Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only players worthy of being in our midfield today were Carrick and Ronaldo. There's a serious lack of quality in our midfield now, with obviously Scholes and Giggs good players but their days are very nearly numbered and they can;t play very often.

It should be Nani and Anderson filling that gap but its just not happened for either of them, I lost faith in Nani a long time ago and every time i watch Anderson i lose more faith in him.

Theres a serious lack of creativity in midfield, and as a result nobody is playing the killer balls through and we're not getting chances.

I'd suggest Ribery on the left, he can have a run and play a ball through, in the middle im not so sure. It annoys me we didn't see Fabregas when we got saw Pique, and didn't get Ribery when we got Nani. I'd seriously just cut our losses on Nani in the summer and if we can find somebody good to come in I'd consider it with Anderson today.

The defense however is looking unbelievable, Vidic on top of the world at the moment, Jonny Evans another top performance, he is one of the best centre backs in the league now. John O'Shea came in and was reliably 7 out of 10 as ever which is so important. Gary Neville looking settled back in now as well, Rafael fantastic talent and Rio and Wes coming back, the defense is spot on.

Up front well Berbatov is producing alot now, and Tevez is still good despite being obviously nervous because he knows every time he goes on the pitch he has to be great or the manager might not buy him, so I feel sorry for Tevez, and I would say arguably Rooney is the most important player in the team.

So the midfield needs seriously sorting but the defense and up front are fine. I'd still swap Tevez for Benzema if possible though.

Sorry to have a rant when the spirits are high but we're really struggling to create, but there's a brilliant positive that we're on top of the league now without having come close to top form all season!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I agree with you, the CM positon is a little slack this year, Hargo is quality and will add steel but, Scholes and Anderson have let me down a little this year... but Scholes is pushing on and Anderson is 20 so its hard to call.

Carrick, Hagro and Anderson can be quality, and lets see how Tosic works out.

Top of the league and still in all the cups so its all good for me:)

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VaVaVoom said:
I agree with you, the CM positon is a little slack this year, Hargo is quality and will add steel but, Scholes and Anderson have let me down a little this year... but Scholes is pushing on and Anderson is 20 so its hard to call.

Carrick, Hagro and Anderson can be quality, and lets see how Tosic works out.

Top of the league and still in all the cups so its all good for me:)
Yeah well I'm praying Hargreaves can stay fit when he's back because he is excelent.
But Scholes this year doesn't seem able to move side to side all games across the midfield to control the game, and Anderson is just poor. Hargreaves returning would solve the lack on fight in the midfield but there's still going to be a serious lack of creativity.

And yeh lets see how Tosic does, from what I hear he isn't the sort to play a killer ball through but has a good left foot. If hes decent but not fantastic why not sell Nani and bring someone else who's proven in. Ei Ribery or Silva, but I hope it won't come to that.

If we're going to win Europe regularly though the midfield needs sorting.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Berbatov08 said:
Palacios?
Maybe yeah, I'm not decided about him but he would certainly be good for us, he wouldnt put chances on plates for people but he would certainly add the midfield, in the Paul Ince type of way.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VaVaVoom said:
We are missing a powerhouse midfielder, Palacios would be perfect.
Yeah you are right there, we do need someone like that. Just thinking who would be the one to lose out if he did come? But yes we have been missing a box to box midfielder for a while.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Yeah, timely thread.

There are some who believe Nani will go on to become very good, like Sporting4Ever who has seen more of nani than we have, but I don't think that's a difficult thing to predict seeing as he really, really can only get better :rolleyes:

You're right about the crativity in midfield and that has been our bane this season. Berbatov has managed to fill the gap in that department by dropping deep and spraying passes and flicks, but it's taking away from his striking duties.

I've mentioned that about Fabregas many times. He really would provide is with that creative spark and defence-splitting passes.

We don't have to go crazy, bt Fergie has to concede that Giggs and Scholes are approaching their last playing days.

Today again, it was Giggsy's pass that led to Tevez breaking through the defence.

We need more of those passes and Anderson has been to timid with his passing.

I think we missed an opportunity with van der Vaart.

Wish list
-Ribery
-young.

Alternatively, Diego Capel * Jesus Navas.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Carrick has come on leaps and bounds this season, hargreaves is amazing just injured, fletcher has put in some great performances this season, giggs and scholes are capable of top drawer midfield performances, anderson is one of the most gifted young central players in the world (i think he's been held back a bit by fergie cos of his engine id prefer him playing further up the pitch), park does a great job for us when he plays...

i'd disagree to a degree with you re. central players cos i think we're better place then any1 .. but we do lack another quality winger, we just cant expect nani to change a game, lets hope Tosic is the business!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
we have a lot of midfielders. Carrick Scholes Giggs are the best...Anderson and Nani need experience and that's what they'll gain in time:)...though Nani has been real disapointing:pbut maybe they'll be ok in time.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
sell nani and about 3 others add 30 million and buy xavi --- his performances in last 2 years have been awesome --- shoe in for next years ballon dor if there is any justice

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I know we have plenty of midfielders, but it's about quality not quantity.

I was hoping that Anderson would be pushed forward and was allowed to develop the attacking side of his game but that doesn't look like happening tbh, which is disappointing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We don't need a midfielder only, we need a playmaker !
And Richie is quite right, Anderson sucks and the rest are midfielders but not what we need! They can fight for every ball, defend and etc. but we need some creativity there.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Good post Richie. I pretty much agree with the majority of your assessment,
but I think we should give our midfield a chance to shine. Its been solid over the
last few seasons and its been decent enough this year so far. Fletch has done well,
Scholes still has great games in him, Anderson should maybe be given more time.
There is also Possebon who looks a prospect. We should see it through till
the summer and re-evaluate then. I agree about Carrick and Nani, but you failed
to mention Hargreaves who will be like a new signing when he gets fit.
He is a great player in my eyes and has yet to really get his career going at OT.
His injury was unfortunate to say the least.

We also have the Serbian lads to come in, and who knows how they will do.
Im a big admirer of the 2 possible transfers you mentioned (Benzema and Ribery)
They would add greatly to the team, but we should give our boys a chance first.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nani irritates the living **** out of me every time he plays. I like Anderson though, he doesn't unneccesarily give the ball away every time within 5 seconds of getting it like Nani.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I didn't know Valencia was only 22/23........ Nani's age and light years ahead on decsions and what not!

14m is Valencia's price tag, Nani cost 18m!!!!
Valencia looked good against us, and i watched football first tonight and he had a good game against City too.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jazz 16 said:
Good post Richie. I pretty much agree with the majority of your assessment,
but I think we should give our midfield a chance to shine. Its been solid over the
last few seasons and its been decent enough this year so far. Fletch has done well,
Scholes still has great games in him, Anderson should maybe be given more time.
There is also Possebon who looks a prospect. We should see it through till
the summer and re-evaluate then. I agree about Carrick and Nani, but you failed
to mention Hargreaves who will be like a new signing when he gets fit.
He is a great player in my eyes and has yet to really get his career going at OT.
His injury was unfortunate to say the least.

We also have the Serbian lads to come in, and who knows how they will do.
Im a big admirer of the 2 possible transfers you mentioned (Benzema and Ribery)
They would add greatly to the team, but we should give our boys a chance first.
:) thankyou. yeah maybe you're right to say give them more time, maybe they just need a bit of time to take responsibility in midfield and come out of Scholes's shadow, but they are lacking something.

And the reason I didn't mention Hargreaves is because his future fitness is uncertain, as he could come back from the op and just spend 90% of his career injured, or it could remove his problems and let him shine; so as it was uncertain I decided I couldn;t really include him in the judgement.

And with the Serbian lads they are young and unproven so I don't want to place too much expectancy on them, but hopefully they will be a pair of gems.

I agree with what someone else said, we need a playmaker in midfield, someone who can controll the passes and more importantly, play the killer ball through that will put chances on plates for people, because that's what creates chances.

Maybe I should be giving them more time, but we just look so weak in midfield, although obviously Carrick is very good and Ronaldo is excelent.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The reason we look very weak in midfield i think isnt much about the quality of the players but more to the form of the players. Carrick for once isnt half the player he was for us last season same could be said with Ronaldo. And there's Hargreaves missing with injury, Scholes coming back from one, Anderson not playing more than playing. And the anywhere can play Fletcher. I still think the rotation in midfield didnt help either. When Giggsy can play better than any of them in midfield, surely something is not right. But we all know on good days what our midfielders can do. Has always said that our performance this season as a whole is quite disappointing and unlike last season i haven't yet see us going to the max, maybe against chelsea we came a bit close.

I expect this to change in the second half of the season which can start from now so rather than buying another midfielder, i rather we spend the money for another proper LB *with no offense to Oshea*. :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts