in the right shape at any time this season? Everytime he gets the ball, he looks a bit slower than he should be and his touch is a bit off. He gave the ball away a number of times in the final simply because he was not sharp enough and did not control the ball quick enough. I think the injuries he has had along with being asked to play out of position are valid reasons, but he will have had a proper rest for next season as England are not in Euro 08. Also I am certain he will be playing behind a main striker next season (probably Huntelaar) in his natural role so there will be no more excuses. We all know he has all the ability but its just his fitness, next season Rooney must deliver.
If youre talking about Match fitness during the season in general, then Wayne looked much more fit than last season when his touch was awful. But if youre talking about the final, and more notebly the game at Wigan, then I agree. But its only because he was just back from a hip injury and didnt do much training for quite some time before those two games.

With Rooney's body type doesnt help in that case. He needs a few games under his belt before you could see that Sharpness. Two major injuries in one season didnt help his case.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The boy has never had a decent rest...his either injured or in a major tournament like euro 04, world cup 06 and so on...he plays nearly every game when he is fit and usually 90 mins too...especially in the end of this season he played with an injury but thank god england are not in the euro 08 because now he can get fully fit and get rest and just kill next season with our new striker which is going to come soon!

·
Registered
846 Posts
he didnt play at all well against wigan he didnt look fit and he just didnt seem to have that flare wednesday night, he didnt seem to be enjoying it as much as the other players. love rooney when he is on form you cant get better! more goals next season please wazza.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Wayne Rooney

Is it me or is Wayne Rooney is overated like he does not score enough goals yes he always gives 100% but we need strikers who always find the net not strikers chase in back and playin rm or lm.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
He makes huge work in each match.

He is impossible to reproach it for that that he scored not enough goals.

He is a great player(one of the best) and always playing on 100 %!

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
he hasnt looked at his best in recent times but i think the summer off and a good pre-season will do wonders for him. He needs abit of itme off to let his body heal naturally from heat and then get a top pre-season in and he'll be ready to go next season. The same can be said about tevez, looks like he could be even better next season with a great pre-season as he didbt really have one at united in his first! I think out squad will be even stronger next season! Nani and anderson will have more confirdence comin into the new season too! Nani will have played in the euro2008 championship too so it can only further his development.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think the main problem with rooney is ,he is not played in his most effective position behind 2 strikers.he will always make more goals than he will score so give him the creators job,in a position where he can strike at goal ;then we will see a proper world class player.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
no mate you are wrong rooney fitness is awesome but the inures hunted him down this season
you will see him next season playing better than ronaldo :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I admit this season hasn't been his greatest. But I am sure with England out of the Euro 2008 this will give him a nice rest with nice hours of training and no presure. I am expecting alot of good things from Rooney next season. I hope I'm right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
sweet fa said:
i think the main problem with rooney is ,he is not played in his most effective position behind 2 strikers.he will always make more goals than he will score so give him the creators job,in a position where he can strike at goal ;then we will see a proper world class player.

Agreed. Roo has to be played in his best position to be really effective.

When he is stuck out on the wing, he looks frustrated however, he is the ultimate team player willing to sacrifice himself for the club. His performance at the Nou Camp underlined his commitment to the cause of the team.

In the final league match against Wigan he may not have scored but he was taken down for the pen and his defence splitting pass put Giggsy through for the winner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts