Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was never there, either the old or new Wembley. But what do you think about the new or was the old Wembley better? To be honest, it seems that the old Wembley had a better atmosphere, or not? Discuss! :)

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
old wembley had the history and the iconic towers but it was a rubbish ground for actually watching in .

It had lots of areas with restricted views and seating too far from pitch .

i have not been to new wembley but it looks miles better

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
old wembley all the way. had a great atmosphere and the feeling of a real old school football stadium. with all the new stadiums being built it was nice to play the finals in a classic i think. should have improved it a bit not just knock the bitch down and build again.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
the old wembley...tradition etc but the seats were miles away......my abiding memory of the old wembley.......leaving the ground after a cup final and walking down there stairs out...which was a river of p**s. nice :)

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Had the pleasure of going to both the old and the new one the new one looks amazing as you approach it but the old one was amazing wembley way was a amazing sight.

When I went though it was very scruffy and getting old. One thing that did stick out in my mind though was that it looked bigger on TV .

The gap between the back of the goal and the stand which was a large sanded area looked huge on TV but when you were there it wasnt big at all.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Old Wembley the ucl 68 :)
also have many other good memories and nice matches

New Wembley : Muse's gig FANTASTIC :D

the new one looks nicer but the older one means more

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
The new Wembely lacks atmosphere, similar to most modern stadiums.

I always prefer the old ones.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
i've been to each on one occasion.
the old wembley i went to the charity shield the year after the treble. we lost 2-1 to arsenal and i remember it well. i was about 7 but i remember standing in front of the ground in a united shirt and utd shorts with my cousin. it was a great day for us but gutted about the result. the atmosphere, if i remember, was pretty good. you could tell the place was shrouded in history.
i went to the england isreal game last year and while the stadium is fantastic, it doesnt have the same sense of history. also, as the carling cup final shows, it's massively overpriced.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Tbh, I only went to the old Wembley once and that was for a guided tour so I couldn't really judge the atmosphere!

I've been to the new one a few times to watch England friendlies and an NFL game. The atmosphere at the NFL game was better than for the football because the support was split half & half and the announcer riles up the crowd throughout the game. The roar when the New York Giants scored a TD was incredible. During the football the only time the home support all joined in was for the Mexican waves! I'd love to go and watch an important competitive England game at Wembley though - I think the atmosphere would be great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts