Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch the beginning of the game between Everton and Blackburn this evening.

I see they make a special minute for Rhys Jones - the boy who was shot
down in Liverpool and who died.

Usually this is a minute silence but today they clap and cheer !!!

They do this too for George Best !!!

For me this is very good way to do things.

In my country - Romania - we always clap, applaud and cheer for funerals and one minute respect.

When I first come to UK I see this 'minutes silence' and I dont understand this !!!

For us it was very strange to see this way of celebrating life ......

In Romania at a place call Sapanta we even have the 'Laughing Cemetry' where grave stones have funny story and joke - the whole cemetry is bright and cheerful and makes people feel happy to go to pay respects for their loved ones.....

I am wondering if UK people feel our method of remembering the dead is good - or do they prefer the silent method........?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I definetely prefer the silent method. People shouldn't make fun of death, because it is the saddest thing ever, so I show my respect to the person I loved by silent recollection.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It was nice to see the minutes applause for young Rhys Jones. It was what his parents wanted and you could see it meant a lot to them. I prefer to see the minutes applause in general. When its a minutes silence you sometimes get some as*hole making noise, which is unbearable to stand.
I like the way you do things in Romania but If its to be used in Britain it should depend on the circumstance of death imo. I was at a neighbours funeral recently and his dying wish was for his funeral to be fun and for his loved ones to tell funny stories. He didnt want a horribly sad, dreary affair. He got his wish and it was a lovely service for all concerned.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
nah i perfer the clapping method.....with the silent one, you always get some jackass(es) shouting etc making noises and being disrectful. With the clapping method these people can't do anything to stand out which is good.

·
Registered
782 Posts
SolskjaertheLegend said:
nah i perfer the clapping method.....with the silent one, you always get some jackass(es) shouting etc making noises and being disrectful. With the clapping method these people can't do anything to stand out which is good.
Yea, it depends on "quality" of supporters. But funeral is something different. There are no enemy assholes, nobody poisons the atmosphere.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Lawbreaker1944 said:
Yea, it depends on "quality" of supporters. But funeral is something different. There are no enemy assholes, nobody poisons the atmosphere.
yeah, i agree it should be silent at a funeral

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This shows our 'Merry Cemetry' in Sapanta.....

It is very beautiful place and is kept immaculate clean !!!

Look at the grave stone......very bright and happy.

The man talking is the one who make crosses for here ....

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Lawbreaker1944 said:
I definately prefer the silent method. People shouldn't make fun of death, because it is the saddest thing ever, so I show my respect to the person I loved by silent recollection.
me too, this clapping is stupid. why do they clap because some kid got killed.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red Devil said:
me too, this clapping is stupid. why do they clap because some kid got killed.
For us this is normal though - we celebrate a life.....France do it too and many more place in Europe.......different culture I guess :)

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SeanUnited said:
Some people celebrate life, some mourn death, the English prefer to be unhappy :p
I have Grandfather buried in Sapanta and we go there to say hello to him....and we come away feeling very happy and cheerful - my grandfather is never going to come back I know this....but the memories of him will always be with me and no one can take them off me......and all my memories are happy ones - so I have no reason to be sad and gloomy :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've always felt that the silent treatment was just awkward.

Everyone has a "silent toast" in their own spare time. When they sit down and reflect on what happened, or memories, etc.

I think it is entirely situational. I think it would be inappropriate to be clapping if it was a brutal/grotesque event. But to mourn a "typical" death, I think a clap, jokes, stories, etc. is perfectly fine.

As someone suggested... so often do we mourn the death, we forget to celebrate the life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts