Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Justice said:
SOMEONE doens't know his tactics!

Just because we play 1 striker doesn't mean we are being defensive.

Ronaldo and Nani on the wings cut in and get the goals too, they hang back because there so damn fast they could be sitting on our goal line and still race up for the counters.

Personally I think we NEED to play our 4-5-1 ALL THE TIME.

--------Basic back 4
-------------Carrick
-----Anderson--Scholes-----
Ronaldo------------------Nani
-------------Rooney-----------

You point out a flaw in that formation, I dare you.
Rooney is not Van Nistelrooy Torres or Drogba..he is a different type of player

We need two striker, so rooney can play with a partner and can be more dangerous

Nani must be numer one on the left, Giggs is in a bad condition

Yesterday I don't like Anderson but maybe he is my best player for the midfield

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
isnt it winning when ur not performing very well a sign of champions! (pompey game obviously excluded!) hey at least we're not on arsenal's run!!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Justice said:
SOMEONE doens't know his tactics!

Just because we play 1 striker doesn't mean we are being defensive.

Ronaldo and Nani on the wings cut in and get the goals too, they hang back because there so damn fast they could be sitting on our goal line and still race up for the counters.

Personally I think we NEED to play our 4-5-1 ALL THE TIME.

--------Basic back 4
-------------Carrick
-----Anderson--Scholes-----
Ronaldo------------------Nani
-------------Rooney-----------

You point out a flaw in that formation, I dare you.
Rooney's excel best when Fergie stationed him as a deep-lying forward/ supporting striker which is his natural position. He has to be paired with another striker as that's the only way to let him unleash his full potential against the opposition's back 4. Can ue actually believe how terrible he played when used a sole, lone striker who's isolated upfront?? In the first leg against Olympique Lyon, he was totally non-existent before Carlos Tevez's introduction. But the instant Tevez came on, Rooney burst into life once again. That's the difference mate!
Rooney is no centre-forward/target man, one who the manager usually stationed
him as the leading line of attack. Something that Rooney will never excel in. Putting him behind the target man, he could received all the knock-down balls & do something that he loves so much. Which is to go on his rampaging run into the opposition's penalty box area and then unleash a powerful thunderbolt right into the back of the net. He's not good in holding up the ball & bringing the rest of his team-mates into offensive play. B'coz that's what a target man should do. And bear in mind, he's not one. He's the link between midfield & striker that all the offensive play goes through him. He scores goals relying on his great technical ability, accurate passing skills and impressive vision, he has also been positioned as a playmaker in the central slot behind the forwards. In any zone surrounding the penalty area, his prowess as a creator of goals came to the fore.

·
23,699 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Rooney's excel best when Fergie stationed him as a deep-lying forward/ supporting striker which is his natural position. He has to be paired with another striker as that's the only way to let him unleash his full potential against the opposition's back 4. Can ue actually believe how terrible he played when used a sole, lone striker who's isolated upfront?? In the first leg against Olympique Lyon, he was totally non-existent before Carlos Tevez's introduction. But the instant Tevez came on, Rooney burst into life once again. That's the difference mate!
Rooney is no centre-forward/target man, one who the manager usually stationed
him as the leading line of attack. Something that Rooney will never excel in. Putting him behind the target man, he could received all the knock-down balls & do something that he loves so much. Which is to go on his rampaging run into the opposition's penalty box area and then unleash a powerful thunderbolt right into the back of the net. He's not good in holding up the ball & bringing the rest of his team-mates into offensive play. B'coz that's what a target man should do. And bear in mind, he's not one. He's the link between midfield & striker that all the offensive play goes through him. He scores goals relying on his great technical ability, accurate passing skills and impressive vision, he has also been positioned as a playmaker in the central slot behind the forwards. In any zone surrounding the penalty area, his prowess as a creator of goals came to the fore.
:) :) Have we discussed via PM before?;)

·
Banned
198 Posts
eh, signior, but what about rOONEY when he played under Capello's first match as a lone striker. he performed really well there, like he was used to playing as a lone striker. So maybe if we have a side midfielder who can be a interlinking striker, ala joe cole mould, rooney could be effective...

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
The apparent lack of form of Rooney is beginning to concern me. The number of minutes/games to goals ratio is increasing quite dramatically. He is supposedly a striker, we tend to play him otherwise, but a striker nevertheless. When he was "striking" we were doing really well, and getting lots of goals, now, from Wayne, nothing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have no worries about United's form of late. okay we have gone a couple of games where we have struggled for goals however as long as our general teamwork,passing and chance creation is holding up the goals will come.Yes its not united's way to scrape 1 nillers however these type of results are essential in a 38 game season in testing out character. unlike arsenal in recent weeks We did not allow ourselves to get frustrated and blame everybody else for our shortcomings.

I felt also this particualr game was a potential banana skin as Paul Jewell is a terrific manager and sooner or later he would get a big performance from his team. queroz is quoted in a previuos post as saying we are treating every game like a cup final which is encouraging and shows every forthcoming opposition is treated with the respect vthey deserve. I wonder for example do the Gooners approach games with the same attitude. Not imo.

Therefore i am very confident that we will be back amongst the goals starting this wednesday against Bolton.wE owe them one from December so the lads will have no problem getting up for this one. then its the scousers and I know we'll b e at our best for that one. Our supporters will not settle for less.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
the bad form v lyon then v portsmoth and then v derby scared me i think if we dont improve our play and win againts BOLTON WE WILL NOT BE 3 POINT AHEAD OF ARSENAL :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think given the choice, everyone would rather win by 5 or 6 goals, rather than by one. But at this stage of the season if we're picking up the wins, I'm not going going to complain.

Just look at the back end of last season. We weren't scoring many then, but we were stong enough to see of Chelsea and bring the league title home. Plus tyhis year we have a much stronger squad, so we must be in with a chance of two trophies, even if that will require a bit of luck.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Wayne Rooney's scoring is not his main area of his game. Never has been, never will be.

This season we've been using his as the main forward, which I think has hampered him a little. He likes the hole, which worked wonders when Saha played last season.

·
Registered
854 Posts
ye rooney's lack of goals.
giggs and scholes are becoming less influential understandable but sad nonetheless.
relying on ronaldo every single week, the boy can't do it every game, he's trying his best tho.
maybe too many cms also. i know some people say u can't have too many players but don't we give out when pool change their team constantly. i don't tink any1 knows who are 1st choice cm pairing is this season
hargreeves-17 mill.
that money shud hav been used for a target man.
all midfielders lack of goals.

all this and we are top of the league and champions league quarter final. i'll never be happy.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the problem seems to have started when scholes returned to the team ,he his not the great player he was,you hardley see him arrive in the box anymore and he can't run around like the younger lads either.its time to have faith in carrick anderson hargreaves and fletcher and let them guide us.the fact that convinced me was in a few of scholes games ,he was replaced and utd improved and scored after he had gone off.:(

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
A good point which I have touched upon in other threads.

For those of you wearing rosy glasses, take them off a moment. Scholes has been a terrific player for us and is, I think, now in the legend status (something I do not give lightly). BUT - he is no longer Paul Scholes who many of you grew up watching - he is too old now for the speed and pace that United use every week. Giggs is the same, he is "past news" and this is the reason Fergie mentioned only recently that, for "sentiments sake" he would use Paul in a CL final. Even Fergie realises that Paul is no longer Mr Auto Choice.

The main midfield now, or should be, Ronaldo, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Nani (perm any 4 from the 6)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
hmm - let's see - what's wrong with the tightest defence , the best attack and the league leaders who have a game in hand and the best goal difference...i'm not so sure i understand the thread - :p

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
To understand this thread you have to look at the "way" United have been playing this season. Also you have to look at the fact that most United fans, especially those under 30, have been spoilt rotten by Fergie and his teams. Anything less than perfection is frowned upon.

United this season have, perfromance wise, been lacking BY PREVIOUS STANDARDS.

I too am disappointed by this season's levels of performance - we are no longer "invincible" at home; we do not perform at home. Our better performances are always away.

If United are THAT bad - it does not say a lot for the rest of the division, supposedly the best Div in the world!! But we are judging on top standards, maybe we should not, I don't know?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts