Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite simple.

The scenario is that Man Utd is struggling to pay off their debts and is facing some serious problems, which include the club's long-term survival.

Which players would you sell to alleviate the problem?

Which competition would you want the club to focus on?

For me, I would sell Ronaldo in an instance. He would get his dream move and we would hopefully get a fat check. In the last fiscal year, Man Utd's outstanding debts was 80 million pounds, so that should be covered by Ronaldo's sale.

Other high-earners at the club include; Rooney, Berbatov, Ferdinand and Tevez.
Evra, Vidic and Brown are reputed to be earning similar amounts with Flethcer, as well as O'Shea not far behind or even on par, depending which source you believe.

The club would have to do away with some of the more senior players and let the young ones play.

Assuming that Giggs, Scholes and Neville are no longer around, I'd do away with Fletcher and Brown.

Rafael, Evans and Possebon can step in and I would forgo the services of Carlos Tevez.

Depending on Campbell's development, I would either keep him to backup Rooney, Berba and Manucho or sell him, if he does not make the grade.

I would also want the club to focus on the Champions League, purely out of financial reasons, because it is so lucrative. Meaning, that if Fergie or whoever is in charge had a smaller squad and had to field a weaker team sometimes, I would prefer it to be in the prem.

Winning the league is more important, but doing well in the CL will make more money.

How about you?

·
Registered
293 Posts
easy. sell Ronaldo to City for 130 million pounds. not only will that cover all the debts but their will be 50 million pounds to buy a replacment with.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
What actions we should do is depending on the amount of debts and the deadline. But lets say we have to sort it out before 31st of December 2008.

I would first look how to maximize the income.
- Look to freeze a small part of the players wages. Turn the frozen wages into shares of the club to be exchanged back to money when the bank balance allows that. Well its not easy to explain but in short...loan money the players.

- Take the final step and sell the name of the stadium. Higest bidder really. Not sure if there would be that many bidders now with the recession going on but it should bring a few millions to the club.

If thats not enough we have to look at the wage structure. The players we would get the most from should be concidered as a possible selling. To save the club no one is untouchable. But to not increase the crises and spread to the pitch I would not sell more then one player at each position on the pitch. Forward, midfielders, defenders and goalies.
If you must have names. I would not buy my favourite player Tevez. This wouldnt bring us more income but we've just signed a striker for big money so it would be suicide to sell him so Tevez is the 'easiest' to get drop. On the midfield I would find a new club for Nani. Not sure if we would save HUGE money on wages but the fee for him would be respectable. The only defender I could see us earning money for is Wes. But to be honest I wouldnt sell one unless some put a bid on any of them that were too good to refuse.
Goalies I would sell Ben Foster. He's an Englishman and would attract clubs and bring us a nice pile of dough.

A last option would be to sell off a part of the club to the faithful fans. They will pay over price because for them the profit wont be the guiding light but the love for the club.

But my advice to the current owner is to sell the club back to where it belong.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spellbound said:
What actions we should do is depending on the amount of debts and the deadline. But lets say we have to sort it out before 31st of December 2008.

I would first look how to maximize the income.
- Look to freeze a small part of the players wages. Turn the frozen wages into shares of the club to be exchanged back to money when the bank balance allows that. Well its not easy to explain but in short...loan money the players.

- good move. The players wages are in the millions, so that would be a lot of help.

- Take the final step and sell the name of the stadium. Higest bidder really. Not sure if there would be that many bidders now with the recession going on but it should bring a few millions to the club.

- Ouch! No man...this is actually one of the last things I would consider. I know it's just a name, but I would hate for Man Utd matches to be played at the Budweiser Arena.

If thats not enough we have to look at the wage structure. The players we would get the most from should be concidered as a possible selling. To save the club no one is untouchable. But to not increase the crises and spread to the pitch I would not sell more then one player at each position on the pitch. Forward, midfielders, defenders and goalies.

- This makes sense to me. It would generate cash and keep the team in good shape, but when you say sell the players for which we would get the most money, this might include Rooney unless you consider Ronaldo to be a forward.

If you must have names. I would not buy my favourite player Tevez. This wouldnt bring us more income but we've just signed a striker for big money so it would be suicide to sell him so Tevez is the 'easiest' to get drop. On the midfield I would find a new club for Nani. Not sure if we would save HUGE money on wages but the fee for him would be respectable. The only defender I could see us earning money for is Wes. But to be honest I wouldnt sell one unless some put a bid on any of them that were too good to refuse.

- Not ronaldo?
I would think before selling Nani, we could do away with ronaldo first.
tevez is a great player, but the fact that we haven't signed him yet would mean that his transfer would not make permanent.

Goalies I would sell Ben Foster. He's an Englishman and would attract clubs and bring us a nice pile of dough.

- makes sense

A last option would be to sell off a part of the club to the faithful fans. They will pay over price because for them the profit wont be the guiding light but the love for the club.

- excellent idea and I would queue up to buy a share. This would really empower the fans to help the club, but I would want to have a say like a shareholder would.

But my advice to the current owner is to sell the club back to where it belong.
Very good points. I think Wes and Foster would command good transfer price and we could cope with their departures. I'm quite surprised not to see Ronaldo figure in your post.

Don't agree that renaming the stadium would one of the first steps though. Of course it makes financial sense, but it would be a heart-breaker.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Very good points. I think Wes and Foster would command good transfer price and we could cope with their departures. I'm quite surprised not to see Ronaldo figure in your post.

Don't agree that renaming the stadium would one of the first steps though. Of course it makes financial sense, but it would be a heart-breaker.
Selling the name of the stadium is indeed one of the worst fears but if that what it takes to save the club....im not gonna moan.

Ronaldo: Of course if some silly offers us enough money he's not holy at all. I would sell him with a smile if that what we have to do to save the club.
The reason I named Nani instead is that Ronalo was/is attracting new fans as well as some of the old ones and we would still get good money for Nani. Ronaldo a better player then Nani at the moment and keeping him and letting Nani go would secure some level of success and that is what the club has to carry on...being successful. To win or at least be up there with the best is what will guarantee the future of the club.
But if some rich guy would come and slam £200M(even a bit less then that would be grrrrrrreat:rolleyes: ) on Fergies desk I would scream TAKE THE BID! :D

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I will sell Ronaldo,Nani ,Park,Hargreaves ,Fletcher,Carrick
Focus on Frank Ribery , Martin Petrov, Sted Malbranque and Lennon.
The former Spurs atack and present Man Uts defense must probably can keeps the ,,fire" in all competitions for one or 2 years -the period enough the youths to collect experience and to develope the skills around remaining top class footballers.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
God forbids!! But if i were to handle such cases on such situation..then it is actually easier than having to sacrifice...I'll ask the players who among them wanted to leave..whoever step up, i'll let them leave even if the whole team does cause thats when we know how much this club means to these players.

Lets not say what if all of them doesnt want to cause in today life..that is hardly the case..( No money, no honey) even when we are not in financial difficulties...already there is player whom wanted to leave so? :rolleyes:

With the remaining players i will plan out what to do next cause by then i already knew what the club meant to them and that they are willing to do whatever it takes to help the club including cut out pay & etc. No specific competition to choose from cause i always believe with that kind of love and passion, it can provide the extra will for them to win any competition.

That said..if only its as easy as that..:eek:

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
easy... Ronaldo
and also Berbatov

they are the highest earners in the team so selling them would be good :p

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Well the thing about Mann Utd is that we've always over payed because clubs know that Ferguson doesn't care about price if he wants a particular player.

Perhaps more importantly we've always been underpaid when selling of prize assets. Mainly because we usually sell after a player has fallen out with Fergie.

Who then gets rid of the player as quickly as possible usually for a pittance.

Incidentally I'd probably sell... um... This would be so much easier if we were talking about Liverpool. :D

In fact I'll do Liverpool. Firstly I'd sell Kuyt. Then Riera. Then Benayoun. The Leiva. The Hyypiä. Then Dossena. Then Pennant.

Then Degen. Then Plessis. After that I'd probably try and salvage what remained of the squad. Oh except for Aurelio. He's cut too. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Zense_United said:
i wish there would be new takeover.. richer than glazer
i hope too but very unlikely.
rich people wont care about their money and i believe they will like the feeling of getting a mid-table clubs to the top of the world. who would want to buy united when they're alrdy at the top and probably dont need the cash so much unless u're a united fan

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Unless the club was close to bankruptcy then I imagine selling Ronaldo for £100m and removing his astronomical wage bill would suffice.

However, if further sacrifices had to be made then I would try to keep the core of the team and just offload squad players such as Evans, Fletcher, O'Shea, Manucho etc. We could also loan out or sell the entire reserve team, which I'm afraid would also result in Solskjaer being sacked.

We could also try fundraisers such as 'throw a wet sponge at the Glazers' day. :D

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
Nothing, ive spent hundreds if not thousands on shirts, kits and other stuff over the years...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i would sell ronaldo of course.....get atleast a 70 mill pounds for him from real...

then sell our not so used or not needed players....we could sell fletcher and o'shea and people like that to reuce our overall salary.........

thats pretty much all i think about right now...i will if i get anymore later!! ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Simple...just ask Uniteds 333 million fans for just £1 each to save the club they support.

Need more..sell Ronaldo.

And the suggestion to sell the name of the stadium. Higest bidder. is the most stupid thing i've ever heard a United supporter say IMO.

Though i suppose we have fans who would be ok supporting AIG United as well if the price was right. :mad:

The phrase " selling your soul " fits in perfectly here.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
Simple...just ask Uniteds 33 million fans for just £1 each to save the club they support.

Need more..sell Ronaldo.

And the suggestion to sell the name of the stadium. Higest bidder. is the most stupid thing i've ever heard a United supporter say IMO.

Though i suppose we have fans who would be ok supporting AIG United as well if the price was right. :mad:

The phrase " selling your soul " fits in perfectly here.

Thank you:)

And dont you think we already sold our soul? We're depending on someones goodwill...

S

·
0 Posts
spellbound said:
Thank you:) You're welcome :D ;)

And dont you think we already sold our soul? We're depending on someones goodwill...
Yeah, in more ways than a lot of people realise. :(

But to sell the name Manchester United or Old Trafford would be the final piece.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Getting rid of our best players, would result in United becoming less successful.
Which would lose us the revenue of winning trophies, and competing in the European Cup.

And, would you really want an Abramovich/Arab type takeover at United?

There has been a lot of complaining, me included, about the Glazers, and rightly so. But, at least they've left Fergie to it. Haven't done much wrong with regards to the actual team. Unlike at West Ham, Newcastle, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.