Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen it a few times now especially last season when united played them at there ground how we parked the bus in their stadium and this season with chelsea where it was possibly even worse.

What do you make of this? I know at the end of the day its all about getting into the final and if you get there and win people wont remember how you got there but im just curious as to what you make of the almost 'we're rubbish at passing a ball' approach taken?

I know and understand that barcelona are the best passing team in the world but we're talking of the ELITE of english football here who are supposed to be the in the best league too. Surely one of the teams from britian is good enough to go to barcelona and give a decent account of english football and thats its not all long ball stuff here?

When barcelona come to england, they will NEVER EVER adopt similar tactics nor will they just sit back and hope they can hold out for a draw because they are a huge team and almost owe it to their fans to go out and try to win due to the magnitude of the team. We're similar that we always go out and try to win but against barcelona its almost as if our teams are scared to try and play a game of football against them. Also nuetrals will almost usually be with barcelona because they atleast try to win whereas for example yesterday, chelsea literally defended the whole game and the one ball they had was a cech goal kick to drogba which 99% of the time failed.

Im not blasting english football here or the mentality of it or anything, im just curious as to how you feel about the approach taken yesterday by chelsea. Its not like we're talking about west brom here...we're talking of a team who are full of multimillion pound purchases and part of the elite of english football. Yet the best they could do at barcelona was literally defend for the whole game.

I know the press here have been critical of barcelona for not being able to break them down and praised chelsea alot and yes at times the play was too slow by them and they could have attempted a few more crosses to spread the chelsea team abit more but barcelona whether they go out or not will again adopt the same approach at chelsea regardless of being away.

I just wonder what you all made of it yesterday?

pz!:cool:

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I've been saying it for months, this Barça team is nowhere
near invincible. Messi is praised as the new Jesus but I'd take
the Winker over him any day of any week.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO

United and Barcelona are the greatest two teams in the world along the lines of Ronaldo and messi being the greatest two players in the world...Sort of like in a league of their own.

That being said, i still think on any given day a team can be beaten and there is no doubt that barcelona are beatable. As are united and chelsea etc.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
IMO

United and Barcelona are the greatest two teams in the world along the lines of Ronaldo and messi being the greatest two players in the world...Sort of like in a league of their own.

That being said, i still think on any given day a team can be beaten and there is no doubt that barcelona are beatable. As are united and chelsea etc.

I'm not sure if Barça are better than any of the big 4, especially
from a tactical point of view. As they proved against Chelsea, they have
no plan B.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if Barça are better than any of the big 4, especially
from a tactical point of view. As they proved against Chelsea, they have
no plan B.
I agree to a certain extent about the tactics. I think there plan A tactics so to speak are as good as any of the big fours tactics however they definately have absolutely no plan B. There is only one way to play at barcelona and no other.

Would u consider any of the top 4 teams in england better than barcelona?

pz:cool:

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I agree to a certain extent about the tactics. I think they're plan A tactics so to speak are as good as any of the big fours tactics however they definately have absolutely no plan B. There is only one way to play at barcelona and no other.

But Barça don't have good tactics, their tactics are to simply
outplay their opponents and force their way into goal. When
they find a defence that has a bit of organisation and won't
conceed space for no reason they don't know what to do.

I don't know if Barça are worse than the Big Four but I think
they would struggle.

Z

·
0 Posts
I agree to a certain extent about the tactics. I think they're plan A tactics so to speak are as good as any of the big fours tactics however they definately have absolutely no plan B. There is only one way to play at barcelona and no other.

Might explain why they only have two European cups. Fergie realized a few years ago that attacking football doesn't always ensure passage through to the next round and since then he's changed tactics. We've played a lot more defensively in Europe in the last few seasons, particularly in away legs. Rooney has been deployed as a winger while Ronaldo has been played up front so that a more defensive minded winger can play wide. The result? One winners medal and 1-0 up in a semi final. Barcelona need to realize that you can't play attacking football all the time because it makes you predictable. You need to change it up a bit, sometimes just pack the midfield to stifle the opposition and play counter attacking football. With Henry, Eto'o and Messi they'd probably be the best counter attacking team in the world if they gave it a try. I seem to be rambling a little bit now and I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post so I think I'll end it here :p

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But Barça don't have good tactics, their tactics are to simply
outplay their opponents and force their way into goal. When
they find a defence that has a bit of organisation and won't
conceed space for no reason they don't know what to do.

I don't know if Barça are worse than the Big Four but I think
they would struggle.

Fair enough :thumbsup: I think thats a good way of putting your opinion across and i agree to a certain extent.

Personally i like their tactics. I like the way they pass the ball and try to beat teams through the middle of the park because they lack any real height or good headers of the ball so playing it out wide all the time and looking to cross would be waste usually so they play more intricate stuff to suit the team. Thats why even messi and henry literally come into holes and tend to end up in the box alot for the so called wider men in the team because it all happens in a condensed area for barcelona.

However about the B tactics which they dont have, i agree. For example, even though they're not great headers of the ball, yesterday playing it wide and running down the wings would have been great for them to open chelsea up abit more to create gaps for the likes of iniesta to exploit but they never did this much. Funnily enough the one time alves put in a peach of a cross, bojan missed an open goal pretty much.

I agree that barcelona would struggle too...but i think it'd be just as much of a struggle for the big four teams. I still think barcelona and united>>the rest however i see what you're saying.

Good thoughts :specool:

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might explain why they only have two European cups. Fergie realized a few years ago that attacking football doesn't always ensure passage through to the next round and since then he's changed tactics. We've played a lot more defensively in Europe in the last few seasons, particularly in away legs. Rooney has been deployed as a winger while Ronaldo has been played up front so that a more defensive minded winger can play wide. The result? One winners medal and 1-0 up in a semi final. Barcelona need to realize that you can't play attacking football all the time because it makes you predictable. You need to change it up a bit, sometimes just pack the midfield to stifle the opposition and play counter attacking football. With Henry, Eto'o and Messi they'd probably be the best counter attacking team in the world if they gave it a try. I seem to be rambling a little bit now and I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post so I think I'll end it here :p
Valid point however :cool:

pz!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
It works so that's why English clubs play Barca the way they do. It's certainly very boring, though.

The thing that annoys me most is how Barca shout "Anti Football" every single time it happens.

Yes, it is anti football, we get it. Complaining won't change things, they need to be willing to play ugly.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Certainly makes for a boring game but last year and this it almost worked out to be the perfect gameplan.

If Ronaldo had scored the penalty and Drogba had put away his chance then both teams would have come away with a terrific 1-0 victory at the Nou Camp.

I still believe that Barcelona are the best attacking team in the World but United and Chelsea have 2 of the best defences and goalkeepers in World football. It's difficult to score against any team who put 11 men behind the ball. We've struggled against the relegation candidates in the Prem in the past who have done this so when you're up against United or Chelsea doing it scoring is a tough ask. The amount of respect shown to Barca by employing these tactics is immense.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Its a hard one to say. Teams are obviously frightened to give any room to Barcelona because they are so brilliant, and now it's also beed tried and tested that if you defend with absolute discipline against them they will struggle to create. So its an easy choice. But you have to look at their weaknesses too, not just their strengths. When teams get at Barcelona and attack them their back 4 is seriously fragile.

But, certainly in Chelsea's case, that will never be their game. Their entirely squad has been built to be a defensive wall with mental strength, but no real flair or movement.

I think if Arsenal were to play against Barcelona they would really do a number on them, Arsenal's pace and movement would just be too much for Barcelona.

With us it's slightly different, because we really struggle if we don't dominate possession and we would be wary of giving Barcelona too much space, especially with Barcelona in the team. But I have no doubt what so ever that we could put a few goals past them. Aside from being too defensive, one of our problems last season against them was that we could't keep the ball in their half, but I think with Berbatov's composure in tight environments we could be much better equipped.

I'm in two minds about whether I think the British appoach to Barcelona is right or wrong though, because obviously football is a results business and that is what matters, but it is also an industry run on the money of the fans and you have a duty to at least try and play football.

I think the final would be a different kettle of fish to the semi final though. I certainly couldn't see Ferguson or Wenger going in to a Eurpean Cup final and instructing his troops to park the bus.

I think it comes down to a matter of bravery to be honest, we know we have the quality to play good football and beat Barcelona, but it will come down to whether we have the guts to leave more space for them to play in to by attacking ourselves.

I also think we are a much more mature team now than what we used to be. Look at the way we dominated possession at the San Siro against Inter Milan this season, I don't think we could have done that in the past, certainly not going back to 06/07 when we were outclassed by AC Milan. But now thinks are different, even just this season, the likes of Fletcher, Rooney and co have gone from boys to men, and I think should we come up against Barcelona in the final this season, it would make a telling difference to from how things went last season.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hang on, lets not forget that we are talking about one leg in a CL game.If Chelski had opened up more (not that Barca let them) they could have been dead and buried.I feel certain Lampard and co intended to counter attack a lot more.It just didnt happen for them.For my money the advantage is still with Barca and Chelski have a heck of a lot to do at Stamford Bridge.It will be very interesting if Chelski get the first goal because they could well be under siege from then on.
I am really hoping for a Barcelona--United final. On neutral territory I think we have the defence to frustrate them and the attacking power to beat them. But to do so we must close them down in midfield.In many ways we are similiar sides---devastating going forward--but vulnerable when our midfield is overrun.Unlike Barca SAF has a Plan A,B and C. If thats the final I would fancy us to win it and not by parking the bus either.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Actually, despite my earlier post saying the method is effective, I hate t. 11 men behind the ball is worse than ugly.

Football is entertainment first & kudos to Barcelona & Wenger for being the few who seem to remember that.

Hiddink is a tactical genius & it was technically a good result but not for the fans who paid top dollar to see it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts