Manchester United Talk banner

We still need an out and out striker

670 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Jay007 
#1 ·
Surely I am not the only one that thinks we are still lacking the player that we were so desperate for in the summer. Berbatov seems to be a taller version of Tevez and Rooney minus the work rate, he is a lovely talented player but he is not a clinical finisher at all. I am mystified as to why Berbatov is playing deep as the link player, we already have Tevez and Rooney who can do that so what was the point in spending 30 million on another player to come deep and link attacks.

We need a Huntelaar or an Owen, someone to play on the shoulder of the last defender and make runs behind the defence, someone who can poach cheap goals. Berbatov Rooney Tevez all drop deep and play in front of the opposition defence so we are always having to look for pinpoint precise passes and score the perfect goal. Rooney on many occasions this season is playing as the furthest forward player leading the line which is really annoying because I thought the whole point in signing a big striker (Berbatov) was so that Rooney could play deep in his natural position.

Again this season we are relying on Ronaldo to get us out of trouble and save our skin in most matches but he is only human and can't keep on doing it again and again. How can we justify spending another 20 million plus on Tevez when we already have Berbatov and Rooney who drop deep and perform that role just as well if not better than Tevez. Surely we should be looking to sign someone like Huntelaar, people today criticise players who are only in the team to poach goals but how easily they forget how Van Nistelrooy carried us for so many seasons and stopped us from falling into mediocrity. We could even take Owen on the cheap in January as he is not cup tied and could give us a different dimension, Owen is still scoring goals despite playing in a lousy team. I don't really think Owen is the solution but we still need a player in that mould.

See less See more
#3 ·
At last people are seeing through the Berba Hype !!

Banana-rama said:
Surely I am not the only one that thinks we are still lacking the player that we were so desperate for in the summer. Berbatov seems to be a taller version of Tevez and Rooney minus the work rate, he is a lovely talented player but he is not a clinical finisher at all. I am mystified as to why Berbatov is playing deep as the link player, we already have Tevez and Rooney who can do that so what was the point in spending 30 million on another player to come deep and link attacks.

We need a Huntelaar or an Owen, someone to play on the shoulder of the last defender and make runs behind the defence, someone who can poach cheap goals. Berbatov Rooney Tevez all drop deep and play in front of the opposition defence so we are always having to look for pinpoint precise passes and score the perfect goal. Rooney on many occasions this season is playing as the furthest forward player leading the line which is really annoying because I thought the whole point in signing a big striker (Berbatov) was so that Rooney could play deep in his natural position.

Again this season we are relying on Ronaldo to get us out of trouble and save our skin in most matches but he is only human and can't keep on doing it again and again. How can we justify spending another 20 million plus on Tevez when we already have Berbatov and Rooney who drop deep and perform that role just as well if not better than Tevez. Surely we should be looking to sign someone like Huntelaar, people today criticise players who are only in the team to poach goals but how easily they forget how Van Nistelrooy carried us for so many seasons and stopped us from falling into mediocrity. We could even take Owen on the cheap in January as he is not cup tied and could give us a different dimension, Owen is still scoring goals despite playing in a lousy team. I don't really think Owen is the solution but we still need a player in that mould.

#4 ·
I am really surprised there are now fans clamouring for a clinical finisher after a long protracted and most absorbing pre-season debate, found in both the Huntelaar vs Berbatov thread and the Huntelaar thread.

The Huntelaar camp argued until they were blue in the face over this missing vital link that might have complemented the work rate of Rooney and Tevez perfectly, and diminish the over-dependence on Ronaldo for goals.

But the Berbatov camp also argued until they were blue in the face on style, class, inspiration and... goals (too).

Substance over style or style over substance?

Well, to be fair, the jury is still out as we are not even one third into the season.

Besides, since Berbatov is ALREADY a United player, I would prefer to wait upon him to justify his purchase. Despite him not really meeting the high expectations and anticipations in the summer before his arrival, his current statistics are still almost as good as Ronaldo's in terms of goals and assists (see sticky thread on goals and assists this season). So I reckon the entire team has been below par and has not really been firing on all cylinders.

Afterall, if I am still waiting upon Nani to break through, I shall exercise a little more patience with Berbatov. :p

But watching intently with great interest/concern.

But to be honest, at this moment thus far, I still have some doubts if Berbatov was indeed the better option for us, despite some initial promise.

We will definitely have more to talk about it at the end of the season.

#5 ·
Banana-rama said:

Good post. Whether it's Berba or Hunta what we DO need is someone just to simply stick the darn thing in the back of the net at those crucial moments. I actually think Tevez has been very unlucky because right now my money would be on him to finish a chance clinically over the others. We do need someone who is just greedy and focussed on scoring and getting in the 6 yard box at crucial points in attacks. A lineker or solsjkaer?

The more we get into this season the more I wonder if the whole thing is geared towards another CL push because Berba is the ideal man for those kind of games where guile and trickery are needed. In the league we look like one crucial jigsaw piece short of a full set.

#6 ·
To rub salt into wound, just saw the highlights of Saha's late brace against the Hammers that sealed the victory for Everton. Both are tremendous goals from outside the box too. Good for him.

Point is, we don't have an outright striker at our disposal in matches who can consistently stick the ball into the net after some wonderful works around the box. . Wellbeck and Manucho are apparently deemed not ready for EPL or quite understandably unable to dislodge Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov. So we now apparently have 3 supportive strikers for matches if Berbatov "is not a finisher or predator".

Some may argue that what worked last year should work (again) this year. Well, let me gently remind yet again that Ronaldo's extraordinary exploits largely made up for the forward department's less-than-desirable output last season. Unless he scores another jaw-dropping 42 goals again (more unlikely than likely), our strikers will be found wanting this season. Like currently?

IF things don't improve dramatically in coming days and matches, we would be in real danger of a barren season. Not being negative or panicking but just being calm and practical. Still, we would be wise to continue putting our faith and trust in Fergie and the players, and hope for that dramatic improvement by the turn of the year.

IF NOT, bet this thread would come alive again with much fury admist another round of mass debate in the summer.

#9 ·
This season especially, is really starting to make me regret Saha's injury problems even more. He would have been the perfect player for us and the way we play.

But this is one of the reasons I didn't want Berbatov. I didn't think he was the striker we needed, instead preferring an out-an-out striker. However, saying that, I will give him time. But he certainly needs to start improving imho.

But another way to look at things is that you can't blame our bad form on just the lack of an out-and-out striker, if indeed that is the problem. After all, our defence this season has been very poor, and that certainly doesn't help either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.