Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wes Brown made his United debut ten years ago this week, and a decade on the Longsight-born defender is enjoying his best football. Now for the trophies to cap it all off…

For me, this season, it's been amazing to be playing. I've not been injured and I've been getting games under my belt and getting used to playing week in, week out. It has been great to play so many matches and I think I've done OK.

It was only really because Gaz [Gary Neville] got injured that I've been a regular this season, but playing every game helps you improve and gives you more confidence – I've definitely discovered that this season.

The back line this year is one of the most solid defences I've been part of. As a back five we've played a lot of games together and when you do that you form an understanding, not just between yourselves, but with the midfield lads as well. Individually we've done well, and as a group we've helped each other and that's shown in our results.

There's a great set of the lads in the dressing room and the boys that have come in have settled in well on and off the pitch, and brought a lot of quality to the team.

Cristiano [Ronaldo] has been unbelievable – without a shadow of a doubt he's the best player in the world at the moment. He's taken his game to a different level and I'm sure he'll get more goals this season. I'm just glad he's on our side!

Even for his team-mates, it's exciting to watch him when he gets on the ball because you know there's a chance something's going to happen, whether it's him setting up a goal or scoring one. He's capable of producing something out of nothing.

It's now ten years since I made my United debut against Leeds in the league on 4 May 1998, and I don't know where the time's gone!

I've had great times here in terms of winning trophies and playing in big games, but I've also had bad times with injuries. I've been lucky enough to win a lot of medals and hopefully that will continue this season and beyond.

The 1998/99 season seems like such a long time ago, too. It was my first main season in the first team and it was amazing to be a part of such an achievement.

If we could achieve something like that again during my time here, it would just be unbelievable...

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
He's done very well this season. He's still prone to the odd lapse and he looks like a little boy lost at International level but he's moved from useful squad member to vital part of the defence this season.

It'll be interesting to see if we bring any defenders in this summer. If it's a right-back then Brown may have to revert to his central defensive position, which could see his chances limited if Rio and Vidic stay fit.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Wes has certainly played his part this season and at the end of last season also.
He has been great this season and showed all his doubters that he could
cut it at the top. Im thrilled he signed his new contract.
Very good defender to have in our team/squad.

·
Banned
503 Posts
He has started to develop more within this season, i was a doubter of him a while ago, so i guess i will strike that/reverse it, hat's off to wes for his 10 year's service to the club

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
i wonder how on earth has he managed to stick around that much - something like roy carroll tbh :p
well done wes !

you fooled almost everyone but not me :p

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
He's been a terrific player covering for Neville.

I think he's been one of the success stories in the Prem this season.

Fantastic attitude and a great player to have in the squad!

·
Registered
7 Posts
im delighted wes has gotten the chance to play so much this season,
who would have thought that come the end of the season wes brown would be the man to have made the most appearances for us.
hes been quality this season and im delighted he finally signed a new contract!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
done a good job for us and put in solid perfomances in RB this season....he certainly is a good player but not a fan yet......liked him against barca 2nd leg though.....hope he gets more games and change my opinion of him soon...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
get yourself out of this thread please. No anti-Wes heads allowed on here :p

*takes a deep breath in aticipation of making his "Gary Neville is an Aston Martin and Wes Brown is a Fiat Uno" speech, but then sees Jazzy's post and beats a hasty retreat*

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i am amazed wes has lasted 10 years if im honest ,every time i watch him my hearts in my mouth because he makes loads of mistakes.
but on a positive note wes did perform a vital role last season which he should be given credit for and he is a handy squad player for utd to have ,but he is never a first team regular in a million years and utd must improve this position in the summer if they want to achieve their targets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts