Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
There are only really two sets of fans who constantly throw "but your not even from Manchester" in our faces and thats Liddypuddle and Citeh.

Citeh are victims of their own lies, if you spout a lie often enough, it becomes "truth". Citeh despearately needed something to throw towards OT as they have had nothing to shout for, for 30 years. So some wag invented the "not from manchester" joke.

Liverpool fans do it from an insecurity complex, which is totally unfounded. They believe that United fans only support United from elsewhere because so many actually do, far far more than Liverpool. But LFC too have fans from all over the world, probably in as many places as United, but less of them. These fans apparently do not count.

I recently had this very discussion on a merseyside forum, nothing to do with football, but has a footy section. I got this crap from a liverpool fan who, it turns out, is an american and lives in Pennsylvania!! I asked him why he does not support Pitttsburgh or something, never got a reply!!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
To keep it short and sweet, aslong as you truly love and support United, and will do so no matter what the circumstances, then it doesn't matter where your from. You can be from Manchester, London, Ireland, Asia or the North Pole, aslong as you are United through and through it doesn't matter.

Although we still have a large amount of glory hunters, from all over the place, who really get on my nerves.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Haven't you just copied the Irish fellas blog on manutd.com and changed Ireland to Newcastle? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it doesn't matter where you're from or live, how many games you attend etc. True reds follow the team through thick and thin - that's all that matters.

I'm sure many people around the World sat up and took notice of United when they were so successful during the 90's but it's the fans that will continue to support the club when United are no longer winning things and start dropping down the league table that really count.

My family originally hails from Manchester although my parents and I were born in Lancashire. I think of my journey to Old Trafford as a bit of a trek and I only travel 50 miles. I have the utmost respect for fans who spend their hard earned money travelling from places like Ireland, Peru, China, Australia, USA etc just for 90 minutes of football.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Another thing I've just thought, people who say "We support our local team" are talking complete crap.

If everyone really 'supported there local team' then there would be far more Stockport, Crewe, Bolton ect. fans around.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
saw my first united match in 1982, don't come from mancs myself, but consider myself as a true fan.....whenever me or my other half round ere get the your not from manchester and i bet you've never even been to old trafford...it's an easy i've veen loadsa times wanna see the tickets stubs? it's also usually from people who don't even go to football themselves...a birmingham fan gave me grief and i was like ok you live 2 miles from the blues ground how often do you go?? should have been more like have you ever been mate...coz he clearly hadn't.

it doesn't matter where you come from to be a true fan...we DON'T live in the early last century where there you supported your local team because you didn't know anything else ,because there was no tv, internet, easy travel etc. we live in a different world to when you went to the local stadium and did what your dad did,.
as long as your committed to your team through THICK and THIN then you are a true red- for united the big test of fan loyalty and power would come if we didnt win anything for a significant- something i don't want to put to the test.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
a true red is somebody that sticks with the club when its on a long trophyless run.everybody that stuck with utd throughout the 70/80's are totally loyal and will never turn against the club , todays younger glory hunters still need to prove their loyalty only time will tell.
the fans that travel vast distance's to get to old trafford on a regular basis are the clubs most dedicated yet people from manchester would class these as glory hunters when they are actually more loyal .i suppose all clubs are like this but utd is on a far greater scale.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
reddwarf said:
Haven't you just copied the Irish fellas blog on manutd.com and changed Ireland to Newcastle? :rolleyes:
lmao was thinking the exact samething. Anyways the point of this is about us being gloryhunters. I myself am a season ticket holder living in chatham kent. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down south. Im drive or train it to home games. Never miss a sat but tend to miss week day games due to work and travel and financial situations. Now thats dedication doing something worth doing. But these fans calling us gloryhunters have a point that i have yet to prove wrong.....

My local club is gillingham.... why dont i support them?

simple answer is. "I Don't Know". i saw ryan giggs when i was like 7 and was amazed he was wearing a man united shirt and that was that. so thats all i can say does that make me glory hunter?

well some say no just pot luck it being the greatest team that he played for. Others say his that great he played for a great team so if that wasnt the case i wouldnt of supported man united. So technically i am a glory hunter because i choose a great player to follow. sooooooo Back to square one

So i say well Steve Bruce lived on my road and played for gillinghams first team before leaves for the red north. So i can say how about if i saw him at gillingham yet he was a great player and then moved to manchester so technically if i saw him loved gillingham then he moved and i loved manchester then that would make me a glory hunter....? so back to square one

what im trying to get out of this, is where is the end to that debate, all i can do is chuck insults back and fourth. We can never say if im a glory hunter or not. all i can say is i really enjoy watching united play, and if they wasnt there i would be one very bored person on a saturday, christ i even went to the super cup and was still amazed after we lost just for the fact i enjoyed it that much. So what am i..... true fan or glory hunter even i dont know anymore lol

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I does not matter where you come from and whether you have been to old trafford or not , its whats in your heart ,i have been in places like kenya where all the people dress in united shirts and stay up all hours to cheer united on.
I live in the midlands but that does not matter to me , who made this rule up that you have to support your local team , the important thing is you pick one and stick to it through thick and thin.
Manchester united belongs to everyone in the world who supports them

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm a true Man United supporter. OK, I can't go to every match because of financial reasons (I'm a student) but in the next year(s) when I get a job, I will come to Old Trafford at least once per season, especially against City or Liverpool.
I buy almost every fan item when I got enough money. And in 10 or 15 years I would move to Manchester to be closer to United. But I'm not less than a fan, I'm proud to be a Man United supporter. I'm a die-hard United supporter and I live United. :D

UNITED TILL I DIE!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
ayrton-senna3 said:
I will come to Old Trafford at least once per season, especially against City or Liverpool.
Good luck getting tickets for those!

Good to see you're keen to come to Old Trafford but I'd apply for other games if you really want to see United in action. Tickets for those games are very difficult to get hold of.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd say, getting up at insane hours of the morning to watch United, with a massive hangover, or without having going to bed and being completely fine with that, makes you a Red.

Skipping the last hour you have in school, just to not miss 10 minutes of a Carling Cup match works for me as well.

S

·
0 Posts
It's not where you are from.....It's where you're at that matters.

Though i do know that Chris McKenna won't be too happy that someone
has copied his article, changed a few words and tried to pass it off as
their own work. :mad:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
It's not where you are from.....It's where you're at that matters.

Though i do know that Chris McKenna won't be too happy that someone
has copied his article, changed a few words and tried to pass it off as
their own work. :mad:

lol Sal.

Thats what I was thinking ;)

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
Well, If I was wanting to go a Champions League Final again, I would sell the missus within an instant lol I don't know if I would get much for her like.

Seriously though, I have been supporting Utd for as far back as I can remember. I have to go to the toilet a million times before a really big match starts and I feel nervous days before, I really do lol I try and see as much of them as I can, generally the North East Games, which apart from the Boro on the odd ocassion we always do well up ere'. I cried when we won the Champions League back in May 08' and 99'. I feel every emotion as Utd Supporter and I share the absolute HATE for Liverpool with all Utd Fans. I love Utd me, I can't even handle Taking the mick out of Rooney now he is going bald, It just feels wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts