Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Yeah, timely thread.

There are some who believe Nani will go on to become very good, like Sporting4Ever who has seen more of nani than we have, but I don't think that's a difficult thing to predict seeing as he really, really can only get better :rolleyes:

You're right about the crativity in midfield and that has been our bane this season. Berbatov has managed to fill the gap in that department by dropping deep and spraying passes and flicks, but it's taking away from his striking duties.

I've mentioned that about Fabregas many times. He really would provide is with that creative spark and defence-splitting passes.

We don't have to go crazy, bt Fergie has to concede that Giggs and Scholes are approaching their last playing days.

Today again, it was Giggsy's pass that led to Tevez breaking through the defence.

We need more of those passes and Anderson has been to timid with his passing.

I think we missed an opportunity with van der Vaart.

Wish list
-Ribery
-young.

Alternatively, Diego Capel * Jesus Navas.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
sweet fa said:
in my time supporting utd we have mostly had outstanding midfield terriers that the team was built around players like robson ,ince ,keane ,whiteside and scholes{sadly he is no longer the same player} ; all these players could control the centre of the park ,they were very physical and box to box players capeable of scoring goals.
in my opinion the midfielders at the club at the moment are very weak and are causing more problems than they solve , you would have to add 3 of them together to get the equivelent of one of the old boys !
CARRICK- he can make brilliant passe's but he is a very timid type of midfielder who does not score enough goals and not the type who will excell in a battlefield midfield.
ANDERSON-very impressive last season and a box to box player ,but this season he has been dissapointing losing needless possession and has not scored a goal yet.
PARK-tenacious and a live wire but lightweight and has a nasty habit of missing the target after finding great positions .
FLETCHER- is the type of player who excells in stopping opponents and gets into the box and gets the odd goal but he is not creative when in possession of the ball ,not really top class but a useful player.
NANI- a show pony who is forever making wrong decisions never a team player.
SCHOLES ,GIGGS- outstanding players but utds future is not built around these 2.
RONALDO-best player on the planet hasn't been at his best this season but will he be here next year.
HARGREAVES- just the type of midfielder utd wanted but his knees are f****** ?

Hargreaves is the man, but this season we do look a bit lightweight in midfield.

Agree with your assessments abolve.

How about Wilson Palacios?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Mellory said:
Nani's main problem, IMO, is the fact of he wants to be exactly like Ronaldo. He's selfish and always is trying to be the hero of the matches. He loses the tempo of the ball while is thinking how to get through 3,4 players at once. And honestly, I don't appreciate that! He can be a massive player for us, but has a lot to learn.

Anderson, however shows glimpses of what he can be in near future, is only being a okay player. Maybe his lack of goals is concerning himself but I don't think he should feel this pressure to score... He's a great player and has everything to be world class..

We have now Tosic and is a great option on midfield, I'm really excited to see him playing.
- Said that about nani plento of times myself.

He has looked up to ROnaldo too much and copied too much of his style.

Because of his incessant insistence of proving himself and his selfishness, he is costing his team and Fergie has acknowledged this by limiting his playing time.

However, Ronaldo was equally frustrating in his first few seasons. I'm not writing Nani of quite yet, but he nees to do some soul-searching, watch some DVDs of his performance and decide to work for the team.

IF he does that, then maybe next season will be his breakthrough season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
sweet fa said:
i definatly think that palacios would beef us up in the middle of the pitch and if somebody could hold the opponents then players like anderson and carrick could perhaps be more creative around the danger zone .
but at the end of the day we have got about 4 midfielders who can't score and are not creative enough and i think come the summer they should be sent packing and get a couple of tougher players ,palacios would be a tougher type that would be suited to utds pressing attacking play.
tbh, I'd be happy to let Giggs, as well as Scholes retire with dignity and bring in a creative/playmaker type.

We have Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves & Anderson. If hargo recovers well (as I'm praying he does) we have a good midfielder, but just need a creative guy who can unlock defenses and score the odd goal ala Fabregas.

If Hargo does not recover, then Palacios or De Rossi type player would be needed too.

Anderson, has so many skills that he could be an attacking midfielder, but he's not pushing on from last season. He's young and time will tell, but what are we going to do in the mean time?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
Well, part of the problem is that he IS a lot like Ronaldo. He's a winger, fast, short dribles, quick shots at goal, my view of him is that he lacks better crossing skills. If, like you guys say, he's been playing in a midfield position, firther back than he likes, and is used to, it's normal he's not adjusting so well. Add to that the fact that he clearly wants to prove himself, you get the makings of a potential flop. I thin it was too soon for nani to move to OT. It would have been easier, and probably better for both United and Nani to let him stay in Sporting for another year. While Ronaldo arrived at OT with beckan gone, and a space for him in the team, nani had no such space. And when he gets to play, he feels he needs to prove himself, pretty much like all the others, berba, tevez, anderson. I don't think there's room in the 1st team for Nani at the moment, and with that in mind, united need a proper midfielder to add creativity and pace. Problem is, anyone that can get into the 1st team in a short time is already at big clubs, so can you afford to pay, when the market is unbalanced at the moment because of city's antics????

If I had the means, and the possibility, I'd go for Messi ;)
You know, in the summer of '06 I was wishing for two players: Fernando Torres and Nani.

I thought Nani can be better than Ribery - he's only 19, he's fast, he's got great ball skills, he's determined, he can score.....

And I'm glad he came. For all his flaws, he was vital last season. Without his assists or goals, we probably would not have won the EPL last season.

So I am fine with his point of entance to OT.

I think that he maybe thought he had it too easy though. He actually was getting quite a few games last season. More than this season for sure and maybe got complacent.

Maybe he and Anderson are suffering from a sophomore year syndrome, but it's only in his head. Someone needs to tell him that. Just start playing for the team. Then people will talk about nani. if you just play for Nani, he's going to continue frustrating his team mates and himself.

Another thing he needs to do is learn to keep running once he has built up speed. The guy nees a few yeards to get going and so he should stop doing the bloody stupid step-over fakes that don't fool anybody and just keep running.

Messi at United would give me wet dreams and disrupt my happy life with my fiancee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.