Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Christmas period is over seems like five minutes ago we were dancing around Old Trafford waving our flags for our Double glory .

What do we expect from United in 2009

They key questions being

What do you think we will win ?

What players will push for a first team spot and which will be pushed down the pecking order ?

Will the old guard be still pushing for first team places come the 2009 -2008 season ?

And will fergie hang up his managers coat if he wins the league and Champions league double again ?

Give your view on all things 2009 what is your opinion on whats going to happen to our wonderfull club ?

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
What do we expect from United in 2009

They key questions being

What do you think we will win?

Still think the league's there for us to lose, the Carling Cup should be ours now. Those two.

What players will push for a first team spot and which will be pushed down the pecking order?

I think Neville will be pushed further down when Wes Brown comes back from injury. Don't think there will be major changes with that, if I'm honest.

Will the old guard be still pushing for first team places come the 2009 -2008 season?

I think Scholes is still our best midfielder, and is a genius, a key member still.
I think Neville will be 3rd choice right back, and appearances limited, same with Giggsy, fully depending on whether we get another winger, and if Ronaldo goes.

And will fergie hang up his managers coat if he wins the league and Champions league double again?

No. He'll leave Old Trafford in a box.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I expect to at least win league and it would be good to see the kids win the Carling cup. Not as sure with the Champions League as Barca are looking really good this year. They are wice the side the were last year. I think if we avoid Barca to the final we wll win it, but I don't fancy going to the Nou Camp. Would love to meet Madrid at some stage aswell in CL.

Want to see Fabio get his chance and it would be good to see Ando declare his loyaty to United, His interview in Italy is Kinda unsettling as I thought the future team would be built round him.

Let Tevez go if we have to pay over 20 mil and bring back rossi. We need a clinical goal scorer not a work horse.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I expect everyone in the team to give his best at every game, to play with his heart for the team. Do that and the results will come

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all hello to everyone, I have just discovered this excellent forum and I look forward to being a part of it.

I think we have an outstanding chance of winning the league this season, we played alot of the very difficult away fixtures in the first half of the season and have come through it still within touching distance of the top of the table. Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal all have to come to Old Trafford and I fancy us to beat anyone at our place.

We have clearly not played to our full potential during the first half of the season, but I saw a definite improvement in our performance against Middlesbrough. We created lots of chances and sliced through there defence with some great football, if we can just start to be more clinical in front of goal then we will start hammering teams by a comfortable margin. Wayne Rooney looked sharper and fitter against Boro then he has done in a while and Berbatov has made match winning contributions in the last two matches so hopefully he will keep that going.
Also, if Ronaldo can return to the form of last season then we will be scoring goals for fun.

I expect us to win the Carling Cup of course, but I am not sure how I feel about the FA Cup this season because it is behind the League and Champions League in importance and I think we should rest some of our key players in those matches until we get to the Quarters.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts

Well, I'll be disappointed if we don't win the league. We have the 2 games in hand, and with the fixtures we have left, and more importantly the fact that we have the other "big 3" as well as City and Villa at home, we're in the driving seat and it's ours to lose.

What players will push for a first team spot and which will be pushed down the pecking order?

Well, we have Rafael and Evans already pushing for a place and getting quite regular action. But hopefully 2009 will see the likes of Fabio, Welbeck or Campbell (though more likely Welbeck), Possebon etc push for a place, or at least get first-team football somewhere else on loan, apart from Campbell as I fail to see what another loan spell will do.

As for the pecking order, I expect Neville to drop down the pecking order when Brown comes back from injury and Giggs to drop down as I expect a left-winger to be signed either this month or in the summer.

Will the old guard be still pushing for first team places come the 2009 -2010 season?

As we head into next season, I expect the old guard to be playing less of a part. Scholes is still a great player, so he still has a big part to play (although I expect him to play less games.) As for Giggs and Neville, they will play much less of a part (if they are still here, as I think one of them could retire.)

If indeed a new left-winger comes and possibly with Campbell or Welbeck, and Brown returns from injury back to a good standard of play and Rafael's continued development, then Giggs and Neville won't play that much of a part on the pitch.

And will fergie hang up his managers coat if he wins the league and Champions league double again?

This one is the hardest to say. I think if we win the Champions League again he may retire being the first manager to win back to back Champions League titles, but thats just a personal opinion and I'm sure plenty will disagree.

However, if we win the League he will continue, as he will want to beat the Scousers League title record, even wanting to win another Champions League title.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
manutd004 said:
[However, if we win the League he will continue, as he will want to beat the Scousers League title record, even wanting to win another Champions League title.

Yes this is true when will Fergie ever be happy if he wins the league and catches there league record then there is there Champions league record to catch .

And after that there league cup record ( He isnt bothered about that really )

I think it will be the doctor that will determine Fergie's retirement .

But he did say a strange thing a few years ago he said he wouldnt set a date because it adds pressure to the players .

That said he could leave at the end of any season couldnt he ?;)

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
It's really impossible to say, I'd say we're looking likely to win the league now but its anything but certain. Champions league again is impossible to call, it only takes one bad game for you to be out. FA Cup is anyones game, league cup we have a good shout but its not a priority for me.

I can see Rafael and Wes Brown sharing the right back spot with Neville just a squad player. Would like at some stage for Fabio to start getting a few games as well but we'll see how he settles. Otherwise i don't think there will be anything drastically different from the current squad

Will the old guard be still pushing for first team places come the 2009 -2010 season?

I think Scholes will still be our top midfielder but will play a bit less frequently to keep him fresh and help the team learn to cope without him. I think Giggs will be limited to appearances off the bench either when we need creativity or maybe just to keep possession late on. As I said before i think Gary Neville will be gradually fazed out.

I don't think Fergie is ready to leave this season, I think he seas this squad as being a work in progress still and won't call it a day until either 2010 or 2011.

Transfers

I'm starting to think maybe we won't go through with the Tevez deal, him and Berbatov doesn't work as a partnership as they play at naturally different tempos and we need a goal scorer for £30m not another support striker. Which is a shame because i like Tevez and he was so important for us last season, but at the moment he's not what we need. I think Fergie will spend the money on maybe Benzema or David Villa.

I also think we will be bringing in a Left Winger as Giggs's days on the wing look numbered. I'd love it to be Ashley Young or Franck Ribery.

I don't think Ronaldo will leave this summer but Madrid are having some problems at the moment.

In Summary

I think its a good year ahead, it may not be glittered with success but i think at the end of 2009 the team will be a better team than they were at the start of 2009. I think rough edges will be rounded off and boys will become men.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Berbatov9 said:
I expect to at least win league and it would be good to see the kids win the Carling cup. Not as sure with the Champions League as Barca are looking really good this year. They are wice the side the were last year. I think if we avoid Barca to the final we wll win it, but I don't fancy going to the Nou Camp. Would love to meet Madrid at some stage aswell in CL.

Want to see Fabio get his chance and it would be good to see Ando declare his loyaty to United, His interview in Italy is Kinda unsettling as I thought the future team would be built round him.

Let Tevez go if we have to pay over 20 mil and bring back rossi. We need a clinical goal scorer not a work horse.

Tevez and Rossi are similar type of players, but Tevez is far better finisher. I realy admire Rossi, he's a great talent, and i was realy dissapointed when United sold him but Tevez is far better than Rossi. The only thing is that i sincerely regret giving that enormous sum of money on Berbatov, because with that sum and a little more we could have bought Benzema wich i understand is valued at 50 mil euros.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Most of you will probably so to win X, Y and Z. I must admit I would be tempted to say "too much". I am very disappointed with the season thus far.

If we retain our title, I will be delighted.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Red Devil said:
Most of you will probably so to win X, Y and Z. I must admit I would be tempted to say "too much". I am very disappointed with the season thus far.

Agreed ;)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Red Devil said:

I may be too much,but last year it was almost the same. We were trailing arsenal , this time liverppol. We have to games in hand wich i'm 100% sure United will win, and we'll be 1 point behind them.We're in the semis of the carling cup, in the Champions League we haven't lost a game, though we drew a lot. It's not the first season United have a weaker first half of the season than the second, so let's hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wazza1989 said:
Tevez and Rossi are similar type of players, but Tevez is far better finisher. I realy admire Rossi, he's a great talent, and i was realy dissapointed when United sold him but Tevez is far better than Rossi. The only thing is that i sincerely regret giving that enormous sum of money on Berbatov, because with that sum and a little more we could have bought Benzema wich i understand is valued at 50 mil euros.
Do you not think rossi is more clinical? I think Tevez has wasted alot of chances this year. Hope I don't get alot of stick for this but Tevez seems more of a Ji Sung Park type player this season.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Success in every competition. :p

To be seriously, I hope we will win the Premier League and FA Cup. Champions League will be probably strong to defend our title.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i think we'll win the bpl, ucl ,carling cup. sir alex said 5 months ago that he would retire after three years so i think he'll stay 3 more seasons. i think neville will basically be left to cup and less important games. rafael and brown(once he comes back from injury ) will share the spot. where transfers are concerned i can only see us making the tevez deal permanent . if ronaldo goes we'll probably buy ribery or young with the money we get . hopefully toscic will prove to be a sensation and get a good number of starts

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
As always i just want us to be competitive and play to our best ability! :cool: I seriously think we're a top team so if we do play consistantly well, i hope the rest will take care of itself.

Ofcourse winning the league and champions league again would be the ultimate and then nobody could question whether we are one of the greatest current generation teams to have played but overall aslong as we are competitive in everything, i'll be happy.

Im not expecting us to win everything, more in hope rather than expectation but id love us to win a throphy!

We should be capable of winning something but once u get near the end, there can sometimes be twists so im just hopeing for another top year where players continue to develop, both younger and older and we continue to be a great team who are both successful and entertain! :cool:

pz!

G

·
What do we expect from United in 2009 ?

Cheaper ticket prices.

A party for uncle Malc. ( jelly and ice cream ;) ).

Cheaper beer.

Stewards to stop acting like p e nises.

and pies that are hot and you can really eat instead of using them as weapons.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
All I expect in '09 is for the team to play with much more urgency and for fergie to give the young ones, as well as Tosic some decent minutes of playing time.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
in terms of trophies i think we will win the carling cup and possibly the league "its there for the taking".
but its the standard of football that must improve because this present season to date we have been dreadful and however disagrees are just bluffing yourselves , we have got good players and its a fact we strenghened the squad in the summer but we are really struggling to score goals :confused: ,our strikers have all been dropping deep all season long if we keep 2 strikers near the box surely we will score a lot more goals .
if we keep this poor goalscoring record going we will gift the scum the premiership and that will be a sin ,and we have shown nothing in the champions league this season we will have to lift our performances massively to compete in the upcoming game's ,the good news is utd have got another 3 gears to go through and we need to get into cruise control to have any realistic chance of the major prizes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts