Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We really need a clinical finisher more than ever before, Tevez Rooney and Berbatov all miss many easy chances and are not reliable goalscorers. Plus they all come deep and are hardly ever in the penalty box to poach goals. I don't think anyone in there right mind can justify us spending 30 million on Tevez, we could probably get Benzema or Villa for that price for heavens sake. Kia Joorabchian is taking the mickey by asking for that amount of money, we got them out of a massive hole by taking on Tevez and this is how they thank us. Real Madrid have just bought Huntelaar so they will not buy Tevez, good luck to Kia Joorabchian on finding another club who will pay 30 million for Tevez.

I think it would be ideal to sign Michael Owen in January, his contract is up at the end of the season so he would be available for around 3 million. He is not cup tied for the Champions League so surely he would be exactly what we need and would not be a gamble at that price. I don't think there are many alternatives because most quality strikers are cup tied in January, if we were to wait until the end of the season then I would reccomend Pavel Pogrebnyak from Zenit St Petersburg, he is an incredible target man.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
l like the idea of signing owen, but where does he fit in? will he be happy to play the super sub role , realistically how much game time will he get, he still has international aspirations and capello wont pick him if he is subbing at O.T.

if tevez is signed permanently how could we possibly keep 4 world class strikers happy, yes we have done it before but i cant see it being the same this time round.

we need berbatov to be more selfish and hang around the box and stop falling so deep, altough he could be accused of being lazy then.
were fine as we are for the time being but if owen was willing to be a bench boy then id be happy to have him.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
thekeanefella said:
l like the idea of signing owen, but where does he fit in? will he be happy to play the super sub role , realistically how much game time will he get, he still has international aspirations and capello wont pick him if he is subbing at O.T.
I think you're right, but at the same time I think he realizes how full of ***** Capello is, for instance: Owen wasn't picked, because "he plays on and captains a team with low morale and a negative attitude" meanwhile, David Beckham gets picked (over Young), while he was captaining the worst team in the MLS. Owen just wants his career back on track, and here is probably the best place to do it.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
ill play for nothing and wont cost a penny if that helps :p but sure what player can u get today without spending 10 mill on the money in football is crazy!

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
thekeanefella said:

if tevez is signed permanently how could we possibly keep 4 world class strikers happy, yes we have done it before but i cant see it being the same this time round.

we need berbatov to be more selfish and hang around the box and stop falling so deep, altough he could be accused of being lazy then.
were fine as we are for the time being but if owen was willing to be a bench boy then id be happy to have him.

People keep saying we have done it before but look at the facts ole gunner was always on the bench anyway hence the term super sub . Sheringham was clocking on anyway , dwight and andy cole were just so gratefull to be at united they were happy to go with anything . Compare that to the strikers now none are pleased to miss a single match , it seems fergie has relised teves takes it better than the other two and opts for him .

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Owen would be a very good super sub type of player for us. I Actually think aswell that because he wouldnt be playin 90 minutes week in week out it would help stop him getting injuries as the strain on his body wouldn't be so high.

An alternative is Vedad Ibisevic from Hoffenheim. 18 goals in 16 games in the bundesliga, unproven apart from this season though, but he looks a class act to me.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Forget Owen people its never ever going to happen his injury record makes saha look like a reliable player . Add to that he is a ex liverpool player it will never happen.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
Ade Akinbyi anyone ? guranteed goal getter
quailty player :p how do clubs still manage to buy him :eek: almost as bad as the fella shouthampton bought who siad he was i think a mali international when he was from london :D brought him on and all :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
On the topic of Tevez and Benzema i feel obliged to mention that both of them were in the same position tonight to score a goal when both of them rounded the goal keeper for Tevez to miss but benzema scored. However Tevez's first goal was brilliantly taken.

Not sure how clinical striker we need but the million dollar question still lingers "Where do we play them".

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, I wouldn't really mind Owen if we could get him for a reasonable amount.

I think, if he came here, he could possibly regain most of his top form and hopefully be the goalscorer we need. He also may not demand as many games as the others. I think it would be a risky signing but for a reasonable amount would be well worth the risk.

However, I think it will be better giving Manucho a good chance in the team to let him show us what he can do. He could well be the striker we're looking for, and may end up saving us some money.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
If we really need to bring in a striker I think we should bring in an experienced player, a la henrik larsson, but I still think that we need to keep tevez in the team.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
why does everybody think that we need an other goalscorer. its not like we have a shortage of goals. we already have 3 classy strikers and another 3 coming up the ranks. berba has been playing deep so that he can adapt to our style much quicker. trust me in the second half of the season we will see him play as a frontman. in tevez rooney,berba and ronaldo we have four players who can score 20+ goals. we do not need another striker

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Ummmm...since you wouldn't answer in the other thread, I will ask here...what winger is going to get a new striker the ball?

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Huntelaar would have been a great addition but real snatched him. Apart from Huntelaar I would like to see Benzema in the red shirt

1 - 20 of 46 Posts