Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine, tomorrow Sir Alex came out and said that either Ronaldo or Rooney had to leave the club and move on to another club whilst the other would stay and finish their career at the Theatre of Dreams.

Who would you want to stay? Wayne or Cristiano?

Wayne's passion and strength?
Ronaldo's twinkling toes and bullet speed?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd keep Rooney in a heartbeat . Ronaldo showed by his performamce today that yet again he underperformed on the big occasion especially when Rooney is not playing.

they say chickens come home to roost and maybe the result today will humble him. He does too much blowing his own trumpet for my liking like saying earlier in the week he was a shoe-in for world player of the year-pathetic!!!!Its time he shut up and let his football do the talking. Let's hope city's win today is a wake up call for the likes him and ferdinand.

Rooney is the real talisman as stats back up with 5 defeats when he wasnt there

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already Wazza is out in front and rightly so, IMO. His passion is second to none. When I see Ronny go sliding in for a tackle after running 60 yards to do so......I'll consider him........lol

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Fergaiste said:
I'd keep Rooney in a heartbeat . Ronaldo showed by his performamce today that yet again he underperformed on the big occasion especially when Rooney is not playing.

they say chickens come home to roost and maybe the result today will humble him. He does too much blowing his own trumpet for my liking like saying earlier in the week he was a shoe-in for world player of the year-pathetic!!!!Its time he shut up and let his football do the talking. Let's hope city's win today is a wake up call for the likes him and ferdinand.

Rooney is the real talisman as stats back up with 5 defeats when he wasnt there
As much as i agree with your post, I still believe Rooney has been quite poor this season. I just wish he could recreate some of his old form in front of goal.
When he is there he brings the best out of others if not himself and today showed how much we need him.
Id pick Rooney over Ronaldo purely for the way he plays and the fighting spirit he shows.
Ronaldo may nothave stepped up when it really matters but he has saved our bacon many times this season ALREADY....
but as Ferg said he should stop blowing his own trumpet and do the talking on the pitch.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
As much as i agree with your post, I still believe Rooney has been quite poor this season. I just wish he could recreate some of his old form in front of goal.
When he is there he brings the best out of others if not himself and today showed how much we need him.
Id pick Rooney over Ronaldo purely for the way he plays and the fighting spirit he shows.
Ronaldo may nothave stepped up when it really matters but he has saved our bacon many times this season ALREADY....
but as Ferg said he should stop blowing his own trumpet and do the talking on the pitch.

Fair enough Jazz but at the same time although Ronaldo may have more than twice as many goals as Wazza the latter is still more important to the team. The only area where Rooney is falling down is his goals per shots ratio. He seems to lack confidence at the mo in that dept as evidenced by the spurs game. But with injuries and suspensions this season this goal drought has become inevitable. hopefully between now and the end of the season he will have an interruption free run. On his shoulders our title hopes will sink or swim.

his general play is still immense and a clear example is the villa game in the cup when we including ronaldo were abject. All of a sudden United's favourite scouser came on and changed the game and Ronaldo came to life.

Starting on saturday against the gunners we need to go on another run and the football not the occasion today will be long forgotten

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Well said. i agree that the title hopes could be on Rooney's broad shoulders.
He needs to step up to the plate and start banging in the goals.
We all know he can do it, lets just pray he does...
I also believe that some of the others need to step up to the plate.
We need something a bit more stable in midfield. Anderson has been picked in ALL the big games this season. he was amazing against Arse and Pool but I felt today that Hargreaves or Carrick deserved the nod to play.

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
ronaldo would stay for me .

provided we got someone in to do the donkeywork up front . tevez is not big or strong enough .

more power to the arguement for a old fashioned number 9 when things dont click . oh and ronaldo was out for 3 of the losing games as well

scholes looked slow today as he was bound to after coming back from long break they often get through first match on adrenaline then fade a bit

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
ronaldo is obviously the better player so i would choose him,

ppl expect wayyyy too much from ronaldo, he had no break at all im comparison to all the other attackers in uniteds side since december, he just had a very difficult game against italy and today was expected to play upfront when scholes and anderson did not really perform together at all behind him.

maybe rooney is more of an identity to english football so if thats the reason u would want to keep him then yes, but im terms of footballing ability, ronaldo without a doubt. He could play in any country, rooney probably is limited to english football.

Another thing i would say is that about ronaldo and big games, its only recently he hasnt really been performing in them, but this stuff happens. Ronaldo puts in a bad performance and people are once again...rooney rooney roooney blah blah blah....i guarentee you over a season we would have more of a chance of winning the premiership and CL with ronaldo than rooney. Last season proved it when ronaldo was a huge part in our success and i highly doubt we would have won the league without his individual performances last season. Rooney the season before last had a great season but it did nothing for us. When rooney is on top form he is class but when ronaldo is on top form his a little better.

Nothing against rooney, the guy is class and does alot of hard work but if you gave all the best managers in the world a choice of between rooney and ronaldo and who to take on footballing ability, every top manager i think would take ronaldo

·
Registered
309 Posts
Got to disagree with you ther mate. The only big game that I can recall Ronaldo playing well in was the home game against roma last season. Okay he produces the odd cameo but he is nowhere near as prominent as he is against the lesser teams. I feel he needs Rooney more than rooney needs ronaldo to turn it on . Rooney in contrast is the essence of a big game player,

aS for Rooney being limited to english football I don't think so. He has pace, great technique,works his socks off and can score and set up goals. Such qualities would make him a success anywhere imo He has proven with England and in the champions league that he can more than match the best defenders.The only thing that would stop him is his temperament in a foreign league. still this wont be an issue as Rooney wont move abroad

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I would keep Rooney. I see him becoming captain one day. He has that take no prisoner mentality, he doesn't get bossed around. Ronaldo already said he wants to play in Spain, so we already have another retirement package set up from Real Madrid. Plus, I almost see Ronaldo as being similar to Henry. They both scored a lot of goals, but maybe it was better they weren't there. Now I'm not suggesting we sell Ronaldo this instand. He has been incredible for us, but I can't help but feel if he didn't score as much, Rooney, Tevez, and others would be scoring more. It's almost like people pass to him because of the expectations or something. Now, something I might want to see this season is a game where Rooney plays and Ronaldo doesn't, compare that to when Ronaldo plays and Rooney doesn't.

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haggler said:
ronaldo would stay for me .

provided we got someone in to do the donkeywork up front . tevez is not big or strong enough .

more power to the arguement for a old fashioned number 9 when things dont click . oh and ronaldo was out for 3 of the losing games as well
scholes looked slow today as he was bound to after coming back from long break they often get through first match on adrenaline then fade a bit
Every game we've lost this season...........Wazza's not featured.....it's fact

·
Registered
114 Posts
What are people like. One bad game all season and people are having a go at Ronaldo. Even the likes of George Best had an off day. I would prefer Ronaldo. You cant buy that sort of qualty.

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
donthered said:
What are people like. One bad game all season and people are having a go at Ronaldo. Even the likes of George Best had an off day. I would prefer Ronaldo. You cant buy that sort of qualty.
I didn't intend this to be a thread to have digs at Wazza or Ronny! It's a decision that will probably never be made infact never will be made but "if" it did........who would ya keep?

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
has ronaldo been out of any of the games we lost? has rooney featured in so many games this season? didnt he have like two injuries already this season? to me its simple, ronaldo is the better player. He doesnt perform on the big stage? euro 2004? world cup 2006? best young player in both tournaments.....but ofcourse he doesnt perform....okay he hasnt been performing in the big games in the PL this season but if your trying to tell me that rooney performs better in the big games than ronaldo in the champions league your having a laugh.....

ronaldo has the mentality and ability to perform at the very highest stage, rooney doesnt have the mentality to perform outside of england imo....in spain he'll be sent off every other week because he will be no better technically than the average spanish/SA player and in italy he'll have no space at all to perform.

And about if ronaldo wasnt there than rooney and tevez would be scoring more goals...thats a bizzare thing to say imo....its not like ronaldo is stopping the others from scoring, he plays out wide for starters....rooney and tevez play through the middle, credit to ronaldo for scoring all these goals is what people should be saying, not by him scoring the others cannot...hmmmmm

ronaldo is considered one of the best players in the world....is rooney one of the best strikers in the world let alone players? not convinced...i think his definately one of the best strikers on ability in the PL...but he needs to improve, ppl are always so quick to hype rooney and bring down ronaldo, every bad game ronaldo has is like a new oppurtunity to take a dig at him imo, thats how hated he is in the PL....but if your ask around europe, its all ronaldo, ronaldo, ronaldo. milan, inter, barca and real madrid would all take ronaldo if they had even the slightest chance....they would think alot harder before taking rooney believe me, simply because is he the best in his position let alone one of the best players in the world?

ronaldo = one of the top 3 players in the world, top 5 no questions........rooney is not in that category

and about ronaldo needing rooney more than rooney needing ronaldo, we were top of the league or just abouts for pretty much the whole season throughout all these injuries rooney has had! where did u get that idea from?!? ronaldo doesnt need rooney at all but UNITED as a team player better when they are both in the team because they have a great understanding and good footballers understand each other, they are both quick too and have played together for many years so they know each other greatly...

we should be glad we have both but if im totally honest, ronaldo is the better individual player....

pz

1 - 20 of 28 Posts