Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Champions League final: No big screens for Manchester and Moscow:mad:

The Champions League Final between Manchester United and Chelsea will not be shown on big screens in either Manchester or Moscow.
More than 100,000 supporters poured into Manchester as Glasgow Rangers played Zenit St Petersburg last night. Thousands of ticketless fans watched the game on three big screens around the city centre but violence erupted when a screen in Piccadilly Gardens failed just before kick-off.

Trouble: riot police were called into action in Manchester last night
Manchester City Council had considered erecting screens to show the Manchester United v Chelsea match in Moscow next Wednesday but no firm plans had been made, but those proposals have now been ditched.

Sir Richard Leese, Leader of Manchester City Council, said he did not want to cause disruption to the city centre's 20,000 residents and more than 100,000 workers and visitors.

He said: "We are sorry to disappoint Manchester United fans but it is obvious that because of the impact on residents, businesses and city centre users, there can be no big screen showing of the Champions League final.

"I think after what happened last night it wouldn't be acceptable to them to a week later have big screens in the city centre. I know it's going to be disappointing but it's the only reasonable thing we and the police can do."

advertisement
Sir Richard said the violence would not stop Manchester from holding major sporting events again.

Meanwhile, the Russian government today confirmed there would be no public screenings of the final in Moscow and urged fans to behave "respectfully" in the city next week.

its just a joke, Manchester united fans are been told NOT TO TRAVEL IF THEY HAVE NO TICKET, so what was going on then last night, why erent the rangers fans told that. Why was the screen planned for them anyway.
fans were even told not to travel to Wigan.

Manchester is our town and the champions are on the way to Moscow (MANCHESTER united). so why arent they making a fuss and highlighting the fantastic achievement of our home team.

does anyone else agree??:mad: :confused:

·
Registered
675 Posts
totally agree !

but it was bound to happen. bunch of scots get to drunk and cause trouble and spoil it for the rest of manchester. its a disgrace !

it wud be great if thousands went into town anyway and caused trouble just to spite them. but that wudnt be reasonable.

looks like were in the pubs again lads. :(

Z

·
0 Posts
I've just watched this news on Granada reports. The guy
in charge was defending the Scots and said the City was
fully prepared and it was only a handful of fans that caused
trouble, but then said we wouldn't be having big screens for
fears of more violence. You can't have it both ways :confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is an absoloute farce. Somebody at the council should be held responsible for the screens not working. It was an accident, but one which shouldnt have happened. The police should not have been so heavy handed, there is video footage on BBC's website of blatant Police brutality. Had the screen not failed, there would have been no problems in the city. What sort of contingency plan is moving 10,000-20,000 people over 2 miles to the velodrome, from Picadilly. Yeh, exactly, not a good one.

Why should this spoil our night? Absoloute jokers that council.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I am sure if Glasgow Council were approached, they would lay on buses, planes, trains and screens. Er, ok, maybe not but Manchester should.

·
Banned
503 Posts
solskjaer99 said:
:mad: Champions League final: No big screens for Manchester and Moscow:mad:

its just a joke, Manchester united fans are been told NOT TO TRAVEL IF THEY HAVE NO TICKET, so what was going on then last night, why erent the rangers fans told that. Why was the screen planned for them anyway.
fans were even told not to travel to Wigan.

Manchester is our town and the champions are on the way to Moscow (MANCHESTER united). so why arent they making a fuss and highlighting the fantastic achievement of our home team.

does anyone else agree??:mad: :confused:
I can understand you being gutted, But dont get to disheartened about it, More to life than watching football especially on a big screen & also regarding ranger's fan's they were told not to travel to manchester without a ticket but the government was powerless to stop them & beside's none of them would of payed attention to the pleas of dont come without a ticket anyway

However thanks to the small minority of thug's not real football fan's have spoiled it now for eveybody in england as this now could affect future event's being held in england, The world cup 2018 bid could be one of the sporting events affected?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I agree completely.

But please don't refer to them as Scots. Refer to them as Rangers fans.

Most Scots are well behaved. Its just mostly Rangers fans who let my country down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Petition for big screen in Mancester for the final

There has been a petition following the news that manchester council will no longer be putting up big screens for the final next week because of the riots by rangers fans last night!Everyone please sign it even if your not watching the game in manchester! Please help out your fellow fans. The champions league final is one of the most important games of our lives as united fans.

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/19309.html

And hello, my first post :)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Andershow said:
There has been a petition following the news that manchester council will no longer be putting up big screens for the final next week because of the riots by rangers fans last night!Everyone please sign it even if your not watching the game in manchester! Please help out your fellow fans. The champions league final is one of the most important games of our lives as united fans.

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/19309.html

And hello, my first post :)
I live in Scotland but would be delighted to sign it.

Its not fair, and because of the disgraceful behaviour of the Rangers fans, the United fans miss out.

Oh, and Welcome to The Board!

·
Registered
45 Posts
wot a joke it was a recipe for madness from the day rangers got to the final
hot weather 100000 boozed up jocks in a place they dnt no and a screen that dnt work..then wot you goin to get..TROUBLE...
just say they did put screens up for you boys well i am sure you wouldnt get 100000 there thats no disrespect for you boys but i think at the max about 25000 as most will be watching at home in your local pubs in manchester etc..plus if i screen failed to work well you wouldnt be stranded there as you would no other places to go..this is not a dig at utd fans or really rangers fans but a dig at manchester council in a whole...as the couldnt organise a pxxx up in a brewery...
i for one was hoping that screens would be put up for next week so i could go down and soak up the atmosphere yes i am a city fan but i wanted to enjoy the crack with you boys and support you...any way rant over and good luck next week where ever you watchin it as i for one and you might be surprised to here this will be supporting you boys next week..
from a city fan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks whoever but my post in this thread I didnt see it, yeah its ridiculous that Rangers fans can influence the decision on the people of Manchester.

S

·
0 Posts
Andershow said:
Thanks whoever but my post in this thread I didnt see it, yeah its ridiculous that Rangers fans can influence the decision on the people of Manchester.

No thanks needed. ;)
Easier if its all on one thread anyway. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think you can blame Manchester Council for the screen going faulty. These things happen. The only people to blame for the trouble are the mindless minority of Rangers fans who started throwing bottles at the screen. They also attacked the workmen who were trying to fix it........morons! There's no excuse for that sort of behaviour.

It's a shame it came to this, I'm sure the vast majority of Rangers fans had nothing to do with the trouble. Unfortunately, all clubs have a mindless minority that follow them. We've had our fair share in the past. United fans have been responsible for wrecking town centres before and all fans end up being tarred with the same brush.

Hopefully, the council will see sense and erect the screen for the Champions League Final. I very much doubt it though.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
it was supposed to have been about 30 fans out of over 100000 . i dont think rangers fans are a disgrace i just feel a few had too much beer and were understandably miffed at spending large wad and then screen packing up . any town centre friday saturday night has more punch ups its just police were mob handed . this said police should be well manned and anyone stepping out of line should be punished . just seems that city was unprepared for the numbers involved

Z

·
0 Posts
haggler said:
it was supposed to have been about 30 fans out of over 100000 . i dont think rangers fans are a disgrace i just feel a few had too much beer and were understandably miffed at spending large wad and then screen packing up . any town centre friday saturday night has more punch ups its just police were mob handed . this said police should be well manned and anyone stepping out of line should be punished . just seems that city was unprepared for the numbers involved
Go and read this thread Hagglesorth and learn what twaddle you are speaking :p

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/football-banter/11033-rangers-fans.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
What makes people think that it was the Scottish fans - just cause one had a Rangers top on doesn't mean they're Scottish. When I saw some of the Chelsea V Liverpool game to see who we'd get in the final, I noticed that, in the Chelsea end, there was a large number there wearing a Rangers top. My brother-in-law, who lives in London, says that Chelsea casuals wear Rangers tops when they want to cause an aggro/fight since they cannae stand the Scots. Did they cause some of the riots in Manchester on Wednesday :confused: - along with members of the ICF and other casual firms across Britain. My mum speaks with a Scottish Accent - is she Scottish? NO, my mother is ENGLISH - she was born in Birkenhead in Merseyside. So even going by accents doesn't tell you what a person's nationality is.

Lets face it, none of us know for absolute certainty that
all the Rangers fans that were involved in the riots were indeed Scottish. They come from all over the world and it is unfair to condemn Scottish people for it alone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CHEZM said:
What makes people think that it was the Scottish fans - just cause one had a Rangers top on doesn't mean they're Scottish. When I saw some of the Chelsea V Liverpool game to see who we'd get in the final, I noticed that, in the Chelsea end, there was a large number there wearing a Rangers top. My brother-in-law, who lives in London, says that Chelsea casuals wear Rangers tops when they want to cause an aggro/fight since they cannae stand the Scots. Did they cause some of the riots in Manchester on Wednesday :confused: - along with members of the ICF and other casual firms across Britain. My mum speaks with a Scottish Accent - is she Scottish? NO, my mother is ENGLISH - she was born in Birkenhead in Merseyside. So even going by accents doesn't tell you what a person's nationality is.

all the Rangers fans that were involved in the riots were indeed Scottish. They come from all over the world and it is unfair to condemn Scottish people for it alone.

as many of us are doing we are referring to them as RANGERS FANS.
whatever there accent or where they are from, the RANGERS FANS in manchester caused a riot and a mess. spoiling it for the home team and there big night in moscow next week. meaning the fans left back in there HOME TOWN, supporting there HOME TEAM cannot watch the big game in style or there town.
as far as i know there are not many Manchester United fans who support Rangers.
so for anybody who wants to watch football, stay in your own town and watch it.
unless u have a ticket.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
CHEZM said:

I watched that 'mob' of halfwits chase that policeman
and when he tripped they all jumped on him and were
kicking him ... about 20 Rangers shirts I could see !!!

On the news today they have new footage ...
a policeman gets left behind as the police withdraw ...
the 'mob' of halfwits all surround him and you can
clearly see them swinging punches into his face,
kicking him !!!

Let's hope his children dont see this ...
And that both these guys are OK.

What is this nonsense that "they may not have
been Scottish.......blah, blah, blah"

There were at least 100 of these 'fans' chasing
each of these policemen ... of these 200 'fans'
I think it is not beyond the realms of possibility
that at least 180 of them were Scottish ...
or even 150 ...
it's irrelevant really ...
Rangers fans were responsible and they were
representing Scotland so live with it !!

Don't start saying - "Ahh yes but ....."

I don't really give a rats ass about these half wit
low life idiots !!!

I DO worry about those policemen, their wives and
their children and the effect all this could have had
on the rest of their lives. All they were doing was
their job, ensuring everyone is safe, making sure
everyone gets the help they need and providing a
service which ... if it was not provided ... would
make this country a hell hole !!!

Those who talk the garbage here about where these
fans are from or whether Scotland is to blame need
to wise up !!

Spare a thought for the 'real' victims here - the policemen and their familes !!!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
OMG are they serious? So when we are hosts we do the best for the other clubs and provide them with so much things like the large screen but when its our own team playing we get nothing?? Okay it doesn't affect me but that just sounds disgraceful...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts