Manchester United Talk banner

What Did England Lack MOST During Their Euro 2008 Campaign ?

• Patrotism

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Motivation

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Skill

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Leadership

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Financing

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Something else (explain)

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was asked by Richards Reds to make a thread like this......

So I ask the question......

What did England lack most during their qualification campaign for Euro 2008...

Make comments of course - the more the better.....

But keep the silly arguing out of this one - there's already 3 threads full of 'we're better than you' and blah, blah, blah.....

Let's stick to the subject here - well as close as possible :p

I don't blame the players.....

The manager.....

Or any of the staff who travelled all round Europe for these games.

England need to look up......

All the way up to the top of the tree......

To Lancaster Gate and the idiots who run the whole show.

Get rid of the whole lot of them.....

And get people in with vision and ambition......

Then and only then will England win anything !!

·
Registered
406 Posts
1) Togetherness : When you look at teams like Italy or France, you could see how close they are together. Where with England, its like a few sets of egos clashing together. Everyone looks to shine himself rather than play for the team. Team work is non existent at times.

2) Tactical awarness : This is the players fault as much as its the managers. The players have been playing under very good managers for most of their careers, how can they not bring that into the international team ? Its a myth that Gerrard and Lampard cant play together. Two players that play at top clubs under good managers should know how to adapt and adjust playing with anyone. The midfield looks lost most of the time.

3) Motivation : If you ask most of the players in the squad, they'd rather play for their clubs rather than for England. They lack that desire to bleed for the national team, like most south american teams do. I dont fault their desire and commitment, I just feel that theres something extra that should be given for your country.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
A decent Head Coach is the obvious answer but in terms of the players I believe it's our passing and movement that's a major problem.

For a long long long time we have been getting out passed by supposedly inferior opposition. England's inability to hold onto the ball even when not under pressure is astounding for a team with so many good players.

Playing long balls up to Crouch obviously doesn't help but too often short passes go astray or are intercepted. We also have players like Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham who have a great range of passing but too often they choose the 'Hollywood ball' instead of keeping it simple. The pass from Gerrard to Beckham with 4 minutes to go against Croatia was a classic example - instead of playing it to Beckham's feet he tried to bend it around the defender for Beckham to run on to and it ran out of play.

If you don't have the ball you can't score and if you're defending a result and you can't hold onto the ball then you are continuously under pressure.

That's why Arsene Wenger would be the ideal England manager - his teams passing and movement is exceptional - but he'll never take the job.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Thank you Carly!

Would he be great though. Its a very long time to build a team to play like Arsenal do. He wouldn't have that time with England. Club managers are not always great international managers.

I think we lack most of the points you can vote for. Most of all patriotism. The line out during the national anthem and body language says it all. In the interviews they don't seem very animated. Its crazy.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Would he be great though. Its a very long time to build a team to play like Arsenal do. He wouldn't have that time with England.
In that case, should the Centre of Excellence be built, perhaps we should ask Wenger to coach England players from a young age so that by the time they get called up for England it's 2nd nature for them to play like that.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
a good coach...a better tactic...if you want to qualify to Euro...you don;t play only with 1 striker...and other errors...

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
they lacked a decent guideance and a bit fortune with injuries... sure , england are not excactly a world beaters, but they are a good team who could have made use of their solid crop of players had they been guided the right way... Macclaren was outsmarted in every important match. simple as

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
Macclaren was outsmarted in every important match. simple as
I was at Old Trafford when we beat Andorra 5-0 (Wembley wasn't open yet).

The fans were singing 'Can we play you every week?'

We weren't joking! :(

McClaren had the shortest tenure of any full-time England manager in history, the worst start by any England manager in history, the worst run of games without scoring a goal by any England manager in history, the most defeats in a qualifying campaign by any England manager in history and he lost to Germany at Wembley.

He was the worst England manager in history. :mad:

Yes, even worse than Graham 'The Turnip' Taylor. :eek:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Keano's fan hit the nail on the head......"Togetherness".....

They are all world class players in their own right and based on their performances for their clubs but when they come together they just can't perform or come anywhere near to fulfilling their potential.....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's all to do with leadership, alot of the problems mentioned elsewhere result from bad leadership. Players like gerrard etc are going to play every game even if they play badly. This doesn't happen if a good manager is in charge they play players that play tgether and look at form. Attitude and ego if a play knows he isn't going to be dropped he will not play his best, if he knows other players can take his spot he has something to play for, thats why i don't think money is an issue. These player play well for the clubs that pay them alot more than the fa does and that doesn't stop them playing well.
In terms of skill i think england have some players that have the same skill level as any players in the world but they are not played in the right way, joe cole is an excellent player and always tries his best, why doesn't he start in the centre instead of gerrard and lampard.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
reddwarf said:
A decent Head Coach is the obvious answer but in terms of the players I believe it's our passing and movement that's a major problem.

For a long long long time we have been getting out passed by supposedly inferior opposition. England's inability to hold onto the ball even when not under pressure is astounding for a team with so many good players.

Playing long balls up to Crouch obviously doesn't help but too often short passes go astray or are intercepted. We also have players like Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham who have a great range of passing but too often they choose the 'Hollywood ball' instead of keeping it simple. The pass from Gerrard to Beckham with 4 minutes to go against Croatia was a classic example - instead of playing it to Beckham's feet he tried to bend it around the defender for Beckham to run on to and it ran out of play.

If you don't have the ball you can't score and if you're defending a result and you can't hold onto the ball then you are continuously under pressure.

That's why Arsene Wenger would be the ideal England manager - his teams passing and movement is exceptional - but he'll never take the job.
top post!

i agree 100%

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
simply put,they never had a sense of team chemistry.Gerrard and Lampard play similar playmakers for their respective clubs,so they basically cancelled each other out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts