Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anelka is top of prem scoring charts with 15 goals yet is out for 3 weeks at least so why are the strikers not performing this year ?

Season
Player(s)
Total

1992-93
Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham, incl one for Nottm Forest) *

1993-94
Andy Cole (Newcastle) *

1994-95
Alan Shearer (Blackburn) *

1995-96
Alan Shearer (Blackburn)

1996-97
Alan Shearer (Newcastle)

1996-97
Dion Dublin (Coventry), Michael Owen (Liverpool),
Chris Sutton (Blackburn)

1998-99
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (Leeds), Michel Owen (Liverpool),
Dwight Yorke (Man Utd)

1999-00
Kevin Phillips (Sunderland)

2000-01
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (Chelsea)

2001-02
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

2002-03
Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd)

2003-04
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

2004-05
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

2005-06
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

2006-07</STRONG>
Didier Drogba (Chelsea)

2007-08
Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)

* denotes 42-game seasoon

thats the top scorers list in previous years for you .

It seems to me that the league is a lot more defense minded than it was --teams coming to grounds solely intent on keeping the score down .:thumbsdownsmileyani

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Torres - injured most of the time

Drogba - Injured most of the time

Ronaldo - Injured at the start, playing in a different position this season.

Defoe - Injured recently.

Anelka - Playing one week then out the next.

Keane - Wasn't getting game time at Liverpool.

Berbatov - Not settled in yet.

Rooney - Had a few injuries.

Adebayor - Had a load of injuries.

Santa Cruz - Injury problems, playing in a side battling for relagation. Possibly second season syndrome.

Bent - Not playing enough.

Yakubu - Injuries again.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
What TM said.
and couple that with the fact that all the strikers on the list (Shearer, Cole, Henry etc..) > than the current strikers in the Prem.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Its just a weirdly low scoring season, been a strange one really. By the way what happened in 97-98? (and please don't say we gave away the title i meant goal scoring!)

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Defensively the league is ALOT stronger this year than I ever remember. Look at Wigan they have a ton of clean sheets this season. Everton another side, very hard to break down. then you have a lot of sides just putting everyone from behind the ball and goals from set pieces a lot more.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Strange alright but could it be the fact that more midfield players are playing in systems that gets them into the positions to score more regular? Lampard and Gerrard spring to mind in 4-5-1 systems. Cahill, different story, Everton had no strikers most of the season.

Just a thought

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Santa Cruz - Injury problems, playing in a side battling for relagation. Possibly second season syndrome.
Possibly? He is a shit footballer. Never had any real ability other than being not bad at finishing. If he could actually do more then other clubs might try to buy him.

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Possibly? He is a shit footballer. Never had any real ability other than being not bad at finishing. If he could actually do more then other clubs might try to buy him.
Blackburn ****ed up bad not selling him last year. They would have made a fortune. His value has probably halved now.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Here is one for the Berba camp - from the Klaas camp, with love:

UNITED DID NOT BUY HUNTELAAR!
:p

That's why Dick-less Anelka is top scorer with only 15 at the end of March

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Defensively the league is ALOT stronger this year than I ever remember. Look at Wigan they have a ton of clean sheets this season. Everton another side, very hard to break down. then you have a lot of sides just putting everyone from behind the ball and goals from set pieces a lot more.
You could be onto something there. Its a fact that the league is far stronger defesnsively over the last few years compared to the beginning of the Prem. There are also less shit teams as well, therefore less beatings, hat-tricks etc...

Here is one for the Berba camp - from the Klaas camp, with love:

UNITED DID NOT BUY HUNTELAAR!
:p

That's why Dick-less Anelka is top scorer with only 15 at the end of March
:rolleyes: Behave rfr :thumbsdownsmileyani

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1002 goals scored in 07-08 PL season

So far this season, 733 goals after all teams, bar United and Pompie, have played 30 games.

Overall the weekly average of goals scored is down.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Drogba and Torres would've no doubt topped the scoring list had they not been injured for a lot of the season.

As for Huntelaar, uh... Mateja Kezman, anyone?

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drogba and Torres would've no doubt topped the scoring list had they not been injured for a lot of the season.

citeh are after forlan !!!!!!! diego whooooaaahhh he came from uraguay he made the scousers cry

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
i just think that teams have become defesivly stronger and as mentined some of the top strikers and goalscoers have been injured for long periods too

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts

Considering Huntelaar has scored 8 goals in his last 6 games for Real Madrid, your comments are ill founded. If you had the intelligence to judge footballers on the skill they have, rather than just the parallel of them both having similar statistics in one league, you would not be making such ridiculous comments.

However I agree that had Torres not spent so much time injured he probably would have ran away with it. Maybe if Drogba had spent all season under Hiddink rather than Scolari, then he would have been up there too as you say.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Huntelaar went to La Liga. Kezman went to the Premiership. There's a difference. You nor I can ever find out how Huntelaar would have faired in the prem, so this debate is pointless.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think there are various reason which have amounted to an oddly low scoring season.

The 'big' teams' big guns have either been having off seasons are struggled with injuries. Ronaldo - injuries + hangover from last season + he is a winger! Adebayor - been having an off season, inflated ego from last season had lead to lack of effort. Drogba - Admitted himself he had lost his 'love' of football earlier in the season and wasn't putting the effort in, starting to seem a bit revitalised though. Torres - has spent nearly all of the season either injured or recovering from injury. Now he's had a good run in the team he's looking deadly again.

Also, its clear teams are much more tactically aware this season. Teams like Bolton, Fulham and West Ham that were tactically disorganised last season, have become excellent tactical units.

Another point worth making is that one-striker formations are really becoming more popular which provide solidarity and possession but hinder goal-scoring opportunities.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Huntelaar went to La Liga. Kezman went to the Premiership. There's a difference. You nor I can ever find out how Huntelaar would have faired in the prem, so this debate is pointless.
To be fair, Kezman went to La Liga from the Premiership and failed miserably there too! And no you're right, I cannot say exactly how Huntelaar would have done I'm no psychic, but from what I see of him I'm nigh on certain that put in any team that creates chances he would have scored plenty of goals.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
To be fair, Kezman went to La Liga from the Premiership and failed miserably there too! And no you're right, I cannot say exactly how Huntelaar would have done I'm no psychic, but from what I see of him I'm nigh on certain that put in any team that creates chances he would have scored plenty of goals.
While true, if Kezman had gone to La Liga at an earlier time in his career - when he was younger, and more confident - you never know what could've happened.

Ability-wise, Huntelaar > Kezman of course, but my point is, a lot of strikers in the Dutch league have had incredible goal-scoring records.

Huntelaar could've been a Kezman or a Ruud. We'll never know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts