Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just occurred to me today, something very peculiar indeed.

We've just wrapped up our second Premiership on the trot and we're a good shot at winning the Champions League too.

Now look at our squad closely. This summer we'll be sending a grand total of FOUR players to the European Championships.

I'm not complaining. I'm over the moon.:D McLaren guiding England to 3rd place in their group gave me a warm fuzzy feeling of contentment.

It's just weird though. If you break it down further, Ronaldo is the only guaranteed starter out of those four.

Evra is brilliant but France have enough top class left backs to fill a team on their own. Clichy, Abidal, Givet & Evra will all be vying for the one spot.

Kuszczak hasn't played for Poland since he let that Colombian goalkeeper score against him from a goal kick. Quite embarrassing.:eek:

Nani will also probably be playing but I'd imagine he'd be used more as a sub due to a lack of experience with Quaresma preferred.

Which means I guess only Ronaldo will be playing every match. Does anybody else find that weird for a team of United's stature?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
its very strange indeed but for our chances next season it is marvellous news,most of the players will be fully recharged and injury free for the start of the season so lets get off to a flyer to put pressure on the rest.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes pretty strange but got to remember we would of had ... Brown, Rio, Hargo, Carrick (surely he would of picked him for this !!) and Rooney.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
It is a bit odd.

Imo, Evra is the best left-back in the World at this moment and he should start for France, but it will probably be Abidal.

Obviously the home nations + Ireland not qualifying means that quite a few players miss out.

And we may have a few extra players playing (talking of any potential signings here ;)) though they probably won't be our players when they play unless we sign them early like we did with Anderson and Nani last year.

But who cares? It means less chance of injuries to our players? :p

There are a few players who come from outside Europe, so obviously they won't be playing in an actual tournament, though they will be playing in games.

But the names who won't be going are striking.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
It's odd, but not bad!

A collection of the best players does not necessarily equate to the best team.
Team's need to be balanced and it takes a manager's experience to assemble a squad that can gel on the pitch and get along in the dressing room.

Another positive factor is the amount of England Internationals at Man utd.

Arsenal have two English players: Hoyte and Walcott and they hardly play.
Chelsea have Terry, Cole, Bridge and Lampard
Liverpool have Carragher, Crouch and Gerrard

Man Utd?
Foster, Ferdinand, Neville, Brown, Hargreaves, Carrick and Rooney

That's a good group of English international players and they will be well-rested for the coming season. It basically means that Man Utd will be fresh to start the next season and i couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
lol real fan.....
anyway...it is quite odd that they are not playing...
but if england had gone through then we would have had more players playing.......

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
ADAM_85 said:
Anderson will be at the olympics too.
:eek:

I hate it when players go to the Olympics.

Like when you-know-who went to the Olympics with Argentina in 2004 meaning we were in fear that he got injured and the fact that it delayed his debut.

Who actually plays in the Olympics anyway? :p

·
Registered
130 Posts
God knows.

China? Brazil? Portugal. Its under 21 aswel I'm sure.

"The IOC felt a change was necessary to bring interest back, and decided to admit professional players. FIFA still did not want the Olympics to rival the World Cup, so a compromise was struck that allowed teams from Africa, Asia, Oceania, North America, Central America and the Caribbean to field their strongest professional sides, while only allowing UEFA and CONMEBOL teams to pick players who had not previously played in a World Cup."

"The idea of youth teams found favour at both FIFA and the IOC, and since 1992 players must be under 23 years of age, with three over-23 players allowed per squad. The tournament is now effectively an "Under-23 World Cup", complementing FIFA's own tournaments at Under-20 and Under-17 levels. The new format allows teams from around the world to compete equally, and African and Asian countries have taken particular advantage of this, with Nigeria and Cameroon winning in 1996 and 2000 respectively"

Source...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics
Lets hope the writer put a source in.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
ADAM_85 said:
God knows.

China? Brazil? Portugal. Its under 21 aswel I'm sure.

"The IOC felt a change was necessary to bring interest back, and decided to admit professional players. FIFA still did not want the Olympics to rival the World Cup, so a compromise was struck that allowed teams from Africa, Asia, Oceania, North America, Central America and the Caribbean to field their strongest professional sides, while only allowing UEFA and CONMEBOL teams to pick players who had not previously played in a World Cup."

"The idea of youth teams found favour at both FIFA and the IOC, and since 1992 players must be under 23 years of age, with three over-23 players allowed per squad. The tournament is now effectively an "Under-23 World Cup", complementing FIFA's own tournaments at Under-20 and Under-17 levels. The new format allows teams from around the world to compete equally, and African and Asian countries have taken particular advantage of this, with Nigeria and Cameroon winning in 1996 and 2000 respectively"

Source...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics
Lets hope the writer put a source in.
Thanks for that.

Certainly learned something then ;)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually I'm not sure whether or not they'll be going but while Olympics teams are predominantly under 21, they have a quota of mature players.

I believe Kaka has expressed a desire to represent Brazil & Mascherano wants to represent Argentina.

Rafa's apparently quite annoyed at Masch as he wants him fresh. :)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
You know why ?

England did not qualify !

If England had..... we would have

Rooney
Brown
Rio
Hargreaves
Carrick(Possibly)

Ronaldo