Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the Fergie bashing and the critism of his tactics i was just wanted to know
what team and formation people would of liked to see picked??

Take into account recent injuries and players not been match fit.

I personally don't think fergie couldn't have put out a much stronger side.
Hargo hasn't played yet this season so i wouldn't of started him. Nani the
same although he'd been training and played international, still Liverpool
away is a hard match to start the season with.

So i wanna see people's choice if they were in the managers seat yesterday.

A lot of people think they could of done a lot better than Sir Alex so what is it they would of done better.........

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
same back 5

Fletcher Scholes Carrick Anderson

Rooney Tevez

Fletcher been good form this season so far and would have def gone 4-4-2 with berbs as an impact sub on his away debut. If it was a OT i would have started berbs in a 4-3-3 and dropped fletcher

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
I would of left Berbatov on the bench.

Nani Scholes Carrick Anderson

Rooney Tevez

With Rooney, Tevez, Nani and Anderson all rotating like we usually do.

When Carrick was injured, substitue him straight away, for Hargreaves. Bringing Berbatov on and give Tevez or Rooney a rest depending on the score.

If Shcoles played the same bad game, then I would of brought on Giggs, and put Anderson in the centre.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Before tha match we were all happy with the team selection, but looking back I think we should have gone with:

-------------------------------VDS-------------------------------

--Brown-----------Rio-----------------Vidic-------------Evra--

--Hargreaves-------Carrick-----Anderson----------Giggs--

----------------------Tevez--------Berbatov-------------------

With Fletcher coming on for Carrick and going on the right with Hargreaves going to CM.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Everyone was happy with the line-up because everyone though that:

a) Anderson, Scholes and Carrick would be a big enough midfield and quality enough to override the Liverpool duo of Mascherano and Alonso.

b) The 3 strikers being strikers, with Tevez and Rooney converting as wingers when we are on the defensive.

BUT

a) we had two centre midfielders who got overrun by there two. We should of seen this and moved Anderson in alongside Scholes and carrick.

b) Rooney was out of the game.

·
Registered
601 Posts
-------------------------------VDS-------------------------------

--Brown-----------Rio-----------------Vidic-------------Evra--

--Hargreaves-------Carrick-----Scholes----------Nani--

----------------------Tevez--------Berbatov-------------------

i would have left rooney on bench, and come on for tevez.
Always 442, never 433 it never works

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Stephen said:
Everyone was happy with the line-up because everyone though that:

a) Anderson, Scholes and Carrick would be a big enough midfield and quality enough to override the Liverpool duo of Mascherano and Alonso.

b) The 3 strikers being strikers, with Tevez and Rooney converting as wingers when we are on the defensive.

BUT

a) we had two centre midfielders who got overrun by there two. We should of seen this and moved Anderson in alongside Scholes and carrick.

b) Rooney was out of the game.
Absolutely agree.

I actually think our problems stemed from Carricks injury and then moving to 4-4-2.

Carrick was mostly controlling the midfield, but then we he got his injury and started to hobble we lost it a bit. I would then have brought on Hargreaves at half-time, who would have been the best option, to then try to help control the midfield.

Playing 4-4-2, with Rooney on the right and Anderson on the left was an accident waiting to happen.

As for the bench, I think Park not being on the bench was a bad mistake. He would have been the perfect player to bring on, to add pace, energy, another 110%er and to change the game no matter what the score was.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I would have put down the laptop, gone over to the couch where my fiancee sat, cuddled up to her and watched a movie with her instead of editing vile posts and answering to members, who are sure fergie told the boys NOT to play with tenacity :D :rolleyes: :) :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
When U look the Team at first i think everybody should have thought we are good enough on paper...
But the game is not played on paper and u cannot predict injury to carrick and VDS howler...
SO overall not much change Rooneys position was the only thing that was really out of order...
But bad day and luck so whatever u do in that form u would have lost!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would (at the start of the game) gone with ...

Same back four and goalie.

Played Nani and Giggs down both wings with Scholes and Carrick in the centre. Left Ando out, Liverpool have no width, United actually do therefore should of used it rather than a striker and CM on the wings.

Then Rooney behind Tevez. Brought Berba on at some point.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would have gone for tevez / rooney up front with a 442 with fletcher / park in there because of their high energy levels and willingness to pressure the ball.

The main thing I would have done is to not allow Liverpud to pass freely in midfield and to press them harder. So I would have told the team to have made it much harder for Liverpud to retain possession and get in their faces much more. Hopefully this might have created attacking opportunities from winning the ball back in dangerous areas.

The core of my approach would have been to have got 2-3 yards closer to their players and when we won the ball for the team to pass it quickly and sharply. The basic idea would be to try and positively win back the ball before it gets too close to our area. Make it just as hard for them to hold the ball as it was for us. Speed , intensity , pressure ,quick passes. Andy Townsend has been saying for years that United play best at a high tempo , I agree.

I probably would lose the match 0-5 because of a whole range of glaring managerial mistakes that I had made because I have little idea about many things. But one thing I would have done is told my team to get at them ,get close and don't give them time and space. I'd make them work hard and make themselves a right pain in the butt for the other team. I would also tell them to try and take the game by the scruff of the neck if they could and take the iniative. It seemed to work for Liverpud. But what do I know?

Are you going to say I am fergie bashing now?

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
should have used the same 4-3-3 system we beat the big teams with last year like

----------------------Van Der Sar

Brown-------Ferdinand------Vidic-------Evra

----------Hargeaves------------Carrick
------------------------Scholes

------Tevez-------------------------Rooney
-----------------------Berbatov

Bring Anderson on for Scholes at about the hour mark, Also bring nani on for one of the forwards at maybe 75-80 minutes to inject some pace as Lverpools legs tire. Then if we are winning in the last 5-10 minutes bring on Giggsy just to help us keep possession.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
vds
brown vidic ferdinand evra
park fletcher carrick nani
rooney berbatov

i am quite comfortable with fletcher and carrick in the midfield. fletcher may not has the passing range and the vision of scholes, but he has lot more mobility and he provides more energy in midfield. park and nani on each flanks will provide the balance. although tevez has been excellent, but the pairing of rooney and berbatov excites me a lot more.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I feel the game lacked tenacity, although I don't think it was Fergie's fault - the players simply weren't!

Hargreaves did a good job on the right whenever he played that last season including the CL final, so I would have played him on the right and Park on the left. This game just came too early for those two, but we should see them in up-coming fixtures

On current form, I would have paired Tevez with Berbs and sadly dropped Rooney, although I imagine that's a very hardthing to do.

And I do not understand the members saying they would have gone with the same back 5? Surely in retrospect you would have chosen Foster or Kuszczak over VDS?!?!

Tevez - Berbatov

Park - Scholes - Carrick - Hargreaves

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Brown

Foster​

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have to go with Fergie... I definately don't expect to win the scoucers all the time... I'm happy as long as we win most of it... We have to move on and avoid defeat at Stamford Bridge... It will be bad in the standing although still early in the season to be with 1 win 1 draw and 2 lost...

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
i havent seen a single response and fergie slating yet but as soon as the match begun i said to my friend - "if we don't get slattered now , fergie is a genius "...playing 4-3-3 is a brave thing to do at anfield...fergie seemed to forgot that all the greatest away( and home ) wins were in 4-4-1-1 formation...when he introduced giggs the win was given to them on a silver plate ...i mean so many wide players and a single cmf...disatreous...good thing it's the beginning of the season so it shouldn't affect us so much...
i would have played roo-tev upfront, and the midfield of fletcher-carrick-scholes-nani or giggs on the left...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote: Liverpool have no width, United actually do therefore should of used it rather than a striker and CM on the wings.

So you didnt notice this new Riera guy giving Brown a hard time and stopping him from ever getting forward??

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
like i said on a previous thread , fergie was just excited like us fans and played all 3 strikers , it looked a world beating side on paper, so i cannot blame him for that.
i think one of fergies weaknesses over the years is his inability to act quickly when things are not going well ,he never uses subs till the last 15 or 20 minutes .
he should have realised that we were being overun in midfield and brought on hargreaves instead of giggs when carrick went off.
but all in all we had a real off day just like the manchester derby at home last year , these things happen and hind sights a great thing .
i trust fergie to get it right against chelsea

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
based on what do people think that last season's away win to liverpool was a better performance or year before last ( sheasy's winner )...both times we were put under tramedeous dose of pressure and were very very lucky to get away with a win... as for our tacticts i completely agree it was wrong , because playing with only one cmf and with 4-5 wide attacking players is a suicide at anfield, but in all honesty liverpool didn't have but 1 good chance ( at least as i remember )...football is a relative game - the result changes everything - had there not been for vds's mistake everything could have been different and we would be celebrating a very good performance, as we did a year ago although it was a lot worse performance than saturday's. i don't know why fergie decided to play with 3 up front...maybe he was too eager to see how it will work . by playing all 3 at the same time he dodnt' have a backup plan...anyway - i'm unfased with a loss...not after last season

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Left one of Rooney or Tevez on the bench, had Fletch in the starting line up.. 442, with Rooney or Tevez playing behind Berba

1 - 20 of 21 Posts