Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All that speculative talk of another Treble seems to have quietened down after
the reality check of the last week or so. Well it has from me :eek:

Despite United's extensive squad of talent there just isn't enough to produce the
type of rotation that is crucial to launching a successful trophy challenge on three
fronts.

The loss of Wayne Rooney, even for just one game, seems to send the rest of
United's forward line into some kind of meltdown.

Remove either Vidic or Ferdinand from the defence and it's the same story
(although that's not exactly what happened against City).

It was a measure of how desperate United's attacking options had become that
Fergie was unable to bring on any substitutes to fill the striking void against
City – and instead sent NEMANJA VIDIC UP TO BE A STRIKER :eek:

With no players bought in January United are are relying on the entire first team
staying fit and avoiding suspension for the rest of the season.

And the chances of that – especially with the next round of Champions League
matches starting shortly – is ZERO !!!!!

So given the choice – which trophy should United concentrate their efforts on for
the remainder of the season: the Premier League or the Champions League ?

Or will they have to settle for the FA Cup instead?

Perhaps you think another Treble is still on the cards?

Or could they end up with nothing at all – an increasingly likely prospect if they
don't get out of this mini run of bad form sometime soon?

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Fergie will never do that. He will go hell for leather in all competitions. This our year. We just need Roon fit.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I actually thought it was a good idea putting Vidic upfront. He actually won a few of the balls. Should maybe of done it a while earlier :rolleyes:

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
since united did do the treble, every team that has a realistic chance come Jan since then get the "they are on for the treble" treatment

with me its get the league won, then its look for the double in the FA Cup and only then go for the treble. The press hype this shit up way too much and us as fans dont need to get sucked into it.

You can only win a treble once you have won a double. SIMPLE!!!!!!

In terms of concentrating on one, no!!! United mentality is were in it to win it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Carly,

If you look back, this is not the 1st mini slump when you take into account our poor start to the season.

The penalty miss by Ronaldo has come back to haunt us in spades as it would probably have been a sure 3 pointer had it been converted. One thing for sure is that our squad cover is not as deep as SAF would like us to think it is, e.g. whenever Ronnie or Wazza don't show up. They clearly are the linchpins of our team and we really struggle in their absence I don't mean just physically but also mentally.

The League is still not out of sight but I'm hopeful about the FA Cup since it's been years since we last lost 2 games in a row. The Champions League may be beyond us and teams like Real Madrid and Inter Milan are looking really awesome.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I'd settle for Both the Premier League & Champion's league. Both are can be achieved, if not all 3. Its all about That "Never give up, Never say die" attitude.

We just need to make sure we don't Lose our star Trio.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
i think the league is one bad result to being out of touch, we've to go all out in europe this yr!! fcuk the fa cup!!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
eoininho said:
i think the league is one bad result to being out of touch, we've to go all out in europe this yr!! fcuk the fa cup!!
arsenal have played a lot of the bigger clubs at Emirates. They still have a lot to do. Also its a team which has never experienced a title race before so nerves could get the better of them. One draw and win from us and its back to 3pts with us to play them at OT and last few games we have been the better side and just been unlucky at the end.

To say its over when gap is 5pts and there is 36pts to be won/lost is daft

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
We can still win the league. We know who we're playing, when, and what we have to do. That is simple. What's not simple is the Champions League and FA Cup because of the draws. If we beat Arsenal, odds are it will be down to us, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Portsmouth from the Premiership, which means we have good odds of facing a non Premiership team. Just for saying that, if we win, we'll face Liverpool or Portsmouth...

And then the Champions League is even more difficult. I'd almost like Arsenal and Liverpool to win, because we can't face an English club until the semis. Which would leave, probably, Real Madrid, Barca, Schalke/Porto, and Fenerbache/Sevilla. However, if we make it to the semis, then it's a crap shoot. We need some luck with the initial draws, hope for some upsets in other games, and capitalize on our games. However only one of the three is in our control, so I think it's up to luck. Not saying we don't have the skill or determination, but sometimes you just need some luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts