Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're at the halfway point (well almost) and there are a few pros and cons from the season thus far.

The team hasn't really moved out of second gear yet and even when the team did play in third gear, the play in the final third of the pitch still has not been convincing.

Some of the attacking players still can improve their decision-making.

At the end of last season, a lot of us were looking forward to the progress of Anderson, as well as Nani, but I don't think we have seen great improvement yet.

Nani has been used sparingly and whenever he has played, has frustrated more than impressed. I certainly do not detect more maturity or improvement in his play.

In contrast Anderson HAS been solid and has been displaying maturity, but I think his improvement has stalled somewhat and he seems too content to be defensive.
He should not be content to just hang back and be tidy, but should look to expend his game going forward to offer more attacking options to the team.

The start/stop season of Carlos Tevez has also been a source of concern, as well as debate and I wished Berba would score more in the league.

I've heard he has been instructed to drop deep, so his team mates learn how to play with him, but my word sometimes is is frustrating to see 11 players on the pitch and not one of them playing like a striker.

By the same token, I think it's pretty good that we are still in 4 competitions without even getting out of second gear most o the time. Imagine what will happen when the team finally move up the gears. I think Chelski and Liverfools will be quite worried.

Also, the rise to prominence of Rafel da Silva has been nothing short of inspiring. I think most members will agree that the sight of his swashbuckling displays has excited us on more than one occasion and he SHOULD be a contender for the PFA Young POTY Award.

I'm also quite pleased with Michael Carrick scoring a couple of goals and creating a few too. He has also become more difficult to be dispossessed and has been running with the ball more often.

Rooney's form in October was pretty amazing and Darren Fletcher has improved to the point where he can come in to the team and do a good job.

The continuing solidity of Ferdinand's and Vidic's partnership has also been pleasing and Patrice Evra deserves as many accolades as he can get, because the man is a single-minded warrior and the perfect picture of determination so far this season - as he was last season. He's been ahead of Clichy this season and deserves to be voted best left back come May.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'm frustrated to be honest, if we would have taken care of business vs. Spurs/Villa and Newcastle which are teams we usually beat, especially in where the games were played, then we'd be in cruise control.

I also think we have the best fullback combo, in the world. Which will only get better and better too.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
piazza said:
I'm frustrated to be honest, if we would have taken care of business vs. Spurs/Villa and Newcastle which are teams we usually beat, especially in where the games were played, then we'd be in cruise control.

I also think we have the best fullback combo, in the world. Which will only get better and better too.

Agreed we can look back at the 3 draws as dropped points I was at the newcastle match we were real poor that day .

We always come stronger in the second half of the season so Im not at all worried I think we will take the title at a canter to be honest .

As for out full backs yeah they are up there with the best Evra being the best and rafael having loads of potential .

But for me the best set of full backs at the moment are Sanga and Clichy of Arsenal who have both been Arsenal's best players for the last two seasons .

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
I'm quite pleased, and very excited.
our away form has been very poor, but then we have played all of the hardest away games in my view this year.
our home form has been absolutely solid in the league, barring the opening day slip up, which is a united custom these days.
with two games in hand, we could be a point off liverpool by the end of february, and playing them mid-march, so they might start to feel the heat. that would be when i reckon they will start to fall.
we've been very leisurely so far, but we usually rise to top form in the second half, and that will be vital being in all four competitions still.
we've won the world club cup, and while the merit of that trophy is still debatable, it's pretty clear that the players have taken the positives, and the return with a win yesterday would probably confirm the trip as a success.
we got through in the champions league. we rarely entertained, but let's hope that such play is being saved for the tests that the next rounds will bring.
rafael has been a revelation, i said it a few weeks back, but with consistent appearances in the league, at such a high level that he has set himself, and he could be a good contender for young player of the year. likewise, evra has again been marvellous, best left back in the world at a canter for me. rio and vidic have sometimes been slightly shaky, but i still wouldn't swap them for anyone. the centre of midfield seems to be able to switch personnel without too much problem, and once berbatov starts to find the net i think we could be on for another great season.
we're spoilt as united fans, i hope we're satisfied again come may.
half way-nothing's lost, nothing's won and there's everything to play for

·
Registered
141 Posts
the sooner berbatov and ronaldo start improving the better we are missing ronaldos goals from last year and berbatov is goal shy too

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, I've really got mixed emotions at this point.

We've played poorly at times, and are not playing anywhere near as well as we were at the same point last season. We've missed two opportunites to close the gap at the top (Aston Villa and Spurs) where we lacked any sense of urgency and looked like we didn't want to win the games.

However, considering that, we are still in 4 competitions in which we can only get better, and we have the advantage in the title race. 7 points behind, with 2 games in hand and going to face the other title rivals, as well as the derby and the 4th/5th team (Villa) at home.

There have also been some quite poor decisions made in team selection and, substitutions especially imo. I don't know whether thats because of Queiroz leaving (considering the stories about his thoughts and ideas when it came to subsitutions.) The mentality of some of the substitutions have been bad, such as needing a goal and putting midfielders on instead of strikers or taking a striker off first etc.

The signing of Berbatov, which was overpriced, has not improved the team or the forward-line, and so far our performances have been worse than last season. We have also made him undroppable it seems, which may be part of the problem. We also seem to still have something missing from the forward line, which was why I didn't want him. But I'll give him more time and see what comes.

Berbatovs entrance has also affected Tevez form and others chances. Tevez has not had a great season since Berbatov came, but at the beginning and recently his form has improved, and he scored a vital goal yesterday. Manucho and Welbecks chances have also been restricted, but perhaps that has also been due to results as well as his entrance.

The behaviour of a certain someone has not been acceptable, and on more than one occasion him and Rooney have lost their rag. They haven't been punished for it yet, but it's danagerous and could well cost us in one game, or in a few. We have to get it sorted before it has cost us.

Overall though, I think it could be better. However, we must be in the driving seat, and add that to the fact that our form can only get better, I think there's a lot of reasons to be positive.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
No where near our best IMO. I don't think we've put in a good 90 minutes so far
and our best performance was at home to WBA. You could probably make a case
for the first half hour or so at both Aresnal and Chelsea but 30 minutes is only 1/3
of the game!

We've been stuck in 3rd gear all year and yet, still in poll position IMO, with 2
games in hand and the biggies all to come a knocking on OT...our away form has
been woeful to me. Really lacking a goalscoring threat at times, ironic since we
bought a 30M striker...but as said, we're in such a good position...to be honest,
we SHOULD have been further off the pace, much much further IMO, and lucky
we're not. But we're in a great position, so lets hope the New Year can see us
push on!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
4/10

no one player has had any bit of consistency. we have won games through pure grit and determination and grinding teams down rather than playing them off the park.

if we put performances like we have against the top 3 we will get beat again by majority of them. nine goals away from home is not acceptable from team wanting to be called contenders for the title.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RedAdam said:
I'm quite pleased, and very excited.
our away form has been very poor, but then we have played all of the hardest away games in my view this year.
our home form has been absolutely solid in the league, barring the opening day slip up, which is a united custom these days.
with two games in hand, we could be a point off liverpool by the end of february, and playing them mid-march, so they might start to feel the heat. that would be when i reckon they will start to fall.
we've been very leisurely so far, but we usually rise to top form in the second half, and that will be vital being in all four competitions still.
we've won the world club cup, and while the merit of that trophy is still debatable, it's pretty clear that the players have taken the positives, and the return with a win yesterday would probably confirm the trip as a success.
we got through in the champions league. we rarely entertained, but let's hope that such play is being saved for the tests that the next rounds will bring.
rafael has been a revelation, i said it a few weeks back, but with consistent appearances in the league, at such a high level that he has set himself, and he could be a good contender for young player of the year. likewise, evra has again been marvellous, best left back in the world at a canter for me. rio and vidic have sometimes been slightly shaky, but i still wouldn't swap them for anyone. the centre of midfield seems to be able to switch personnel without too much problem, and once berbatov starts to find the net i think we could be on for another great season.
we're spoilt as united fans, i hope we're satisfied again come may.
half way-nothing's lost, nothing's won and there's everything to play for

Pretty good summary as far as I'm concerned and I agree about the FIFA Club World Cup. I don't think the players share the save view as people on forums - they loved winning that trophy. It was a boost for them and as the pictures showed they celebrated it with gusto and joy, showing what it meant to them.

To me, the Stoke game was important. As I predicted in the matchday thread Fergie would change things a little to rest certain players after the trip and we still got the win.

Neville, Scholes, Giggs, O'Shea and Fletcher came in and we still managed to get a win. I think it might have been the first league game when all three of the old guard played from the start.

It also took a late winner to grab all three points and the game will serve as a reminder of what it takes to win the league and a boost to the team that they can do it.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
manutd004 said:
Well, I've really got mixed emotions at this point.

We've played poorly at times, and are not playing anywhere near as well as we were at the same point last season. We've missed two opportunites to close the gap at the top (Aston Villa and Spurs) where we lacked any sense of urgency and looked like we didn't want to win the games.

However, considering that, we are still in 4 competitions in which we can only get better, and we have the advantage in the title race. 7 points behind, with 2 games in hand and going to face the other title rivals, as well as the derby and the 4th/5th team (Villa) at home.

There have also been some quite poor decisions made in team selection and, substitutions especially imo. I don't know whether thats because of Queiroz leaving (considering the stories about his thoughts and ideas when it came to subsitutions.) The mentality of some of the substitutions have been bad, such as needing a goal and putting midfielders on instead of strikers or taking a striker off first etc.

The signing of Berbatov, which was overpriced, has not improved the team or the forward-line, and so far our performances have been worse than last season. We have also made him undroppable it seems, which may be part of the problem. We also seem to still have something missing from the forward line, which was why I didn't want him. But I'll give him more time and see what comes.

Berbatovs entrance has also affected Tevez form and others chances. Tevez has not had a great season since Berbatov came, but at the beginning and recently his form has improved, and he scored a vital goal yesterday. Manucho and Welbecks chances have also been restricted, but perhaps that has also been due to results as well as his entrance.

The behaviour of a certain someone has not been acceptable, and on more than one occasion him and Rooney have lost their rag. They haven't been punished for it yet, but it's danagerous and could well cost us in one game, or in a few. We have to get it sorted before it has cost us.

Overall though, I think it could be better. However, we must be in the driving seat, and add that to the fact that our form can only get better, I think there's a lot of reasons to be positive.
Spot on about the team selections.

I also think that Carlos Q is not there to stop Fergie bringing on his favourites, when someone else would be more appropriate. It certainly has effected the team in games.

Regarding Berba seemingly being "undroppable", I think it's down to nobody really being in great form and his touch and creativity has been needed. If Rooney and Tevez were on fire, I don't think he would be an automatic choice, but thus far nobody has really hit the highs, so Fergie might as well play the new expensive signing, who also happens to bring some height to the forward line, as well as the ability to keep the ball under pressure.

But as I've said before, sometimes we have 11 players on the pitch, but not a single one is playing like a striker.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
To be honest our season hasn't gone that well so far but it also hasn't gone that bad, but draws at newcastle and villa are pathetic we beat them both last season twice infact villa 3 times. We cannot afford to be drawing anymore wins from now on lol. Hopefully we end 2008 with a big win at boro tonight and show the two above us we mean business. Im sure we'll beat boro tonight im hoping for 4-0 and a rooney hattrick lol :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
This must be our season for sure. I cant see us not winning this year. The team performance so far have been anything but United standard but still we're in just a point behind the "fools on fire" if we win the games we got in hand. If Drogba hits form Chelsea could be a threat with Charming Phil at touch line but ...no.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The game that we play hasn't seems to be flowing well, the wins are just way not too convincingly. Sure hope that the next part of the season, we can do better. Really afraid that those miss chances would cause us something sooner or later. By far of what we have interms of scoring in away games are really pathetic. I not sure about you guys, but it seems to me that the fixtures are always against us...We have to play the big teams to and fro very often... Hopefully the break will give us an opportunity to turn things around...

All the best in the coming year of 2009...
Let's even the record with the scoucers...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Keano! said:
No where near our best IMO. I don't think we've put in a good 90 minutes so far and our best performance was at home to WBA. You could probably make a case for the first half hour or so at both Aresnal and Chelsea but 30 minutes is only 1/3 of the game!

We've been stuck in 3rd gear all year and yet, still in poll position IMO, with 2 games in hand and the biggies all to come a knocking on OT...our away form has been woeful to me. Really lacking a goalscoring threat at times, ironic since we bought a 30M striker...but as said, we're in such a good position...to be honest, we SHOULD have been further off the pace, much much further IMO, and lucky we're not. But we're in a great position, so lets hope the New Year can see us push on!
Agree.

It's really quite simple, if we begin to play with a sense of REAL urgency for 90 minutes, the goals will come and we will win the title. Unfortunately, we have yet to do that.....

Still, I keep waiting and hoping!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
not all the players are performing

and then that lack of goals puts HUGE pressure on berbatov as he was bought for such amount of money

i dont know what will happen in summer

i wanted Madrid to buy tevez for some good amounts of money and we get some out-and-out striker with that money
but they bought huntelaar

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Revanth said:
not all the players are performing

and then that lack of goals puts HUGE pressure on berbatov as he was bought for such amount of money

i dont know what will happen in summer

i wanted Madrid to buy tevez for some good amounts of money and we get some out-and-out striker with that money
but they bought huntelaar

Tevez does not belong to us yet.

he is on loan at man Utd. He can move to Madrid without us seeing a penny unless we complete his transfer first.

·
Registered
605 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Tevez does not belong to us yet.

he is on loan at man Utd. He can move to Madrid without us seeing a penny unless we complete his transfer first.
ya
i forgot

i was actually thinking of saying
buy a pure striker rather than buying tevez

i like tevezbut think hez not the one needed now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts