Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season we had alot of success against the big sides using a 4-3-3/4-5-1 tactic yet i don't think we've used it once this season. What happened?!

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can argue Rooney's free role still has us with one up front and the forward playing mid's are the attacking 3. We don't seem as fluid this year, but we aren't playing as well (yet) this year. Time will tell. I think it may be an odd season for this, no club has picked up form yet and Livepool are benefitting from it upto now. In contrast, Barcelona are absolutely eating everything football, and they are my tip for definite finalists for the Champions League.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It is what TheManc has touched on about, it is the lack of Hargreaves. He gave us the ability to be so versatile throughout the games without substituting. He could play up to three positions, and put in a MOTM performance when doing it. We currently don't have a player that gives us quite that ability so it makes Fergie's pre-match decisions that much more important. Also what makes players like him or Essien so valuable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
4 4 3

I still dont think 4 3 3 works with utd for years we have been all about width (not sure if ive spelt that right) last nite we went 4 3 3 wen anderson came on and valencia tore in2 o shea. Its always been 4 4 2 for me years gone by giggs and beckham in 99 coppell and hill morgan and bestie and now its park or nani and ronaldo.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Richie said:
Last season we had alot of success against the big sides using a 4-3-3/4-5-1 tactic yet i don't think we've used it once this season. What happened?!
We usually use that in tough European games, mainly away from home.
We are Manchester United and have been killing teams using 4-4-2 for years, so
why change? unless of course you play away to Barca etc,....

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
If I remember correctly we rarely used 4-3-3 in the big games last year.

Vs Chelsea at home we played a 4-4-2 with Rooney and Tevez. Giggs played slightly tucked it, but still on either wing.

Vs Arsenal at the emirates we played a 4-4-2 with Hargreaves and Anderson in the middle.

Vs Liverpool at Anfield we played a 4-4-2 with Hargeaves and Anderson in the middle

Vs Liverpool at home we started with a 4-3-3 with Anderson, Carrick and Scholes in midfield. But, we were winning 1-0 and Liverpool were starting to get a grip on the game andbegan dominating possession (despite being down to 10) so we brought on Tevez and Nani, went to a 4-4-2 and scored 2 more goals.

Vs Arsenal at home we played a 4-3-3 with Hargreaves, Scholes and Carrick and Arsenal had the beating of us. We got an underserved equaliser and straight away we brought on Tevez and Anderson, went to a 4-4-2 and ended up winning.

Vs Barcelona away we played a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo up front and Rooney on the left. This was arguably our worst performance of the season.

Vs Chelsea away we played a 4-3-3 and were very poor and Chelsea took a deserved lead. Then we went 4-4-2 and for 10 minutes we were excellent and Rooney equalised. We then went back to a 4-3-3 and Chelsea scored a deserved winner.

Vs Barcelona at home we played a 4-2-3-1 formation with Carrick + Scholes in midfield, Ronaldo, Park and Nani as the '3' and Tevez up top. We played quite well.

In the CL final we started with a 4-4-2 and hammered them and should have taken a 4-0 lead at half time. Later when we became tired we went to a 4-3-3 and Chelsea were the dominating team.

We are no where near our best when we play a 4-3-3 IMO. Depending on our personel a 4-2-3-1 can and does suit us however.

In the majority of big games we have faired better when playing a 4-4-2 than any other formation. It suits our style much better.

Think back to the days where we would struggle away from home even against the worst of European teams. Why? Because we were too catious and played a 4-3-3.

It just doesn't suit us. We have to play to our strengths - which is attacking and playing attractive football.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
lol TM ya footie geek :D great post.
How do you remember all this? impressive.
Not sure really. Outside of football I have the memory of a fish:rolleyes: :p

Even forgot my mums birthday last year :eek: She wasn't impressed to say the least!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
TheManc said:
If I remember correctly we rarely used 4-3-3 in the big games last year.

Vs Chelsea at home we played a 4-4-2 with Rooney and Tevez. Giggs played slightly tucked it, but still on either wing.

Vs Arsenal at the emirates we played a 4-4-2 with Hargreaves and Anderson in the middle.

Vs Liverpool at Anfield we played a 4-4-2 with Hargeaves and Anderson in the middle

Vs Liverpool at home we started with a 4-3-3 with Anderson, Carrick and Scholes in midfield. But, we were winning 1-0 and Liverpool were starting to get a grip on the game andbegan dominating possession (despite being down to 10) so we brought on Tevez and Nani, went to a 4-4-2 and scored 2 more goals.

Vs Arsenal at home we played a 4-3-3 with Hargreaves, Scholes and Carrick and Arsenal had the beating of us. We got an underserved equaliser and straight away we brought on Tevez and Anderson, went to a 4-4-2 and ended up winning.

Vs Barcelona away we played a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo up front and Rooney on the left. This was arguably our worst performance of the season.

Vs Chelsea away we played a 4-3-3 and were very poor and Chelsea took a deserved lead. Then we went 4-4-2 and for 10 minutes we were excellent and Rooney equalised. We then went back to a 4-3-3 and Chelsea scored a deserved winner.

Vs Barcelona at home we played a 4-2-3-1 formation with Carrick + Scholes in midfield, Ronaldo, Park and Nani as the '3' and Tevez up top. We played quite well.

In the CL final we started with a 4-4-2 and hammered them and should have taken a 4-0 lead at half time. Later when we became tired we went to a 4-3-3 and Chelsea were the dominating team.

We are no where near our best when we play a 4-3-3 IMO. Depending on our personel a 4-2-3-1 can and does suit us however.

In the majority of big games we have faired better when playing a 4-4-2 than any other formation. It suits our style much better.

Think back to the days where we would struggle away from home even against the worst of European teams. Why? Because we were too catious and played a 4-3-3.

It just doesn't suit us. We have to play to our strengths - which is attacking and playing attractive football.
nice... in conclusion 442

1 - 15 of 15 Posts