Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are we always poor on set pieces? That is exactly what chelsea were doing, they would break, to the wings and the chelsea wingers would allow there attackers and midfield to get in the box ready for the ball coming in. Also when we give away free kicks from 40 yards our defending is shaky when the set piece comes in.

It really gets me down when we have a lead, we let a silly mistake ruin us getting points against the top three teams.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
well, it starts with the goal keeper. van der sar cant catch a cold this season and is lacking in confidence to come out and catch the ball, just as kusczsak did there.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Well Ferdinand thought that by pushing Terry a bit the ball will go outside but Kalou came from behind and s**** happen, anyway 1 point is better than nothing.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but we gave away 2 points and 2 points is a lot from how we played really well by defending and then let in a stupid goal, it was ridiculous, we need t sort out set pieces coming in.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Its nothing to do with Tomasz or Evans. I think people are just trying to find a scapegoat for todays Chelsea goal by blaming them :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is, we can't defend set-pieces well at all. No matter who plays, even if Vidic plays, we always seem to struggle with set-pieces.

Perhaps Tomasz could have come for the ball in that case, and Evans or Ferdinand (there was some confusion over who was marking who) shouldn't have lost their man.

But it seems to be a widespread problem, and whatever we try it doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
manutd004 said:
Its nothing to do with Tomasz or Evans. I think people are just trying to find a scapegoat for todays Chelsea goal by blaming them :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is, we can't defend set-pieces well at all. No matter who plays, even if Vidic plays, we always seem to struggle with set-pieces.

Perhaps Tomasz could have come for the ball in that case, and Evans or Ferdinand (there was some confusion over who was marking who) shouldn't have lost their man.

But it seems to be a widespread problem, and whatever we try it doesn't seem to work.
i totally agree, we play really well by defending our lead in open play, but a lot of teams no we are so vulnerable on set pieces. The majority of our goals that were conceded last season were set pieces.

Im not blaming anyone, but the team need to work hard on this, if we were to improve on set pieces it think we would run away with the league

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
trikam patel said:
i totally agree, we play really well by defending our lead in open play, but a lot of teams no we are so vulnerable on set pieces. The majority of our goals that were conceded last season were set pieces.
And its not like we're a small team.

Yes, we have some small players, but today, we had Evans, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Berbatov, O'Shea and Fletcher on at the time, and usually, we have Brown instead of Neville, and Vidic instead of Evans, and Carrick. All of these players are tall and pretty good in the air, but we seem to defend set-pieces badly.

Saying that though, I can't put my finger on what goes wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I blame O'Shea.IF you watch the goal again, he is constantly looking at the set piece taker and doesn't look behind him . Then he's caught ball watching and marking no one and the ball flies in the back of the net !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Chelsea are probably one of the best set-piece takers in the Premiership to be fair- not to mention one of the most physical and strong. Plus a lot of people are putting the blame on Kuszczack and Evans, who are inexperienced. Maybe with Vidic it might have been a different story but it was a really annoying goal to concede.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Its nothing to do with Tomasz or Evans. I think people are just trying to find a scapegoat for todays Chelsea goal by blaming them
what the **** are you serious? it's nothing to do with tomasz OR evans? oh I'm sorry, it was just a sublime ball in and an unstoppable header. nothing to do with him getting a free header being unmarked and Tomasz not coming for it!?

It was called conference defending (and worse) by the commentators. spot on.

Plus a lot of people are putting the blame on Kuszczack and Evans, who are inexperienced.
Yes they are in-experienced. Evans was shoved into a game of this importance and played well to be fair to him (nothing more than well, stop over-hyping everyone, how poor was anelka?) but you can't help but wonder if Vidic or Brown would have stood still and lost their man like Evans did.

I'm not bashing Evans as a player, just making the point that his inexperience cost us, but you can't blame him for this (inexperience).

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
**** sake do you have a clue what you're talking about? it's nothing to do with tomasz OR evans? oh I'm sorry, it was just a sublime ball in and an unstoppable header. nothing to do with him getting a free header being unmarked and Tomasz not coming for it!?

It was called conference defending (and worse) by the commentators. spot on.
You seriously have an attitude problem.

And the fact is, I was talking about set pieces on the whole. Tomasz and Evans never play, so there is a 0%chance that its there fault we're crap at defending set pieces.

Its a widespread problem at the club if you haven't noticed.

christianoharleiro said:
Yes they are in-experienced. Evans was shoved into a game of this importance and played well to be fair to him (nothing more than well, stop over-hyping everyone, how poor was anelka?) but you can't help but wonder if Vidic or Brown would have stood still and lost their man like Evans did.

I'm not bashing Evans as a player, just making the point that his inexperience cost us, but you can't blame him for this (inexperience).
What a load of crap you speak.

Ever since you found out there was a slight chance of Evans playing today, you've been bashing him.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
ts nothing to do with Tomasz or Evans. I think people are just trying to find a scapegoat for todays Chelsea goal by blaming them
And the fact is, I was talking about set pieces on the whole. Tomasz and Evans never play, so there is a 0%chance that its there fault we're crap at defending set pieces.
good work.

Why would I bash Evans? for what reason!? I've said so many times he has played well today. But typically you get the fans who think hes the next ****ing worlds best defender, when really it was just a good performance, nothing more, up against Anelka who was awful.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
I agree, we're crap at defending set pieces in general.

BUT YOU MENTIONED THE CHELSEA GOAL AND EVANS AND KUSCSZAK.

Evans/Kuszcak were at fault for this goal, end of story.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
I agree, we're crap at defending set pieces in general.

BUT YOU MENTIONED THE CHELSEA GOAL AND EVANS AND KUSCSZAK.

Evans/Kuszcak were at fault for this goal, end of story.
The fact is, there was some confusion over who was even marking Kalou. Not even Andy Gray knew who was marking him.

And the fact of the matter is, you've continually slated Evans and Tomasz. What about Rooney, who shouldn't have even given away the free-kick in the first place? Or is he not one of the players you like to continually bash?

And O'Shea, as, like someone said, he was ball-watching?

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
manutd004 go look at the matchday thread for man utd vs chelsea and see how much I slated Rooney at half time. NOW THAT is slating, go find me some posts where I've SLATED Evans. Saying Evans is inexperienced and its not his fault he's young and inexperienced is not slating him.

I've also said it was sort of his fault for the goal, but again I'm not angry at him, it was due to his inexperience.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
manutd004 go look at the matchday thread for man utd vs chelsea and see how much I slated Rooney at half time. NOW THAT is slating, go find me some posts where I've SLATED Evans. Saying Evans is inexperienced and its not his fault he's young and inexperienced is not slating him.

I've also said it was sort of his fault for the goal, but again I'm not angry at him, it was due to his inexperience.
Well, everything I've read about you with Evans you have always had to have a pop at him in some form.

But lets just leave it, because we're not getting anywhere and its basically a waste of time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts