Manchester United Talk banner

Welbeck Earns England Call

1K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  spwaff 
#1 ·
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6626448

Reds striker Danny Welbeck is making the step up to England's Under-21s squad for the forthcoming friendly with Ecuador in Malaga next Tuesday.

The 18-year-old has burst onto the first-team scene at Old Trafford this season after previously impressing in United's Reserves and Academy sides.

Since making his senior Reds bow against Middlesbrough in the Carling Cup back in September, the Longsight-born forward has gone on to make five starts and two substitute appearances.

He's scored twice in that time - a spectacular strike against Stoke City on his Premier League debut in November, and another well-taken goal against Southampton in the FA Cup.

He's previously done well for England at schoolboy, U16 and U19 levels, and now England U21s boss Stuart Pearce wants to take a closer look at what Welbeck can do.

"We're having a look at Danny, who has done well in the U19s and broken into the team at Old Trafford, which is no mean feat."

In the 22-man squad, Pearce's entire forward line is of Old Trafford origin. Welbeck is joined by Fraizer Campbell, who's on loan at Tottenham Hotspur, and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, now with Wolverhampton Wanderers. Another Red, Tom Heaton, on loan at Cardiff City, is likely to be first-choice goalkeeper.

The squad are now in preparation for this summer's UEFA European U21 Championships in Sweden, and Danny will hope to play a prominent part when England take on Finland, Spain and Germany in the group stage of the competition.
What do you think? Is Welbeck ready for England or even for England's first team?
Or he should play more matches before he joins England?

#8 ·
step by step,match by match and he is getting better and better and now I can say that one day he'll be great player and very important for English squad......and now we can talk is about he ready or not...does he wanned to play for Ghana.....I say-just give him a space and he'll be the right

#11 ·
What the hell. Of course he is ready. Him and Sturridge need to be paired up front for England imo.

Also, to anyone here doubting him. Show me evidence that he isnt good enough to play for England U21. If hes taking over from Matt Derbyshire and Leroy Lita I can only see improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.