Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TROLOLOLOL
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MANCHESTER UNITED march on and you sense now the battle is for second place.

The champions sit comfortably top of the Premier League with that game in hand — and the gulf between Alex Ferguson's men and the chasing pack is just widening.
They do not concede and there are players all over the pitch who can score.

Right now, they even have the luxury of leaving some of their best players in the stand as they recover from injury.
Imagine what they'll be like when the likes of Wayne Rooney and Patrice Evra return.
This is as dominant a team as boss Ferguson has had in his 23 years at the helm of Old Trafford.
The only reason they are not further ahead is because of their exploits as a result of being European Champions.
That involved an early trip to Monaco for the European Super Cup and the World Club Cup jaunt to Tokyo.
But you really cannot see how they are going to muck this up.
Arsenal are out of it. Aston Villa's ambitions stretch to qualifying for the Champions League while Liverpool and Chelsea have shown their frailties in recent weeks. Problems off the pitch have also dogged the latter two, while Ferguson's tight ship avoids any choppy waters.
A fifth 1-0 win in seven games suggests this was close but the truth is United never looked like losing and Everton never looked like scoring.
The latest shutout bagged them an English League record of 1,122 minutes without conceding a goal.
And Goodison boss David Moyes knew he was watching the champions.
He admitted: “United did some things in that first half that left me drooling.
“You are trying to find ways of stopping them and attacking them ourselves but you look at it and at times I was saying it's nearly impossible.
“I was looking and saying ‘well, it's very difficult, you've just got to hang in there sometimes.'
“Your goalkeeper makes a couple of saves, you hang in there and that's what we did. I think when you get on a run like they are part of them will be thinking ‘we're not going to give this up'.
“There's a real determination not to give it up and I think you can see that in their faces.â€
“They're all capable of doing so much. The way they have got here just shows there is so much strength in depth.â€
That depth of squad has allowed United to continue fighting on four fronts and to suggest they will seal a sensational Quadruple is not fantasy.
Often long unbeaten runs come about through lack of injuries and a consistency in team selection.
Yet Fergie has not enjoyed that luxury and has been forced to chop and change a back four.
He has, though, had a goalkeeper in Edwin van der Sar who is thriving in the twilight of his career. And in England midfield ace Michael Carrick United have one of Europe's creators supreme.
They also still have this lot — Evra, Rooney, Jonny Evans, Rafael, Nani and Anderson — waiting in the wings to come back from injury.
As well as a rock-solid defence, United possess an attacking array of talent that draws you to the edge of your seat.
On Saturday, Cristiano Ronaldo made it 14 goals for the season from the penalty spot.
The Portuguese wing wizard's battered ankles skipped him through another game before giving his assessment on another win.
Ronaldo, who turns 24 on Thursday, said: “We played well in the first half especially. We created a few chances and scored.
“The second half was a little bit more difficult with Everton only playing on the counter-attack. Everton are not an easy team. But we are top of the league and that is the most important thing.
“I am happy with my season but the most important thing is that the team stay top.
“I have scored a few important goals and I want that to carry on. It wanted to do my job and help the team.
“The clean sheet record is unbelievable. Edwin deserves it. He is a great goalkeeper and works a lot for his age!
“I am happy for him and the defenders who support him a lot.â€
Ferguson is glowing right now with immense pride at the amazing 12 consecutive clean sheets his team have notched up. He said: “The record is fantastic. I could not believe when I read in the paper that the last time we conceded a goal in the league was against Arsenal back in November.




“I don't know how many times we have had to change the back four and every player who has come in has done their job.
“We have shown good concentration over those 12 games.
“The main credit has to go to Edwin who has shown great composure and used all his experience.
“Vidic has been a warrior too. But everyone who has come into that back four deserves credit.
“We want to keep the record of winning and keep our form going.â€
Liverpool kept up the pressure with their narrow win against Chelsea at Anfield yesterday — and are two points adrift.
And as Ferguson added: “We have an advantage now but it is not huge with still 16 games to go.â€
No, the numerical advantage is not huge, but the gulf in class is, even on teams as talented as Chelsea and Liverpool.



http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2194030.ece
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I'm not one for opening the champagne before the race is won.

Can't disagree with anything in the article, but being United we'll find a way of making things more difficult than they need to be. I'd like us to open up a bit of daylight before the Champions League starts again, two points lets the scousers think they're still involved . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
A slip up vs the Hammers and everyone will be saying thes scousers are in pole position gain. The race won't even be nearly settled before March 14 th at OT...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Hey am I writing for the Sun know days lol!

I was only saying the same thing the other day lol!!!

We will win by 10 points or over get to the bookies I said it !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
red dave said:
Hey am I writing for the Sun know days lol!

I was only saying the same thing the other day lol!!!

We will win by 10 points or over get to the bookies I said it !!
I wonder what the odds are on that?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,712 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
A slip up vs the Hammers and everyone will be saying thes scousers are in pole position gain. The race won't even be nearly settled before March 14 th at OT...
how do you work that one out bud? we would still be in pole position even if we do slip up against west ham :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
cantos red army said:
how do you work that one out bud? we would still be in pole position even if we do slip up against west ham :confused:
But the vermin are away on Saturday at Portsmouth, who are in freefall. If we struggle at West Ham on Sunday, as we often do, they could be above us by Saturday night and remain a point clear? We need a point at least from the Boleyn. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
ReddestFront said:
But the vermin are away on Saturday at Portsmouth, who are in freefall. If we struggle at West Ham on Sunday, as we often do, they could be above us by Saturday night and remain a point clear? We need a point at least from the Boleyn. :cool:
TBH. I think we need all 3 . We have to finally get one over the hammers, our record there is abismal and we seriously need to eradicate it......
 

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
TBH. I think we need all 3 . We have to finally get one over the hammers, our record there is abismal and we seriously need to eradicate it......
I know they're in great form, but I can see us giving West Ham a bit of a mauling at the weekend, I predict a 4 or 5 nill.

Also, I think the sale of Robbie Keane today without bringing anybody in could just put the ball a bit far into our court for Liverpool to cope with in the latter stages of the season.

Its all going to plan if you ask me, and the best bit is we haven't really got out of 3rd gear properly yet.

I know a lot can change, but I think we should have what it takes to win the league now, we've probably got through the worst injury situation we will have all season in the busiest time of the season with a near perfect record.

The cup competitions are still anyone's game
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
TBH. I think we need all 3 . We have to finally get one over the hammers, our record there is abismal and we seriously need to eradicate it......
We haven't won there since '05, and have lost the last 2, Ronaldo missing a penalty last season that would have put us 0 - 2 up.

Richie said:
I know they're in great form, but I can see us giving West Ham a bit of a mauling at the weekend, I predict a 4 or 5 nill.
:eek:

I admire your optimism, but don't share it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,828 Posts
Great article...

I hope our guys didn't read it! Don't need any enlarged craniums at this point.

No doubt about it we're in a great spot. But this race is a long way from over. The dipper win over chelski surely improved their fragile confidence level. And, unfortunately, they will likely beat pompey fairly easily to go top.

We can't afford any complacency - every game from here on becomes the most important of the season, We need to beat WH, it's that simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
TBH. I think we need all 3 . We have to finally get one over the hammers, our record there is abismal and we seriously need to eradicate it......
Couldn't agree with you more - but this time I really think the lads' confidence is sky high and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see classy win. Maybe not the 4/5 goals win that we'd like, but a very well-controlled, hammers-won't-get-a-sniff-of-a-goal kind of win. Emphatic. And the British record for Our Ed while they're at it.
With Liverpoo having to do an embarrassing about-face on Keane (whoever the hell thought he was worth 20 mil...and I'm Irish so am duty-bound to support him) and with Rafa looking more like a dictator and less like a football manager every day, I'd say it could be a pivotal game this season psychologically.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I think the Sun article is a bit over the top to be honest, we still have some very difficult fixtures and the Premier League is far from won. The guy who said that we will beat West Ham by 4 or 5 clearly doesn't know very much about football, we have really struggled at Upton Park in recent seasons and West Ham are in great form at the moment. We are struggling for goals and are winning most of our matches by a 1-0 scoreline, so if West Ham take the lead we could be in trouble. I am confident that we will win the league again but there is alot more work to do, we still have to play Arsenal, Aston Villa, Liverpool, West Ham away on saturday, Middlesbrough away and there are other tough fixtures. Plus the return of Wayne Rooney will pose more problems because he is a liability to the team most of the time, Tevez and Berbatov have a good partnership going so when Rooney returns and inevitably is put straight back into the team then the level of our attacking play will probably go down a bit.
 

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
The-Thunderbolt-Kid said:
I think the Sun article is a bit over the top to be honest, we still have some very difficult fixtures and the Premier League is far from won. The guy who said that we will beat West Ham by 4 or 5 clearly doesn't know very much about football, we have really struggled at Upton Park in recent seasons and West Ham are in great form at the moment. We are struggling for goals and are winning most of our matches by a 1-0 scoreline, so if West Ham take the lead we could be in trouble. I am confident that we will win the league again but there is alot more work to do, we still have to play Arsenal, Aston Villa, Liverpool, West Ham away on saturday, Middlesbrough away and there are other tough fixtures. Plus the return of Wayne Rooney will pose more problems because he is a liability to the team most of the time, Tevez and Berbatov have a good partnership going so when Rooney returns and inevitably is put straight back into the team then the level of our attacking play will probably go down a bit.
Lol believe me mate my knowledge isnt bad, some of the other posters here will back me up on that! Form isnt everything, i know West Ham have looked a very efficiet team lately. All I said was that I have a feeling we will give them a bit of a mauling this weekend, and I have have that feeling.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top