Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARSENE WENGER was staring into an Arsenal abyss last night after Alex Hleb revealed he is the latest star to quit the club.

Hleb, 27, will buy out the final two years of his contract for £3million and join Inter Milan in the summer.

He follows Mathieu Flamini who snubbed a new Gunners deal to sign for AC Milan on a free.

Boss Wenger also faces a fight to keep Cesc Fabregas after Real Madrid confirmed this week the Spanish star is their No 1 target.

Hleb's agent, Nikolai Shpilevski, revealed the Belarus midfielder gave Wenger the news face- to-face yesterday.

Shpilevski said: “Alex is preparing to make one of the most important moves of his life.

“He is leaving even though Arsenal want to offer him a new long-term contract.

“Only time will tell if it is the right decision but there's no way back now. Everything will be settled in the next two weeks.â€

Wenger is furious Inter publicly announced they wanted Hleb — who cost Gunners £10m three years ago — and could report the Italians to FIFA.

Link

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
jeese the Gooners have had a rough last few months, blowing the league,
the cups, the Champions League, losing Flamini, losing Hleb, Gallas being a
whiny (expletive deleted). :)
Its great to see our rivals crumbling around us :D

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jazz 16 said:
jeese the Gooners have had a rough last few months, blowing the league,
the cups, the Champions League, losing Flamini, losing Hleb, Gallas being a
whiny (expletive deleted). :)
Its great to see our rivals crumbling around us :D

Another ingredient added to the arsenal crumble pie :D

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I guess I'm the only United fan who isn't happy about this.

Before United I am a fan of football first and foremost and the last thing I like to see

is less competition in the Premier League. The gulf is wide enough as it is. Can

anybody truly see any teams beside Man United and Chelsea capable of mounting a

challenge? That irritates me no end as frankly people have no right to call the

Premiership the best league in the world.

A truly brilliant world beating league should have phenomenal depth like the Serie A of the 80's & 90's.

Even know you look at Serie A games where Atalanta beat Inter & then Milan are

beaten by Fiorentina. You can't gamble on Serie A because it is that unpredictable

and every team has the quality to spring a surprise. In England you have Derby

County & Bolton where you know the result before they even play.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dlan4327 said:

Before United I am a fan of football first and foremost and the last thing I like to see

is less competition in the Premier League. The gulf is wide enough as it is. Can

A truly brilliant world beating league should have phenomenal depth like the Serie A of the 80's & 90's.

beaten by Fiorentina. You can't gamble on Serie A because it is that unpredictable

Your not alone, i understand your point & your right, somehow i dont really think it will affect arsenal's performances for next season, after all life went on for them after the departure of vierra & henry, he has a good youth system set up plus he bring's in unknown player's & make's them in to good player's as seen plenty times before :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Guess Wenger have to take a big step out of his stingyness... He haven't really got any big names to Arsenal for the past few seasons... This lads that wants to move on wants to acheive something but not without someone who they can look upon to...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
dlan4327 said:

- Agreed!
I would hate to see the premier league become weaker, but footballers leave and get replaced all the time. In Flamini and Alex Hleb we see two players who had good seasons, but had previously struggled, leaving while they can.

They were vital components, but I'm sure Wenger will find a kid on the streets of Uzbekistan or Timbaktu and turn him into world beaters.

I'm wondering how important Tottenham's signing of Luka Modric could turn out to be. You know, a few good signings under Ramos' leadership and you could be look at a team that could break into the top 4. Now they might not challenge for the title next season, but I would say they;ll ut up a good fight.

Finally, let's not forget that it's Arsenal and I still remember how their players berated RVN and the team, so I hope their bubble bursts.

S

·
0 Posts
dlan4327 said:

Good to see another football supporter, or should that be a supporter of football.
I agree with everything you have said there.
I for one get no enjoyment out of seeing the likes of Henry, Hleb, Vierra
and dozens of other class players leaving clubs to go abroad.
I want to see their class, i want to see their skills, i want to see
how they perform against the class/skillfull players that we have.
The premiership is fast becoming a joke in the world of football.
Of course i want United to win everything possible, thats why i'm a United supporter.
But i also want other teams to give us a fight.
At the moment there is only Chelski that are even half close
to having the players we have.
At one time there were 7 or 8 teams that were up there.
Then it went to the BIG FOUR, then it went to the BIG THREE,
now it's down to the BIG ONE and a HALF.

How exciting will it be when it's just the BIG ONE ?
When all the other world class players have gone.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Agent - Hleb leaving Gunners

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3540826,00.html
Alexander Hleb's agent claims the player will leave Arsenal this summer.

He told Belarusian paper Pressball: "Alexander is preparing to make the most important moves of his life.

No way back
"He is leaving Arsenal even though they want to offer him a new long-term contract and better conditions. Only time will tell if leaving is the right decision, but there's no way back now. Everything will be cleared up in the next two weeks."

Wenger revealed earlier this week that he was keen to keep Hleb at the club and he could face a fight in the summer to persuade him to stay in North London.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with the general disappointment at this, what makes a great champion is context. Why do you think people will look back more favourably at United's title win last year than say Inter's Serie A titles won while Milan and Juventus were doing their penance?

What makes it a great achievement to win a title is the fact that you havent beaten the best and that the teams you have beaten are worthy of contending for a title. It saddens me to see Arsenal losing guys like that and the fact that they have basically made nothing on the deals financially will be a huge blow, especially considering they have admitted they havent as much money to spend as was generally believed.

At the end of the day, we are a better footballing side than them, it just feels much sweeter beating a really strong Arsenal side 2-1 than walking all over a weak one (a la FA Cup 4-0). Hopefully Wenger will pull something together and get them going again in the right direction. Not too far in that direction though... :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
there is nothing sweeter than beating a strong arsenal side (exception of the bin dippers)just love the way they moan and whinge .
i am hoping a few more teams step up to the mark and make life interesting at the top , it would be nice to see about 4 or 5 teams going for the league , everyone beating each other and united coming through to win it

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
How exciting will it be when it's just the BIG ONE ?
When all the other world class players have gone.
On the flip side, the demise of one of the big 4 could be exactly what the Premiership needs. If one of Everton, Villa, Spurs, City, Pompey etc can snatch 4th place next season and make it into the Champions League then the revenue they generate from that could help them compete even better the following season.

I don't know how realistic it is but there's already been rumours of Spurs trying to sign Eto'o, City going for Ronaldinho and Dos Santos etc. There's some very ambitious clubs in the Premiership.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dynamite said:
Another ingredient added to the arsenal crumble pie :D
Haha!!

I almost feel sorry for them.............

HAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!! thats what ya get Wenger, who will want to join your team now, who will want to stay and watch united lift trophy after trophy !!!

FINISHED!!!

reddwarf said:
On the flip side, the demise of one of the big 4 could be exactly what the Premiership needs. If one of Everton, Villa, Spurs, City, Pompey etc can snatch 4th place next season and make it into the Champions League then the revenue they generate from that could help them compete even better the following season.

I don't know how realistic it is but there's already been rumours of Spurs trying to sign Eto'o, City going for Ronaldinho and Dos Santos etc. There's some very ambitious clubs in the Premiership.
It would be great for the league if one of the big four (not us obviously) was taken down a peg or two! serves arsene right for not standing by his senior players and tossing them aside, who wants to stay at a club which you know will leave you to rot!!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
They have a good amount of money to spend, so Arsene will probably have plenty of unknown future stars ready to be bought and turned into world class players.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
This is what you get when you build your entire squad out of foreigners

Have to say the likes of Ian Wright, Tony Adams and Lee Dixon wouldnt have jumped ship so easy

Glad to see its bit him in the ass

·
Registered
523 Posts
Wenger On Hleb: Buy-Out Not So Easy

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has played down the reports that Alexander Hleb is definitely heading out of North London for Northern Italy this summer. He also explained that he could have Hleb banned for months if he attempted a buy-out.

Alexander Hleb, 27, is bound for Internazional in Milan according to the Belarus midfielder's agent, who has been quoted as saying that Hleb had turned down the offer of a lucrative new contract with the Gunners in favour of the chance to join Serie A champions-elect Inter at the end of the season.

It has also been reported that Hleb will buy himself out of the remaining two years of his Arsenal contract in order to make the move to Milano.

However, Arsenal boss Wenger has refuted the claims that his midfield playmaker is definitely following fellow midfielder Mathieu Flamini to Italy.

Asked if there were any developments concerning Hleb, Wenger told Arsenal TV: "Frankly, no.

"You cannot stop people talking but at the moment there is nothing [to add].

"I believe that usually all the players want to stay and I expect this team to say 'let's make a pact together, come back next year and win'.

"That's what I expect them to do and my priority is to keep the team together, add what I think can help us to be even better, and then see from there."

Flamini? He Was Free

Wenger has also denied claims that the Arsenal board could have done more to keep AC Milan-bound Flamini, who was out-of-contract, at the Emirates.

Flamini chose to join the Rossoneri on a free transfer earlier this week, after rejecting Arsenal's offer of a new contract.

"Yes. I believe that even Mathieu would concede that [Arsenal had done everything they could to persuade him to stay]," added Wenger.

"We put him in the bracket of where we could go and we made him that offer, but unfortunately it wasn't enough.

"We have to accept that because Mathieu was a good servant of the club for four years and he came without costing any transfer fee and left without any transfer fee. He was free to go."

Buy-Out? Not So Easy

"It's not as easy at is looks, the so-called Webster clause," continued Wenger, taking a harder stance, and making it clear that Hleb would not be allowed to get away with this so easily.

“You can't come in the next day and buy it out. You have to go to FIFA, to tribunal and it can take a lot of months where the player can be banned for the whole period.

“I am confident of keeping Hleb. Nobody goes. It's that simple. It's about what is good for the club.â€

Hleb's agent has been quoted as saying that there is no way back, and that the situation will be resolved in two weeks. Not if Arsene has his say, it seems.

Warning For Inter

He also had a warning for Inter, who would be the beneficiaries of all this: 'You should not forget what clubs do to us we can do to them as well."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts