Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the god should have a massive say in what direction utd go after he retires, his wealth of knowlege would help the club find the right man for not only the short but the long term of utd's future. Someone like jose mourinho would be a short term choice, how would leave after 3 or 4 years not really helping the club grow.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
i think is too early too speak about this. i notice people talk alot on this subject but fergie has a couple of years left. when he finally sais " ok at the end of the season, i will retire" then we will see.

there are a few more threads regarding this subject also.

Z

·
0 Posts
It's an interesting question. I think he should have some say in who the next manager is, but I also think that when the replacement takes command Fergie should cut his ties completely. Matt Busby stayed at the club after he retired and there were a lot of barren years while the new managers struggled to flourish in his shadow. We should learn from that and Fergie should enjoy his retirement away from the club, so the new manager isn't feeling added pressure from Fergie.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
We should learn from that and Fergie should enjoy his retirement away from the club, so the new manager isn't feeling added pressure from Fergie.
I think they'll probably make him an ambassador of the club. I just hope they don't make him Director of Football!!!

As for the original question, I think it's important that Fergie is involved with the decision to find his replacement. David Gill knows football but the Glazers don't have a clue so Fergie's input will be important.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Well I think it's safe to say he'll remain at the club. He'll obviously have the final vote over our next manager.

If Zico had managed a big club I'd love to see him at Old Trafford after Ferguson.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you lot wont agree with me but i would give sir alex a big role which include hiring and firing future managers in consultation with the board members, this would safegurad the future, he would allow the managers to have time and laso advise him if needed.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think him and Bobby Charlton should have the largest say in who gets given the job, because they are people we have that truly know football. But obviously Gill and co will have to have their say.

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
It's an interesting question. I think he should have some say in who the next manager is, but I also think that when the replacement takes command Fergie should cut his ties completely. Matt Busby stayed at the club after he retired and there were a lot of barren years while the new managers struggled to flourish in his shadow. We should learn from that and Fergie should enjoy his retirement away from the club, so the new manager isn't feeling added pressure from Fergie.

I agree with you to an extent mate, but tbh a lot of managers we had simply weren't good enough for the task. From what i have read Sir Alex seemed to go to Sir Matt Busby a lot and ask advice and he was deeply saddened by his death as he included Sir Matt in the same bracket as Jock Stein, in that he considered him a great manager, friend and mentor. I think Sir Alex will become an ambassador or another staff role, though i think if he thought it was deterimental to the next man in charge and therefore Man Utd he wouldn't accept a role.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
he'll be the same as Bobby Charlton:)..and will lead the team to the winners medal at a Champions League final:Dwho knows?...he's grea knowledge of the sport will help United extremely.that's for sure. but he still has about 2 years left. We will see then and speak about this.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I agree with that.

As for the question, the decision on who should be manager should not be solely down to Sir Alex imo. He should definitely have a say, but it shouldn't be up to only Sir Alex. Sir Bobby Charlton will also have a big part to play in the appointment, and he and David Gill know what they're talking about, so the three of them will work together to get the right man.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
This is interesting, Fergie should have a say in who is going to be the next United manager, but he isn't retiring yet, people are talking about this but he is still a few years away from finally giving it up, so we shouldn't talk about this just yet, wait until Fergie himself says "this is it, im retiring", then we will discuse what should happen.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
When Busby retired, the squad was coming to the end. Charlton, Crerand, Law etc were all in their 30s and coming to the end of their careers. Same can be said for Best as he only had a few years left.

This squad has barely started.

I think they'll probably make him an ambassador of the club. I just hope they don't make him Director of Football!!!

As for the original question, I think it's important that Fergie is involved with the decision to find his replacement. David Gill knows football but the Glazers don't have a clue so Fergie's input will be important.
I think Gill has already let us know that Fergie will have a say in who's next. Sure of it.

And United are World Champions

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
When Busby retired, the squad was coming to the end. Charlton, Crerand, Law etc were all in their 30s and coming to the end of their careers. Same can be said for Best as he only had a few years left.

This squad has barely started.

I think Gill has already let us know that Fergie will have a say in who's next. Sure of it.

And United are World Champions
I'm pretty sure I read/heard that David Gill, Sir Bobby Charlton and Fergie along with the glazer (the son) will be the ones who discuss who comes in.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I believe the god should have a massive say in what direction utd go after he retires, his wealth of knowlege would help the club find the right man for not only the short but the long term of utd's future. Someone like jose mourinho would be a short term choice, how would leave after 3 or 4 years not really helping the club grow.
agreed he has to be massively considered as an advisor when hiring his successor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts