Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have been united fans for 50 years some of you for 5 months so let me give you a tale from a 42 year old and then you can put my posts into some perspective .

I began my love affair in the early seventies when my ol fella was recruiting seargeant at stockport recruiting office and we lived in milner street . my brother supported utd my sisters city . my aunt tessie told me i better support united as georgie best was a god even if he splashed me and my mum in his yellow e-type in chorlton . we were relegated soon after and i moved south to northampton . my first taste of success was the stokes offside goal in 76 that robbed the fa cup from us . then came 77 and the treble stopping win over liverpool --- macari and greenhof i love you . agony in 79 against arse and joy eventually against brighton . normans stoater against everton in 85 bought huge joy after a season when i thought we would win title at last . oh dont miss cup winners cup tone !!! . 1990 cup saved fergie . then the night of nights when villa --- yes the team we drew today with handed us the first title in 26 years . me and my now dead best man smiffy went on the bender to end all benders . every utd fan that lived through all the liverpool everton villa forest jibes growing up was out and hugging . the bear (my local) had an enforced lock in and i rolled home and promptly vomited all over our hall carpet . i was high for weeks . double followed then untill 99 nothing came close . 99 was as good as it will ever get . nothing will ever take me as high again as and solskjaars won it . i could have gone for 800 quid and turned chance down ---- family holiday won over :eek: i did a cartwheel and me and my cousin partied till dawn . last year was lovely but did not even come close to 92/3 feeling . when i see the guff posted today over a 0-0 away to villa it riles me something proper after what ive been through as a utd fan . novel over

Z

·
0 Posts
I know what you mean Haggs, it just gets frustrating when the team underperforms and we all know they're capable of so much more. I'm probably half your age so I haven't ever experienced any really hard times as a United fan. We've been succesful pretty much the whole time I was growing up. At the start of the 93 season I'd have just turned 8 years old. It doesn't make us any less of a fan though just because we haven't been there and seen what you've seen. I'm usually a pretty positive kind of poster on here and try to see the up side rather than slag the team off, but if I think the team are deserving of some criticism I will duely hand it out as I did today. I'm not one of the Rooney/Ronaldo is sh*t/a joke/ brigade. I just find it annoying at times when we see sloppy passing from the likes of Carrick, poor finishing from Rooney, bad decision making from Ronaldo because I know what they can produce when they're in the mood. I know every player will have their bad days but when they coincide with eachother today you can forgive some of us for airing our frustrations.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blade said:
I know what you mean Haggs, it just gets frustrating when the team underperforms and we all know they're capable of so much more. I'm probably half your age so I haven't ever experienced any really hard times as a United fan. We've been succesful pretty much the whole time I was growing up. At the start of the 93 season I'd have just turned 8 years old. It doesn't make us any less of a fan though just because we haven't been there and seen what you've seen. I'm usually a pretty positive kind of poster on here and try to see the up side rather than slag the team off, but if I think the team are deserving of some criticism I will duely hand it out as I did today. I'm not one of the Rooney/Ronaldo is sh*t/a joke/ brigade. I just find it annoying at times when we see sloppy passing from the likes of Carrick, poor finishing from Rooney, bad decision making from Ronaldo because I know what they can produce when they're in the mood. I know every player will have their bad days but when they coincide with eachother today you can forgive some of us for airing our frustrations.
i am not trying to claim any high ground through years in - just explaining why im not so reactionary . i do not think by dint of being a fan for more years makes anyone a better fan because that makes a 70 year old with n love a better fan than me . its just when you have gone through so much poor fodder todays result does not register so badly

S

·
0 Posts
Great post there hags, one i can certainly identify with.

Not even going to read most of todays posts because i can
guess what most of them are like.

Relegation from the old 1st division was one of the lowest points
in my whole life.

Up there among the top for me has got to be promotion from
the old 2nd division in 75, that was a mad celebration that lasted
the whole summer through and into the next season.

Hearing " Hello...hello..United are back, United are back helloo" echo
round OT and every ground we went to made the hairs on your neck stand
on end.

Manchester United 4 Blackpool 0, last match of the season 75, THIS is joy.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=87hxWQIuYx4&NR=1

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Good post Hagz, in the last 15 years we have been spoiled by the amazing success of the team.

10 years ago winning 'only' the FA Cup was called a great season, these days its "we have to win the League or CL for us to be satisfied".

In fairness though I think we are entitled to think that way because we all realise how good our team is, so to say we should be winning a major trophy every season isn't a bad thing IMO.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheManc said:
Good post Hagz, in the last 15 years we have been spoiled by the amazing success of the team.

10 years ago winning 'only' the FA Cup was called a great season, these days its "we have to win the League or CL for us to be satisfied".

In fairness though I think we are entitled to think that way because we all realise how good our team is, so to say we should be winning a major trophy every season isn't a bad thing IMO.
well hello there mr moderator !!!!

well deserved may i say . its lovely to be in the position where an fa cup loss is ho hum . seems terrible to be wishing for failure so i can enjoy sucess more :eek: but thats what it does to you . i almost envy the liverpool fan for the joy they will feel when they finally lift the prem .

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Class post Haggs. As profound as it was enjoyable. You and Sal remind me of the reason I support this club: My old coach, from Bury, who turned my entire team into die-hard United supporters. More than anything I wish I could have been alive in the time of the "old" guard.

I suppose I can take solace in the fact, that I'm not a glory-hunter like a few folks on this forum. I didn't choose this club; the stars aligned and it chose me. Champions of England and Europe or playing in League 1 alongside the Leeds scum, forever at United I will be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Class post matey...i have supported United all my days and they are the only thing i know... for the new United supporters....we dont have the right to win...SING your heart out for the lads in your bedroom, or anywhere and keep UNITED in your heart. (I am studying in the states now, if anyone is in Tampa, FL let me know...PLZ) (Born in Manchester)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
haggs i have just posted a similar thread along your type of thoughts and i never saw your thread , it is so clear to us older loyal followers that something is missing from this utd team ,we simply don't excite like we did in the 90's and i find many of our games {over last 3 seasons} a little boring.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
sweet fa said:
haggs i have just posted a similar thread along your type of thoughts and i never saw your thread , it is so clear to us older loyal followers that something is missing from this utd team ,we simply don't excite like we did in the 90's and i find many of our games {over last 3 seasons} a little boring.
Sorry but that is a ridiculous statement. Over the last 3 years we have won
2 League's and a European Cup and you have found it 'boring'? :rolleyes:
I find that very strange to say the least. We have been playing the best
stuff in England (bar maybe Arse) for the last couple of years and it doesnt excite
you?:confused:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
haggler said:
Some of you have been united fans for 50 years some of you for 5 months so let me give you a tale from a 42 year old and then you can put my posts into some perspective .

I began my love affair in the early seventies when my ol fella was recruiting seargeant at stockport recruiting office and we lived in milner street . my brother supported utd my sisters city . my aunt tessie told me i better support united as georgie best was a god even if he splashed me and my mum in his yellow e-type in chorlton . we were relegated soon after and i moved south to northampton . my first taste of success was the stokes offside goal in 76 that robbed the fa cup from us . then came 77 and the treble stopping win over liverpool --- macari and greenhof i love you . agony in 79 against arse and joy eventually against brighton . normans stoater against everton in 85 bought huge joy after a season when i thought we would win title at last . oh dont miss cup winners cup tone !!! . 1990 cup saved fergie . then the night of nights when villa --- yes the team we drew today with handed us the first title in 26 years . me and my now dead best man smiffy went on the bender to end all benders . every utd fan that lived through all the liverpool everton villa forest jibes growing up was out and hugging . the bear (my local) had an enforced lock in and i rolled home and promptly vomited all over our hall carpet . i was high for weeks . double followed then untill 99 nothing came close . 99 was as good as it will ever get . nothing will ever take me as high again as and solskjaars won it . i could have gone for 800 quid and turned chance down ---- family holiday won over :eek: i did a cartwheel and me and my cousin partied till dawn . last year was lovely but did not even come close to 92/3 feeling . when i see the guff posted today over a 0-0 away to villa it riles me something proper after what ive been through as a utd fan . novel over
Spot on mate my sentiments entirely , i am "slightly" older than you and can relate to your post entirely.
92/93 was the best year all those years of pain put to rest,i never thought i would ever see united win the league again.
I can remember standing at old trafford on freezing night for a midweek game against bristol city in jan or feb sometime , we were 16th in the league out of the fa cup out of the league cup and wondering what the hell are we doing here.
To put it into perspective my kids have only known one manager and success all the way, so i guess they are spoilt.
Also just like you said this does not give us the moral high ground , it doent matter how long you have supported united.
The successs usually goes in cycles and we are due to have five or six barren years coming soon.
I made the post before the start of the season we have no divine right to win the league every year , so stop expecting it and enjoy ronaldo , rooney and the football we play because by and large it is excitng , i have waited years to revel in our present glory

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
sweet fa said:
In 06/07 we played the best football the Premiership has ever seen, from any club IMO.

Last year we also played attractive football, though not nearly as attractive as the year before.

Every game last year and this year is very important and the adrenaline is pumping for 90 minutes because you know the importance of the 3 points, I can't see how our matches are boring.

Though I do agree that this season we haven't played particulalry attractive football.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
TheManc said:
In 06/07 we played the best football the Premiership has ever seen, from any club IMO.

Last year we also played attractive football, though not nearly as attractive as the year before.

Every game last year and this year is very important and the adrenaline is pumping for 90 minutes because you know the importance of the 3 points, I can't see how our matches are boring.

Though I do agree that this season we haven't played particulalry attractive football.

are you serious in o6/07 we played the best football the premiership has seen:confused:
you have obviously never seen utd play from the 90's to make that stupid statement .i am proud of utds achievments over the last 2 seasons but the brilliant counter attacking football that utd produced for so many years is vanishing , only ronaldo and occasionly rooney gets people jumping these days.
and your dead right every game is very important but somebody needs to tell the players that , i have defended utd for over 30 years "to my mates mostly scouse fans has it goes" and with my old man but when they tell me utd have performed poorly in certain games over the last few years i have got to agree and its happening far more frequently these days.
i love exciting freeflowing football and utd were the masters of this game ,we all love winning but surely entertainment should come first especially with the money involved and i honestly believe we're under performing .this seasons performance's have been terrible we must all agree on that .

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
utd in 93/4 with giggs down one flank and kanchelskis the other eric pulling the strings was for me the most exciting i have witnessed - that side was poetry in motion . anyone else remember what dave sexton did to us ? lets hope when fergie goes we dont get another one of him:eek:

busby docherty atkinson and fergie all tried to play in the utd style . remember coppell and hill barnstorming us to edge of seats in seventies ? . i reckon come mid december when ronaldo is fully match fit berbatov fully settled and rooney back on song we will entertain again as we always have

Z

·
0 Posts
I don't really know what you're on about here Sweet FA. Last season and the season before that we played brilliant football consistently through both seasons. This season we've struggled, but there are reasons for that. Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes and Hargreaves have all mised large parts of our season so far. In Hargreaves' case he'll miss all of it. Any team will be far less effective when it's missing that many quality players from the midfield so I don't see what you're getting at at all.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stephen said:
The 4-5-1 team of 2005 played the best football ever. :) :D
breathtaking stuff reminiscent of when butch the crab wilkins was in his pomp:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts