21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Sorry but that is a ridiculous statement. Over the last 3 years we have won
2 League's and a European Cup and you have found it 'boring'? :rolleyes:
I find that very strange to say the least. We have been playing the best
stuff in England (bar maybe Arse) for the last couple of years and it doesnt excite
you?:confused:

i know we won the titles and i am so proud of the team and i have suported utd for 30 odd years .
but don't tell me we are the best entertainers arsenal are mostly superb to watch with their freeflowing football , chelsea are also more pleasing on the eye than this current utd team and this covers a 5 season span ?
perhaps i was over doing it with my statement but up until about 5 years ago we were the great entertainers and in the mid 90's we were the dreamteam , what has happened to our stylish play without ronaldo and rooney we are pretty average .
we used to score 3 or more goals on a regular basis ,these players now score a goal or 2 and then stop attacking this has not happened overnight it has become mindset from the previous seasons .our opponents have now realised to keep pushing us and we simply fold and thats how we are 8 points behind in the league and its becoming boring to watch ,watching the stoke game was a pleasure and surely thats the way to go instead of trying to hold a slender lead.

G

·
sweet fa said:
i know we won the titles and i am so proud of the team and i have suported utd for 30 odd years .
but don't tell me we are the best entertainers arsenal are mostly superb to watch with their freeflowing football , chelsea are also more pleasing on the eye than this current utd team and this covers a 5 season span ?
perhaps i was over doing it with my statement but up until about 5 years ago we were the great entertainers and in the mid 90's we were the dreamteam , what has happened to our stylish play without ronaldo and rooney we are pretty average .
we used to score 3 or more goals on a regular basis ,these players now score a goal or 2 and then stop attacking this has not happened overnight it has become mindset from the previous seasons .our opponents have now realised to keep pushing us and we simply fold and thats how we are 8 points behind in the league and its becoming boring to watch ,watching the stoke game was a pleasure and surely thats the way to go instead of trying to hold a slender lead.
You're taking the p*ss with that statement surely? :confused:

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
I think Chelsea are one of the most boringist teams in the league. They've been better this season, but nowhere near the level of style of United and Arsenal.
They are in the same league as Bolton and Middlesbro', just miles better ability wise.

United over the past two seasons have been simply breathtaking. Some of our play last season was unbelievable.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
Stephen said:
I think Chelsea are one of the most boringist teams in the league. They've been better this season, but nowhere near the level of style of United and Arsenal.
They are in the same league as Bolton and Middlesbro', just miles better ability wise.

United over the past two seasons have been simply breathtaking. Some of our play last season was unbelievable
Just like the perfromances against

Roma 7-1
Newcastle 5-1
NewCastle 6-0
Aston Villa 4-0
Aston Villa 4-1
Boro 4-1

Attack Attack Attack

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
sweet fa said:
I just cant agree with you again here Sweetfa. To say Chelsea have been more entertaining
than us over the last 5 years is baffling :eek: :confused: I simply cannot comprehend
that, cos its not true. I find them awful to watch with their 4-5-1. Sure they
can turn on the style sometimes, but with their players you should expect that.
We have played by FAR the better stuff over the last few years.
How did we win all the trophies then? Even if we sacrificed some 'style and panache'
in order to grind out some results along the way, then who gives a rats a$$? cos we won ffs.

There was a lot of criticism here with some of the performances in Europe last
season and none of them were justified in the end.

I know you have supported United a long time and like to reminisce about the
good times in the 90's and thats fair enough, but it was a different era then, when
we barely even had a challenge from one season to the next.
I remember it well too, even for years before we even won the Prem so its not just the 'oldies' eh ;)

Sure the likes of Giggs, Eric, Kan, Sparky etc were in their pomp then but we have
some new guys to support now. Criticism is fair enough if it is constructive
but saying we are 'boring' etc...is just plain wrong.

We need to support our team and enjoy the players while they are still here.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I just cant agree with again here Sweetfa. To say Chelsea have been more entertaining
than us over the last 5 years is baffling :eek: :confused: I simply cannot comprehend
that, cos its not true. I find them awful to watch with their 4-5-1. Sure they
can turn on the style sometimes, but with their players you should expect that.
We have played by FAR the better stuff over the last few years.
How did we win all the trophies then? Even if we sacrificed some 'style and panache'
in order to grind out some results along the way, then who gives a rats a$$? cos we won ffs.

There was a lot of criticism here with some of the performances in Europe last
season and none of them were justified in the end.

I know you have supported United a long time and like to reminisce about the
good times in the 90's and thats fair enough, but it was a different era then, when
we barely even had a challenge from one season to the next.
I remember it well too, even for years before we even won the Prem so its not just the 'oldies' eh ;)

Sure the likes of Giggs, Eric, Kan, Sparky etc were in their pomp then but we have
some new guys to support now. Criticism is fair enough if it is constructive
but saying we are 'boring' etc...is just plain wrong.

We need to support our team and enjoy the players while they are still here.
Agreed with all that,100% spot on about Chelski too,they are one the worst teams to watch,wonder how many 1-0's they had in there title winning seasons,but again it wins things.We seem to dip in form on the field,against the lesser strength of Stoke,we looked fantastic,then against a team with more pace and pressure like villa,we looked poopiedoo.....Its unfair for peeps to compare Eras/Players as times change as do the pace/style of the Premiership,and the other teams are improving year after year so there are no longer the 'garuntees' to beat.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
lets all support bury !!!!!!

black pudding on tap and all the bovril you can drink in with price of ticket

and loose ladies in curlers and hairnets at your beck and call !!!

lets do a forum raid and all sign up on the bury boys fan site !!!!!

oh alright then lets not

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
sweet fa said:
are you serious in o6/07 we played the best football the premiership has seen:confused:
you have obviously never seen utd play from the 90's to make that stupid statement .i am proud of utds achievments over the last 2 seasons but the brilliant counter attacking football that utd produced for so many years is vanishing , only ronaldo and occasionly rooney gets people jumping these days.
and your dead right every game is very important but somebody needs to tell the players that , i have defended utd for over 30 years "to my mates mostly scouse fans has it goes" and with my old man but when they tell me utd have performed poorly in certain games over the last few years i have got to agree and its happening far more frequently these days.
i love exciting freeflowing football and utd were the masters of this game ,we all love winning but surely entertainment should come first especially with the money involved and i honestly believe we're under performing .this seasons performance's have been terrible we must all agree on that .
We've had many teams that play attractive football (94/99/03/07) but purely from a passing stand point I think 06/07 was the best.

It depends what type of style you like. I prefer the 1 touch quicke passing where the ball gets zipped around the place i.e 06/07.

In the early/mid 90's we played a very counterattacking style while also using the wings to great effect with the pace and trickery of Giggs and Kanchelskis. That was a joy to watch, as was the team of the late 90's early 00's where we had pretty much the complete attac kwith pace, passing ability, heading ability you name it.

But In 06/07 we blitzed everyone who we played and IMO we would have won the treble that year had it not been for injuries and fatigue.

We had Ronaldo playing absolutely immense - much better than he has over the last 18 months performace wise. Giggs really had is last hurrah as far as being a winger was concerned, Saha played out of his skin, Scholes came back and had arguably his greatest ever season, Rooney well, albeit his finishing was rediculously poor, Neville had his best ever season and Evra was starting to show his skills down the left.

Excitement and attractive football are two different things for me. The team of the late 90's was the most exciting IMO as you knew we always scored late on, while 06/07 was the most attractive. 94 was inbetween those two in terms of style IMO.

I appreciate a lot of people will see it differently, but thats just my opinion. 06/07 was also a joy as it was totally refreshing after Chelsea's previous dominance.

·
23,699 Posts
haggler said:
Some of you have been united fans for 50 years some of you for 5 months so let me give you a tale from a 42 year old and then you can put my posts into some perspective .

I began my love affair in the early seventies when my ol fella was recruiting seargeant at stockport recruiting office and we lived in milner street . my brother supported utd my sisters city . my aunt tessie told me i better support united as georgie best was a god even if he splashed me and my mum in his yellow e-type in chorlton . we were relegated soon after and i moved south to northampton . my first taste of success was the stokes offside goal in 76 that robbed the fa cup from us . then came 77 and the treble stopping win over liverpool --- macari and greenhof i love you . agony in 79 against arse and joy eventually against brighton . normans stoater against everton in 85 bought huge joy after a season when i thought we would win title at last . oh dont miss cup winners cup tone !!! . 1990 cup saved fergie . then the night of nights when villa --- yes the team we drew today with handed us the first title in 26 years . me and my now dead best man smiffy went on the bender to end all benders . every utd fan that lived through all the liverpool everton villa forest jibes growing up was out and hugging . the bear (my local) had an enforced lock in and i rolled home and promptly vomited all over our hall carpet . i was high for weeks . double followed then untill 99 nothing came close . 99 was as good as it will ever get . nothing will ever take me as high again as and solskjaars won it . i could have gone for 800 quid and turned chance down ---- family holiday won over :eek: i did a cartwheel and me and my cousin partied till dawn . last year was lovely but did not even come close to 92/3 feeling . when i see the guff posted today over a 0-0 away to villa it riles me something proper after what ive been through as a utd fan . novel over
I am younger than you but will not disclose by how much. ;)

I, too, hail from the Dark Age when Liverpool were truly invincible and clearly dominant, sweeping aside everything in their path, week in week out, and you can almost sensed an air of resignation amongst other fans so used to living in their shadows though nobody wanted to acknowledge such depressing fact openly. But I dreamt of glory days too and kept up the faith that one day, some day, somehow or rather, we will be at the pinnacle. A FA Cup Final appearance then was a big event and achievement already, never mind about winning it.

Fast forward to the 90s.

Fergie arrived at the helm... the Fergie's Fledgings... Cantona... dominant finally... I do understand what you mean about the ecstasy when we finally landed the League title after all those years.

But I still feel the same from those days and now. I still believe we will win our next game whoever we play against (like I tell my friends, don't ask me who will win in a United game because my answer is always the same). I am still emotional during a game, cursing and swearing at the misses and 'bad' refereeing. I still feel the same anguish when we have an undesirable result or worse, dropped points when we should have won to either extend the lead or to close the gap. Nothing seems to have cooled or changed for me all these years despite the dark tunnel we were in and now the glory we have.

And with participation in this forum, it is also an excellent outlet to let go some steam and to 'concur' with fellow United fans from all over the globe. I believe there is nothing so 'bad' about some rantings or constructive criticisms, a healthy reaction to the disappointment of a game gone wrong for our beloved club. In any case, I don't recall any member still ranting about the loss to Arsenal; everybody moves on (eventually) and looks forward to the next game, to the next season.

To sidetrack slightly but nonetheless not entirely unrelated, I read some disturbing comments by some elder members about moaning members as glory hunters (because they have been spoilt from our successes, have not been through the Dark Age and do not appreciate what we have) and how they do not mind us even get relegated to separate the glory hunters from the 'true' fans. :rolleyes:

And I fully understand that no team remains invincible for eternity just like the once mighty Liverpool. Who could have imagined they would be deprived of the League title for almost two decades (and still counting) back then?

But to tell you the truth, I am NOT willing to let go or go easy on our current success as long as we could help it and certainly not for any petty reason to compromise the glory and interests of Manchester United Football Club. Why should we? Is it really better to go back to the Dark Age?! To what profit to go one full circle?! To prove what?!

I believe all true football fans should be insatiable about their club's successes and hence passionate about the outcomes. In football, winning is always fun; success is always good. Why go easy or stay cool? Look at Fergie after all these years. Still the same hunger, still the same passion and still the same desires.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
for most of the premier league years we have finished top scorers with the meanest defence as well if that is not entertainment mixed in with the winning formula then what is.
as for chelsea being more pleasing to the eye , no way chelsea are a bit route one with drogba and have less imagination breaking down stubborn defences , they are bigger and more physical than united , our football is based on fast counter attacks

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
as has been said no one wants the train to hit the buffers and for us to do a liverpool . the most important decision other than bringing fergie in will be how we handle his departure ----- wilf and franks need not apply we cannot afford to let the past repeat and go on a quarter century barren spell again . maybe the boss will hand over to his boy who is doing well at peterboro ?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
To sweet fa , you listen to the media too much about arsenal and their "free flowing football" it is a myth they pass it around and have no end product whatsoever.
United over the last 15 years have played by far and away the best football , even when the arse won the league they were not as entertaining as us and neither were chelsea who are truly boring

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.