Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we lost the FA Cup semi final at Wembley against Everton in heart breaking curcumstances, but I think there were many Positives to be taken from the game. The first being that if justice was done we would have won that match, as we were denied a clear penalty and goal scoring opportunity late in the second half - which frankly I think we would have been given had it not been for Moyes's remarks in the week about his belief that the referee is a United fan.

Many would have questioned Sir Alex's decision to start with a team mainly consisting of young players, but he clearly felt the big name players were too tired, and that this was a perfect opportunity for the youngsters to show their hunger and potential, and a trully believe they did just that. His decision to play Rio and Vidic in defense was pivotal too as a young team would need an experienced rock to fall back on, they were fantastic today and I think that was one of their best performances as a partnership.

In goal, Foster had a couple of nervy moments but he kept a clean sheet over 120 minutes and needed to be given the opportunity to show his worth. The Da Silva twins were fanastic in the fullback positions especially as they have both been out with injuries, they made good use of the ball and defended excellently. In midfield, Gibson battled well and did very little wrong, had a great shot too, while Anderson had one of his most productive games in a long time which has restored some of my confidence in him. On the right it has to be said Park was poor, his use of the ball was shocking and he did very little to impact the game. Contrast to the other flank where Welbeck showed he has plenty of potential, using the ball well, finding the right passes and moving well to link up with Macheda. Should have had a penalty/goal too. Up front, Tevez had a bad game, made poor use of the ball as has become a regular thing of late, and never looked like scoring. Though he did find some very good positions to recieve the ball. Macheda, who was the stand out player for me, led the line like a man far beyond his age. He played with the agression and desire of a true center forward. He was winning headers, linking up with his team mates, particularly Welbeck, and I think if he'd had more time on the pitch he could have got a goal. He looked like just the kind of player we need to partner Rooney and showed huge potential.

This game has shown many positive things to me. One of which being that when/ if (I'm pretty sure he will) Tevez leaves this summer, we may not need to splash out on a new striker because Macheda really looked the part today, he was not fazed by the occasion and gave a very good defensive partnership some problems. Welbeck looks like able back up too.

While we did lose the game, we should have won it with the penalty that never was. And it is this kind of bold belief in the younger players we have that has allowed us to have such continued success under Alex Ferguson's management. Alot of the youngsters took this opportunity with both hands and showed they are ready to make the step up whenever the boss wants them too.

The future is bright, the future is red

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Yep!

Couldn't agree more and have said so in the matchday thread.

Our teenagers gave the expereienced and season pros of Everton a run for their money.

They did us proud and i'm excited about all the youngsters we saw today including Gibson, who I think many on this site were too quick to write off.

Macheda and Welbeck seem to have a good understanding and I really hope we will witness the partnership blossom at Old Trafford.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep!

Couldn't agree more and have said so in the matchday thread.

Our teenagers gave the expereienced and season pros of Everton a run for their money.

They did us proud and i'm excited about all the youngsters we saw today including Gibson, who I think many on this site were too quick to write off.

Macheda and Welbeck seem to have a good understanding and I really hope we will witness the partnership blossom at Old Trafford.
Yup, all very promising. And I was one who doubted Gibson's credibility but he's shown he could be a worthy squad member. Welbeck and Macheda's understanding was what really created chances for us today, I think Ferguson will trust them now to make their mark on the first team.

We also have a host of young talent coming through in the youth teams, most notably for me Matt James, Ryan Tunnicliffe and Ravel Morrison, Petrucci too, who are showing more promise now than the likes of Gibson did at that age and will be inspired by today's team to make the step up to the first team

I've never felt so positive after a defeat!

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
top post, couldn't agree more.
we inevitably were going to have to rest players having travelled from a big away game at porto and with a vital league game in the week. fergie had to prioritise and he did, and rightly so. our kids gave a great account of themselves in front of 88,000+, and against a very good top 6 side. macheda was great, wanting the ball, good awareness on multiple occasions to link up with welbeck and tevez. also has a great physique unlike welbeck at the moment, which is fantastic for a 17 year old.
as RFR said in another thread, we SHOULDN'T forget about today, because gibson, the da silvas, macheda and welbeck all gave us great hope for the future of our team.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Today we lost the FA Cup semi final at Wembley against Everton in heart breaking curcumstances, but I think there were many Positives to be taken from the game. The first being that if justice was done we would have won that match, as we were denied a clear penalty and goal scoring opportunity late in the second half - which frankly I think we would have been given had it not been for Moyes's remarks in the week about his belief that the referee is a United fan.

Many would have questioned Sir Alex's decision to start with a team mainly consisting of young players, but he clearly felt the big name players were too tired, and that this was a perfect opportunity for the youngsters to show their hunger and potential, and a trully believe they did just that. His decision to play Rio and Vidic in defense was pivotal too as a young team would need an experienced rock to fall back on, they were fantastic today and I think that was one of their best performances as a partnership.

In goal, Foster had a couple of nervy moments but he kept a clean sheet over 120 minutes and needed to be given the opportunity to show his worth. The Da Silva twins were fanastic in the fullback positions especially as they have both been out with injuries, they made good use of the ball and defended excellently. In midfield, Gibson battled well and did very little wrong, had a great shot too, while Anderson had one of his most productive games in a long time which has restored some of my confidence in him. On the right it has to be said Park was poor, his use of the ball was shocking and he did very little to impact the game. Contrast to the other flank where Welbeck showed he has plenty of potential, using the ball well, finding the right passes and moving well to link up with Macheda. Should have had a penalty/goal too. Up front, Tevez had a bad game, made poor use of the ball as has become a regular thing of late, and never looked like scoring. Though he did find some very good positions to recieve the ball. Macheda, who was the stand out player for me, led the line like a man far beyond his age. He played with the agression and desire of a true center forward. He was winning headers, linking up with his team mates, particularly Welbeck, and I think if he'd had more time on the pitch he could have got a goal. He looked like just the kind of player we need to partner Rooney and showed huge potential.

This game has shown many positive things to me. One of which being that when/ if (I'm pretty sure he will) Tevez leaves this summer, we may not need to splash out on a new striker because Macheda really looked the part today, he was not fazed by the occasion and gave a very good defensive partnership some problems. Welbeck looks like able back up too.

While we did lose the game, we should have won it with the penalty that never was. And it is this kind of bold belief in the younger players we have that has allowed us to have such continued success under Alex Ferguson's management. Alot of the youngsters took this opportunity with both hands and showed they are ready to make the step up whenever the boss wants them too.

The future is bright, the future is red
Great post Rich. I think Gibson,Anderson,Rafael,Welbeck and Fabio (while on the pitch) were magnificent. Maybe, Welbeck's decision making was poor, but he was direct and linked up well with Kiko. I was also impressed with Gibson. Tbh, I never rated this guy until the Derby game away in the cup. I can't really understand how glenn whelan starts ahead of him for the republic, but thats another topic of debate.

But overall good performance by the young boys and unlucky.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Very Gutted and wanting the Quintuple, wich was very doubtful from the start tbh. But the young guns gave them a hell of a run for there money! Welkl played. Great commuication between Wellbeck and Macheda! Loving the twins positive attack!

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Alan Hansen was proved right. YOU DONT WIN ANYTHING WITH KIDS!!!!!!!:D

Seriously though. I am so proud. They are a credit to the club. And whats better No other team has players like these coming through.

The future is UNITED

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It wasn't a great football game today, but the one positive we can take out of it is how the younger lads or even fringle players played.. It was a real shame that we didn't win the game in normal time because I believe we had the best chances throughout the 90 minutes.. We were also entitled to a pentalty when Wellbeck was brought down in the box, but that's football..
It would have been a magnificent result today if we were to win because some of the younger lads were given their chance on the big stage and they performed very well.. It would also have being credit to how strong our squad is, the fact Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Carrick and Van Der Sarr were not in volved at all.. But that's the way it goes, it's all about luck in penalties at the end of the day and Everton had that today..
It was great seeing some of our younger players play in Wembley today against a top PL side and not look out of place at all.. There are definately some talented youngsters there that will be pushing for 1st team places next season and that's why this squad is one of the best in Europe.. Anyway I think most people have accepted defeat today and are looking forward to greater success in the remainder of this season.. Positive to take out of todays game is, that the future of United is very bright and talented..!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
There was another extremely positive thing to take out of today's performance. Rio and, especially, Vidic were fabulous. We have been going through an 'iffy' period defensively over the last few weeks - but today:

NORMAL SERVICE HAS RESUMED! :D

Bodes very well for the run in.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the match today was a bit plain, not much excitement, but there are some positives to take from the match, rio is still fit ha, him and vidic will be needed for the run in, the young players proved that they can mix it with fully established premier league players, thought young kiko played good and welbeck too, he's never played lm and it showed, but he made good runs down the line, gibson played very well, hes a player for the future, the only negative thing bout the match was that penalty by berba, just proves again that hes a lazy player.....:whistling:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've never felt so not sad after a defeat . i thought vida was just amazing at the back and its good to get another clean sheet . i didn't watch the first half but from what i saw in the second and et we deserved to win the game . as far as the shootout was concerned we had won the last six and we were always going to lose one eventually .

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
What a fantastic performance. The twins and Welbeck had fantastic games. Macheda didn't look at all out of place(against one of the best defences in the league). Gibson had quite a good game too, especially when he had to be moved out wide near the end to make room for Scholesy.

The young fellas work rate and determination was immense. I don't think i've ever been prouder of supporting a side that got beaten. The future certainly does look bright.

Btw congrats to Everton, hope they stuff the rents boys now.:)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Agree, they did very well under tough circumstances (some starting their first senior game and it being infront of nearly 90k spectators) and gave a good account of themselves.

The depth they offer will be a big plus to the squad in the run in for the season

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Agree, they did very well under tough circumstances (some starting their first senior game and it being infront of nearly 90k spectators) and gave a good account of themselves.

The depth they offer will be a big plus to the squad in the run in for the season
That's for sure. I'm sure the likes of Patrice Evra will realise there is a hugely talented kid trying to take my place. I need to up my performances. Maybe leaving Nani on the bench yesterday to watch that, will give him the boot up the backside he needs. He'll realise he isn't some kind of chosen youngster just because we paid a huge amount of money for him.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts