Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=486619&in_page_id=1811

What would you do?

Babies swapped at birth in hospital mix-up lived with wrong parents for TEN months
By ALLAN HALL
For ten months, they have nursed, loved and cared for their babies.
But these two mothers are soon to face the agony of handing over the girls they have raised - when they perform an extraordinary swap.
They were victims of a hospital mix-up which left each cradling the other's child.
Now, following the discovery of the error, they have agreed to return the children to their rightful parents.
Yesterday, the two Czech families spoke of the trauma they have suffered following the mistake, which was only uncovered after the father of one of the girls decided to have a DNA test.
"It was a total shock," said Libor Broza, 29, who, with partner Jaroslava Trojanova, will surrender their daughter, Nikola.
"I just cried for two hours solid and Jaroslava was inconsolable; it was just impossible to believe that this could happen.
"We have raised Nikola for the past ten months. She's a beautiful little girl who's always smiling and it's impossible to imagine her now living apart from us.
"But at the same time just 20 miles away lives our real daughter."
Miss Trojanova, 25, gave birth at Trebic Hospital, near Brno on the Czech-Austrian border, within 18 minutes of Jaroslava Cermakova - who tellingly shares her Christian name - last December 9.
Mrs Cermakova and her builder husband Jan named their daughter Veronika.
Both mothers became suspicious after Nikola's birth weight appeared to shrink from 7lbs 4ozs to 5lbs 12ozs overnight, while Veronika's rose by 1lb 8ozs.
But staff reassured them that the girls' birth weights had been recorded wrongly.
That should have been the end of the matter. But lorry driver Mr Broza soon tired of jibes from friends that he and his partner were darkhaired and brown-eyed, while his daughter was blonde with blue eyes.
He secretly decided to have a DNA test done over the Internet which revealed that he was not Nikola's father.
When he challenged Miss Trojanova as to the father's real identity, she too decided to have a DNA test, which revealed that the child was not theirs at all.
A fortnight later the couple tracked down Mr and Mrs Cermakova to a village in the same county.
The two families met for the first time last week and agreed that they would all gradually spend more time together before swapping Nikola and Veronika permanently before Christmas.
The couples are convinced that medical staff exchanged their babies a day after they were born, perhaps confused by the mothers' first names.
Mr Broza said: "We have missed so many milestones in Veronika's life; her first teeth and her first steps. Now we are determined not to miss her first birthday."
Miss Trojanova, who is still breastfeeding the little girl who is not her real daughter, added: "The whole situation is just awful.
What can I say? You love your daughter but, at the end of the day, she is not yours."
The couples now plan to sue Trebic Hospital for £250,000.
Its director Petr Mayer this week delivered them a written apology.
The Cemakovas said in a statement: "You can imagine the heartache our families are going through.
"We have both raised a child we understood to be biologically our own only to be robbed of that knowledge.
"We have to come to terms with the enormity of what all this means and need privacy and time to achieve this."

·
Registered
788 Posts
There was a film like years ago, Think it was called Mistaken Identity. Its a difficult one, because on one hand one of the babies is ur own flesh and blood while in the other hand one baby is the one you have cared and loved for got up in the middle of the night to fed and etc...

I think..............I would want my flesh and blood baby, It would be hard to give up the baby but i think its the right thing to do. I would wana keep contacted wit the other baby's family. In years to come it would be the correct choice!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
ARBUCKS said:
I think..............I would want my flesh and blood baby, It would be hard to give up the baby but i think its the right thing to do. I would wana keep contacted wit the other baby's family. In years to come it would be the correct choice!
you nailed it! ;)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
ARBUCKS said:
you nailed it! ;)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
of course i'd swap back, and i would want more than 250k in compo, the first few months in a baby's life is when you really bond- now coz of the hospitals mistake they will never get that chance with there own child

1 - 6 of 6 Posts